Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

YES!!!!!!!! Cox_ba12

YES!!!!!!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» COX .020 POWERED SPEEDSTER
by 1/2A Nut Today at 8:50 am

» Cox NaBOO - Just in time for Halloween
by rsv1cox Today at 7:44 am

» Pt19 pilot and windshield
by howardhb Today at 7:24 am

» Cox Star Cruiser Instruction/Manuel/Information
by Levent Suberk Today at 6:40 am

» Cox 020 PeeWee rebuild questions
by roddie Yesterday at 5:50 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Admin Yesterday at 4:06 pm

» 049 Tee Dee needle valve bodies and 049 TD engines - Potential flaw
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Stealth SB-X
by getback Yesterday at 8:15 am

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:39 am

» Destructive deconstruction - The Chinese Russian Carrier gives in
by rsv1cox Sun Oct 20, 2024 8:04 pm

» Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines!
by roddie Sun Oct 20, 2024 5:44 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by 1/2A Nut Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:04 am

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2024
MauricioB's

"Cox .049 Circa 1975, custom."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

YES!!!!!!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

YES!!!!!!!!

Go down

YES!!!!!!!! Empty YES!!!!!!!!

Post  batjac Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:43 pm

I said in a thread a couple of years ago, I think, that I have a favorite tool to use when making slots for control surfaces.  It’s this Goldberg scribe tool that came in a kit, I think an Electra kit.

YES!!!!!!!! DSCN5914

I’ve had this for about 25 years, and it’s the best thing I’ve ever used for marking the slot positions.  Unfortunately, as you can see in the photo above, that after using it for so long the little plastic tip in the center has bent over and is a little off-center.  I can swipe the tool one way, then turn it over and swipe it the other way to mark the center, but it makes a rather wide scribe.  I’ve been looking for years for another, but couldn’t find one.

Well, today I went to the McMinnville, OR R/C swap meet and wandered around.  One guy had a baggie with a bunch of little things in it for $2.00 on the table.  Looking in the baggie I found this:

YES!!!!!!!! DSCN5917

YES!!!!!!!!

A little later at another table I bought a Box O’ Stuff for $5.00.  When I got home and looked in the box, I found this:

YES!!!!!!!! DSCN5919

Two!   TWO tools!!!   Ahh-Ahh-Ahhh (done in the voice of The Count from Sesame Street)

Here’s the Box O’ Stuff:

YES!!!!!!!! DSCN5923

And most of the stuff set out. It was a great score for only five bucks.  A brand new Ni-Cad starter, a couple of other slotting tools, some various saws and ball drivers, a nice Stanly razor plane, some really cool X-Acto saw blades I’ve never seen before, a couple hundred T-pins, various spinners and engine mounts.  But a couple I was really happy with were some Dremel drums and a full container of Dremel cutoff disks.

YES!!!!!!!! DSCN5925a

About 30 years ago I got this little sanding bar and use it all the time.  

YES!!!!!!!! DSCN5920a

Also in the $5.00 Box was this longer version that is two and a half times the length.  

YES!!!!!!!! DSCN5922

Another $5.00 purchase was these new props.  Master Airscrew 11x7, 10x6, and 9x6 props,  Zinger 11x7, 10x6(3), 9x6, and 9x5 props, a RevUp 9x6, and a Top Flight 9x6 prop.  Pretty good for five bucks.

YES!!!!!!!! DSCN5934

There was also a little frustration and irritation at one of the booths.  A couple of months ago I bought this Harry Higley trim tool for about $12.00.  It was a little expensive, but I’m tired of crooked trim lines.  I’m using it a lot since I got it.

YES!!!!!!!! DSCN5927

But then I wandered by the booth and saw this:

YES!!!!!!!! DSCN5935

** SIGH **

I didn’t get anything big.  No planes, no engines, no unfinished projects.  Just accessories.  But it was well worth the drive.  Especially the Goldberg slot scribes.

The Count Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

YES!!!!!!!! Empty Re: YES!!!!!!!!

