Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Facebook Cox Model Engine Owners Club Cox_ba12

Facebook Cox Model Engine Owners Club Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Today at 11:03 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 10:41 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Facebook Cox Model Engine Owners Club Empty
Live on Patrol

Facebook Cox Model Engine Owners Club

Go down

Facebook Cox Model Engine Owners Club Empty Facebook Cox Model Engine Owners Club

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:30 pm

Today, I came across this Facebook Group by Warren Leadbeatter, a Cox engine guru:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coxengines/
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Facebook Cox Model Engine Owners Club Empty Re: Facebook Cox Model Engine Owners Club

Post  TopBannana Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:20 pm

I was just checking this out, and i just requested to join! I never even knew it was there lol!
TopBannana
TopBannana
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Facebook Cox Model Engine Owners Club Empty Re: Facebook Cox Model Engine Owners Club

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:39 am

Moderator (Mark) of the 049 collectors posed the question a couple of months ago, whether they stay as is or become a facebook group. The response was overwhelmingly anti-facebook. Personally I don't like it. I find it confusing. That and the fact that I don't support it becuse I find it socially irresponsible. The addiction to it has played a big part in my son's demise. Has his nose buried in the iPhone 22 hours a day, to the point that he now has to take sleeping pills to sleep because he would stay on it all night & keep the brain buzzing flat-out.

I'm sure Warren would do a commendable job of running it, but I won't be going there. Happy as Larry right here thanks.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:58 am

I joined that Facebook group.. as well as a few other model pages. I'm not as entrenched in Facebook as most people I know. I look at it more as an information thing.. rather than a social thing. I don't get involved with any of the games (Candy Crush etc.) It's up to the individual; how much they let it occupy their time. If your a productive person.. you won't spend too much time there.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:29 am

I can see why Mark Boesen is using Facebook. Yahoo has taken a subtle anti-groups stance by changing the forum user interfaces from the easy to see traditional layout to one chalked full of ads, it is difficult to follow threads, difficult to navigate, and etc. Link to Yahoo Groups is buried under their menuing system, takes several screens to get to. Before, it used to be one of the best laid out interfaces until these so called revolutionary changes were accomplished. Basically I see Yahoo wants to kill off their groups. Regardless the reason, it is no longer a joy to use.

Regarding Facebook, it is basically what a person makes of it. Yes, if a person lacks self control it can be addicting. I don't spend a whole lot of time there. I have my posts for "friends only", mainly use it to communicate with family and friends. The various CL and engine groups I find interesting and informative.

One may not be able to prevent a bird from landing on their head, but they can prevent it from building a nest there. Eyebrows Tired w/ Coffee Read Popcorn lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:17 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:

Regarding Facebook, it is basically what a person makes of it. Yes, if a person lacks self control it can be addicting. I don't spend a whole lot of time there. I have my posts for "friends only", mainly use it to communicate with family and friends. The various CL and engine groups I find interesting and informative.

One may not be able to prevent a bird from landing on their head, but they can prevent it from building a nest there. Eyebrows Tired w/ Coffee Read Popcorn lol!

Same for me.  There's a TON of interesting stuff in the various groups, and it provides a venue for those who aren't members of specific groups.  MY only issues were early-on, when I foolishly allowed some of my low-life relatives to join my page, then dumping them when they displayed the idiotic filth that got them booted from my life long ago.

"Never try to teach a pig to fly---it wastes your time, and annoys the pig"

.....not sure of the author, but he must have known some of my family...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:35 am

Thought I'd post these. With the Ringmaster Fly-a-Thon approaching, this sort of "Readers Digest" version of the Ringmaster's Page provides another venue.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RingmasterFlyAThon/?multi_permalinks=1217885358235420¬if_t=group_highlights¬if_id=1469749581686658

https://www.facebook.com/groups/154625746626/

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Moderator (Mark) of the 049 collectors posed the question a couple of months ago, whether they stay as is or become a facebook group.  The response was overwhelmingly anti-facebook.  Personally I don't like it.  I find it confusing.  That and the fact that I don't support it becuse I find it socially irresponsible.  The addiction to it has played a big part in my son's demise.  Has his nose buried in the iPhone 22 hours a day, to the point that he now has to take sleeping pills to sleep because he would stay on it all night & keep the brain buzzing flat-out.  

I'm sure Warren would do a commendable job of running it, but I won't be going there.  Happy as Larry right here thanks.

X2

I'm not on facebook either and have no desire to be.  Racing here after breakfast is my only internet vice.  I just have to keep abreast of all the interesting projects that you guys post about. But after a half hour or so I'm outta here, places to go things to do.  

I did watch the movie "The Social Network" and found it well presented and interesting.  Seems Zuckerberg (wrong spelling maybe) wasn't going to see it, then relented and rented a theater for his whole group to see.  Mentioned if I recall correctly that the only thing they got right was his clothing.  Background music was catchy.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:58 pm

I avoid Facebook like I would the plague and would advise anyone participating on Facebook (or any social media site)to take care with regard to privacy.

While I recognise that at my age I do not understand why anyone would want to publish details and diarise entire lifestyles for the World to read. There is a concept of privacy and it is easy for that to be breached and abused.

Everyone needs to take care with the Internet. It is not safe - I have recently been through an excercise at work with the uses of "Social Engineering" to infiltrate our networks. This was horrifying! I won't go into details but, although we spend thousands of pounds on external security and cannot be hacked from the outside in, manipulating individuals from information gleaned from social media Facebook, Linkedin .............. leaves people wide open to being conned, scammed and lured into situations where their passwords are breached.

I cringe when I see someone reveal their home address on this site. Combine that with then telling everyone that you are going on holiday and the place will be nice and empty! (I have yet to see that combination here by the way).

So on some of the links above - I see home addresses and full contact details !!!!!!!!!

Passwords are not secure - do not use the same password on every site. At the moment eight character passwords can easily be cracked (brute forced) using "off the shelf" equipment. I found that password security is worse than I thought - because major sites have been hacked and user databases stolen - hackers now do not need to "brute force" passwords. From one particular site - 40 million passwords were obtained - and although you may think that no one would attempt to try 40 million passwords to enter a site - they don't have to.

Your passwords are usually hashed (encrypted) and stored in cookies....... and some websites are quite capable of reading the encrypted passwords and decoding them against the databases of millions of passwords and even "brute forcing" them. Once they have one of your passwords - remember that if you use the same password for everything ................

These may seem boring but I recommend viewing these - then worry! I mean worry!

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum