Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Cox_ba12

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 6:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Empty
Live on Patrol

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day...

Go down

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Empty And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day...

Post  Kim Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:55 pm

So, since my Monday has been granted Good MoJo, I took advantage of the momentum and started the Lazy Bee's replacement rudder. I was working on the Bee last year, lost my grip, and slammed it onto the floor grabbing at it. The Bee survived all kinds of hijinks just to get it's rudder smashed in the shop.

Lazy Bee rudders are not your normal sheet or stick balsa affairs. Andy Clancy loves laminated bows for the edges of his flying machines: strips of 1/16th balsa, soaked in hot water, pulled through a towel, soaked again with diluted white glue, and wrapped around a form three or four deep, and allowed to dry.

Glued to a framework, and sanded to shape, they're light and very strong, 'till you slam-dunk them to the floor.

I got the bow made up a few weeks ago after finding the form I'd cut back in the 90's, and found the plans for the rudder on the first try.

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... 1_15

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... 2_16

My Lazy Bee was part of the Swarm of Bee's at the last S.M.A.L.L. Fly-In's I hit back in the late 1990's to 2000 or so...and I want it back in the air for the upcoming Fly-In in June.

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... S_m_a_11

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... S_m_a_12

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Empty Re: And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day...

Post  KariFS Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:39 pm

Nice laminating Smile I've never done that but have some old timer designs on "the list" that feature laminated wing tips and tail feathers.

What are the little pieces of balsa under the bow at the joins for?

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Empty Re: And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day...

Post  NEW222 Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:49 pm

Gotta love a Bee. I am in process of building one also. Pretty much complete with the exception of an elevator issue that has already underwent surgery once for the same thing. Always heard they were good fliers. This was also my first attempt at the lamination process, and found it a bit challenging at first, but the strength was good, again with the exception of my elevator half!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:22 pm

KariFS wrote:Nice laminating Smile I've never done that but have some old timer designs on "the list" that feature laminated wing tips and tail feathers.

What are the little pieces of balsa under the bow at the joins for?

Thanks! This stuff is fun (WHEN you're in the mood for it!) and fairly rewarding when it turns out right.

The 1/16 balsa shims suspend the rudder bow up off the plan (there really ought to be more), and align it with the center of the rudder spar. The flat 'ribs' wrap around the rudder spar and are centered and glued to the middle of the bow.

It's taking some extra time because I'm using the last of my precious Ambroid for this project. It sands the same as balsa when I start flat-sanding the joints and rounding the edges of the rudder.

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... 3_16

This same technique is used in the stabilizer of the Sterling 'Minnie Mambo' and other old-school types.

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... 5_11

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... 4_12
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:27 pm

NEW222 wrote:Gotta love a Bee. I am in process of building one also. Pretty much complete with the exception of an elevator issue that has already underwent surgery once for the same thing. Always heard they were good fliers. This was also my first attempt at the lamination process, and found it a bit challenging at first, but the strength was good, again with the exception of my elevator half!

Good Luck With Your Bee...and it's elevator! They're great flyers, and tolerant of all kinds of shenanigans! Just watch your speed and avoid really hard pulls, and the thing will last for a LONG time !!!

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Lazy_s10

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Lazy_s11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:03 am

Kim that Bee is looking GOOD , I suppose dope and silk are in order / Good to see your back on the project it will defiantly be a shower at the SMALL fly in . New I didn't know you had one being built also, Eric Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:32 am

getback wrote:Kim that Bee is looking GOOD , I suppose dope and silk are in order / Good to see your back on the project it will defiantly be a shower at the SMALL fly in . New I didn't know you had one being built also,  Eric Popcorn  

Thanks Eric, but I accidently mislead you. These are photos of when the Bee was being built back in 1993 or so...it's not quite as pretty now, but WILL be at S.M.A.L.L. in June.

Sneaky Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:33 am

Kim, that laminated rudder turned out very well. It reminded me that this lamination process was popular on French combat planes in the 70's. 1975's European vice champion combat Jean Bernard Morelle used this technique to "mass produce" the trailing edge of the GHIBLI. The different strips were glued and held between wooden formers and then sanded to shape. The leading edge was also laminated. He also used lamination on the trailing egde of the EUROPA 77.

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Imgp9221

Years later, he designed the NAJ MINI 92, a combat plane for the then existing 1,5cc class. The leading edge was a laminated piece with a carbon sheet in between the wood. The half round shaped profile was the glued against a carbon arrow.

Detail from the plan:

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Imgp4511

Some pictures the leading edge of the NAJ MINI 92 I have that was made by JB Morelle

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Imgp2010

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Imgp4510

And a Little Balsa Chopping to Wind Up the Day... Imgp4512
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down