Post  NEW222 Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:47 pm

Nice haul. Glad you got another two-ah-ah-ah-ah Goldberg hinge scribe tools. I also remember hearing about the 'Digger' hinge tool I see in the package as well. From what I remember, they were easy to use and yielded good results.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:22 am

Good Haul Mark , you got some damn good deals there better than what i saw at the one i got to late this year like you said accessories, and they can get expensive at the hobby store if you can find them ? I get alot of 1$ a pak hard to find screws all the props i seen were bad looking or too much $$ Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:53 am

Nice haul! Lots of goodies, looks to be brand new stuff. You’ll like that sanding bar in long form if you liked the short one. Those Goldberg centering markers are pure genius in their simple but accurate function. Tired w/ Coffee Read
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:56 am

Congratulations on the accessories-haul Mark! GREAT STUFF!!! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:32 am

Good buy for 5 dollars Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:43 am

SCORE !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:16 pm

I love "grab bag" stuff. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get.

Many, many years ago I sold a grab bag box full of WW2 war surplus British and Japanese military items on ebay to a person in..........Japan. I had it all boxed up, sealed, and addressed only to have the fellow renig never paying. I set the box aside forgetting about it. Recently I discovered it and had a good time going through all those items again.

Boxed it back up and sold it for a much greater amount again on ebay.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:37 pm

Hey there Mark. Just a little question for you. Thsi is just as I am frugal and sometimes like to reinvent the wheel and save things. With your original old hinge tool thing that is worn out, could you not possibly remove the center piece that is worn and carefully replace it with a piece of a razor blade? Such as making a shallow thin groove and insert a blade and CA it in place? It is Sunday, and I am relaxing looking for something to do while this snow melts....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:08 pm

NEW222 wrote:Hey there Mark. Just a little question for you. Thsi is just as I am frugal and sometimes like to reinvent the wheel and save things. With your original old hinge tool thing that is worn out, could you not possibly remove the center piece that is worn and carefully replace it with a piece of a razor blade? Such as making a shallow thin groove and insert a blade and CA it in place? It is Sunday, and I am relaxing looking for something to do while this snow melts....

I had thought a couple of times about cutting off the plastic nib and then inserting a pin in its place, but I knew I'd never get it exactly centered, and just a hair off would end up giving me the same end result as the bent over nib.  You wouldn't want a blade in the tool.  The purpose of the tool is to put it against the surface you want to hinge, and rotate the tool so that the two legs press against either side of the control surface, this puts the little nib in the exact center of the surface, and you slide the tool along the edge to mark that exact center.  I usually then take a fine lead pencil to highlight the scribe line to make it more visible when cutting the hinge slot.  The tool will work on any control surface or slab of wood from 1/16" up to 3/4" thickness, although 1/16 is hard to hinge properly that way.  I bought another, similar tool made by Great Planes, but it's terrible.  Makes a huge trough in the surface.  No good for wood under about 3/8".

The Off-Center Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Ok. Thanks for explaining. I did not know it was a point rather than a straight little edge. In this case, scrap my plan and ideas.... Sunday and my head is not working to full capacity..... Shocked
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:59 pm

Here's another pleasant item from the swap meet I got at a table.  I didn't have much hope for this $2.00 GloBee tach.  But last night I put in a battery and fired it up under my work desk flourescent light.  It held a steady 3600 RPM reading on two blade setting.  Yes!  A few minutes with a couple of paper towels and some 409 to get rid of the grime and it looks pretty as you see in the pics.

YES!!!!!!!! DSCN5947

YES!!!!!!!! DSCN5950

The Ever More Pleased Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:59 am

It held a steady 3600 RPM reading on two blade setting

Words of enlightenment. Thanks Mark. I have that same Tach. I have only used it a few times and only noticed the 3 blade icon, never the single blade as shown upper left in your picture. Thinking the 3 blade was just an indication that it was working, I took readings while (probably) using a 2 blade prop. and wondered why my reading were so far off.

When all else fails Bob, read the instructions!!!! Confession is good for the soul.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content