Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2018
1/2A Nut's

"Speedy Teedy .020"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs

Post  OVERLORD on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:13 am

The hull is totally covered. Maybe I'll stick some more deco on, a number or sponsors names...

OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:06 pm

That's pretty COOL Lieven! Cool I'll admit.. I had to look-up "John Player" on the web, to understand the connection. The Cox Black Lynx engine is going to look real sharp mounted on there!
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky on Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:16 pm

It’s a really “Smoking Hot” model!! To quote the late John Lennon “Sir Walter Rahlgh was such a stupid get”. Although it needs an obscene amount of gold pinstripes to keep up with the rest of the paddock. lol!
Super job on the build and covering!
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:24 am

Thanks guys. Plans were to put the gold lettering on the black background. I found out how to create the gold colour in WORD. I also downloaded the letter type proper to "John Player Special" tu use in Word. But once printed on transparent vinyl and stuck on the black background, the gold colour is not "dense" enough to remain gold. The results are better when stuck on white.
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:57 am

Looks Great !! Can't wait to see her in action !! I like the bubble with the spaceman effect Clapping Clapping
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:03 am

I started to finish the pylon. After glueing the tank and the hidden nuts to hold the engine, it was all covered with balsa. Then I shaped it with a plane and sand paper.

OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:19 am

The finished boat weights 360g with radio gear. Add the pilot and it will be 370g.

OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:25 am

Sweet Overlord , i like the way you shaped the narticle? engine mount !lol! came out nice !! Get that little man in there .
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:32 am

WOW!!! That is really sharp Lieven! It sits nice in the water too. Another Masterpiece!! Thumbs Up
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:35 am

VERY NICE! I like how the red colour of canopy bracket-thing "resonates" with the backplate of the engine Thumbs Up Engine fairing/nacelle is also cool, with the "kamm-tail" style. And as usual in your project, superb workmanship🍺

Sits nice in the water too as Roddie said, although the owner of the test pool (seen in the background) doesn't look too pleased lol!
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:21 am

The pilot is in!! I painted him yesterday evening as he looked a bit pale in white plastic.

The centre of gravity is right on the central fin which corresponds with the engine's crankcase. If necessary, I can move the battery. Now, the battery lays flat against the rear bulkhead of the radio compartment.

We have 2 pigmy goats. The one on the picture is the biggest one. They're both boys and they are good fun. The Kamm tail was not made on purpose and I didn't realise it until you mentioned it Kari.

Thanks for your comments.
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:34 pm

I have bad luck. I checked the Black Lynx engine and discovered a lot of play of the crankshaft in the crankcase bore. In fact, It's like waving a pencil in the Albert Hall. I tried to get some life out of it but after squirting a little fuel in the cylinder which would make it rev instantly resulted only in a rocking piston slamming the crank up and down. I don't know how the Black Lynx engine is assembled but this was a really bad match.
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Post a vid when you get this one running at the local pond!

Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:23 pm

OVERLORD wrote:I have bad luck. I checked the Black Lynx engine and discovered a lot of play of the crankshaft in the crankcase bore. In fact, It's like waving a pencil in the Albert Hall. I tried to get some life out of it but after squirting a little fuel in the cylinder which would make it rev instantly resulted only in a rocking piston slamming the crank up and down. I don't know how the Black Lynx engine is assembled but this was a really bad match.

Geez.. that's a shame Lieven. I wonder if the crankshaft was machined incorrectly? Do you have a micrometer to check its' dimensions against a known/good crankshaft? Alternately; a spare crankcase to check whether the Lynx-crank fits with less slop? Had you run this engine at all before discovering this? Maybe Matt will help you out with a replacement bottom-end. I don't know if the Black Lynx comes with a H/D crankshaft.. but it seems I remember there were some defective H/D cranks sourced a while back. I don't know if it was Matt, Bernie or "both" that had them.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Matt will definitely clear matters up. Sometimes these things happen, I imagine all “new” engines are assembled with a mismatch of NOS and re-manufactured parts. Sometimes it works out and sometimes not. Anyway, a quick phone call or email will remedy the problem.

Ron
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:41 pm

roddie wrote: I don't know if the Black Lynx comes with a H/D crankshaft.. but it seems I remember there were some defective H/D cranks sourced a while back. I don't know if it was Matt, Bernie or "both" that had them.  

Those were the first batch that had the hole in the center of the crank web. The prop screw hole wasn’t centered on some of those. This was at least 6 or 7 years ago.

The latest HD cranks from Matt had good fit and finish. I just put one in a Texaco engine with a new red crankcase.

It’s possible you got a crank on the lower end of the acceptable diameter and a crankcase on the upper end of the acceptable diameter resulting in a tolerance stack up issue.
Jason_WI
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3