Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Comet Belond
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Tee Dee .010 exhaust restricter
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane
by Cribbs74 Yesterday at 11:29 pm

» Pee Wee Horseshoe back plate
by fit90 Yesterday at 7:18 pm

» Lil Tiger - Gloss Pumpkin Orange
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 3:37 pm

» Ring Rat 100
by getback Yesterday at 9:52 am

» Anyone recognize this model airplane?
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 9:23 am

» Engines/parts for sale
by robot797 Yesterday at 5:03 am

» Cox aluminum piston?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 1:04 am

» Another proposed design by Roddie
by roddie Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:07 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
February-2019
balogh's

"Black Lynx .049 with a Throttle, Exhaust Deflector and Nelson-Galbreath head set"



PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery


World of Aviation

Air Hogs.. "Visionary"

Go down

Air Hogs.. "Visionary"

Post  roddie on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:06 pm

I've had this for a while. My dad gave it to me. He found it at a second-hand shop. I never really looked too closely at it.. but I'm on vacation this week.. and thought I'd unpack-it and take some pics. It's really kinda' cool.




check-out the displacement of its compressed-air engine..




I don't know how old it is. I'm guessing over ten years. I'll have to look at the instruction-sheet.. to see if I can find a printed-date.

The fuse is a PET air-tank capable of holding 80 psi to feed the engine. It comes with two sets of wings, two sets of tail-feathers, decals and an air-pump.

This could actually be a lot of fun.. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6271
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 59
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Air Hogs.. "Visionary"

Post  akjgardner on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:17 pm

found this on the web............Air Hogs was created in 1996 when Spin Master was approached by British inventors John Dixon and Peter Manning, whose prototype of a compressed air powered toy airplane had been rejected by everyone they had shown it to..............I had one of the early ones....It flew really well
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 812
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 59
Location : Milan Indiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Air Hogs.. "Visionary"

Post  roddie on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:29 pm

akjgardner wrote:found this on the web............Air Hogs was created in 1996 when Spin Master was approached by British inventors John Dixon and Peter Manning, whose prototype of a compressed air powered toy airplane had been rejected by everyone they had shown it to..............I had one of the early ones....It flew really well

Yes.. I seem to remember reading about this same info, back when my dad gave it to me. The RC community has used PET bottles/vessels to operate their "Spring-air" retractable gear for decades. I've read horror-stories of models being reduced to "splinters".. because of the over-inflation of homemade PET air-tanks.. and the resultant rupturing/explosion!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6271
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 59
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Air Hogs.. "Visionary"

Post  gcb on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:28 am

roddie wrote:
akjgardner wrote:found this on the web............Air Hogs was created in 1996 when Spin Master was approached by British inventors John Dixon and Peter Manning, whose prototype of a compressed air powered toy airplane had been rejected by everyone they had shown it to..............I had one of the early ones....It flew really well

Yes.. I seem to remember reading about this same info, back when my dad gave it to me. The RC community has used PET bottles/vessels to operate their "Spring-air" retractable gear for decades. I've read horror-stories of models being reduced to "splinters".. because of the over-inflation of homemade PET air-tanks.. and the resultant rupturing/explosion!!!  


I still have a couple of the early ones somewhere out in the garage. I think the instructions recommended a specific number of pump strokes (40?) and included a caution about over inflation. Of course we all probably snuck-in a few extra pump strokes. Smile

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 908
Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Port Ewen, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Air Hogs.. "Visionary"

Post  roddie on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:54 am

gcb wrote:

I still have a couple of the early ones somewhere out in the garage. I think the instructions recommended a specific number of pump strokes (40?) and included a caution about over inflation. Of course we all probably snuck-in a few extra pump strokes. Smile

George

Of course George.. just like the Crossman 760 Power-master air-rifle..  Laughing

This "Visionary" model is from 2003, commemorating "100 years of flight". The instructions don't warn about over-inflation.. (surprisingly..) but state; "Pump up the plane until you feel a lot of pressure and it becomes very difficult to pump. It will take 40 to 60 pumps to pressurize your plane. (Tip: For maximum performance, try 60 to 80 pumps.) When pumping, make sure you push the pump handle all the way down."

I'm sure the tank would rupture at some point beyond the maximum-recommended strokes of the pump.. but there's no mention of that anywhere in the instructions.

The engine starts by smartly "flicking" the propeller in the direction of the arrow on the nose-cone. The engine may "kick-back" and run in reverse if the prop is not flicked hard enough. Hmmm.. does this remind us of a certain type of Cox engine?

The specs. list this Air-Hogs model engine as .046 cu. in. which I find quite interesting.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6271
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 59
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Air Hogs.. "Visionary"

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum