Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Performance Question - Prop Pitch/Length Cox_ba12

Performance Question - Prop Pitch/Length Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Performance Question - Prop Pitch/Length Empty
Live on Patrol

Performance Question - Prop Pitch/Length

Go down

Performance Question - Prop Pitch/Length Empty Performance Question - Prop Pitch/Length

Post  anm2 Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:58 am

Last year a purchased a couple of old Babe Bee Engines on Ebay. This morning, I decided crank one up without any maintenance. After determining I was missing a head gasket, and replacing the needle valve, she started up and ran very easily. Very smooth running at about 12,800 RPM with a 6X3 Prop and 14,600 with a 5X3 prop. If I was going to fly a slab wing trainer with this engine, would it fly better with a 6X3 or a 5X3 prop, or would it make no difference at all? Thanks, Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Performance Question - Prop Pitch/Length Empty Re: Performance Question - Prop Pitch/Length

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:37 pm

Andy, I can assume that this is for control line? If so, the Babe Bee if a true single ported bee would probably do better using the 6x3. Essentially, the slab wing trainers are generally heavy and have little to no airfoil. They're designed to take the rigors of hard landings and mishaps. What this usually equates to is little to no maneuvering capabilities. While the Bee has the ability to turn up some more rpm's, the smaller prop can be handicapped here and not provide enough drive. This isn't always the situation however and it can go completely opposite. This is why experimenting means everything. What I will say is that for the single ported Bee, the 6x3 is the ole standby prop. A smaller prop can decrease air time equally due to higher rpm's. I would get some time on the plane with the 6x3 and familiarize yourself with it's characteristics and switch to the smaller just to see. If more power is needed, adding a dual port cylinder would certainly offer some guts to it. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Performance Question - Prop Pitch/Length Empty Re: Performance Question - Prop Pitch/Length

Post  pkrankow Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:56 pm

I prefer a 6x3 for most flying as it provides more thrust due to a larger area of air moved. The RPM take a hit vs the 5x3.

With a smaller plane that is lighter the smaller prop will perform better, lets say sub 5oz.

Getting to a 6 or 7 oz plane the 6x3

For control line on a reed .049 getting much above 7 oz is going to be a difficult thing if you want to do stunts with the plane.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:23 am

Andy, it's fun to experiment with different props. One thing to try is L/H props. There are two sizes that come to mind; 6" x 2" and 5" x 3.5" the latter of which (3-blade) Bernie currently has in stock. The 6" x 2" was standard on the PT19 Flight Trainer. Left-hand props torque-roll the airplane to the right (assuming a ccw flight direction) thus improving line-tension. Little details like this can help.. especially if you're flying on a breezy day. Bernie also stocks a 2-blade 4.5" x 4" L/H prop. Left-hand zero-drag starter-springs are hard to find.. but Bernie does have the cam-style in stock.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down