Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Cox_ba12

a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Yesterday at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Yesterday at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Empty
Live on Patrol

a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"...

Go down

a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Empty a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"...

Post  roddie Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:55 pm

A few years ago.. (maybe 3-4) I bought a "Furby".. which is an electronic toy robot. See the WIKI web-link below for info..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furby

I bought it at my local Walmart. It was one of those "impulse-purchases".. by a fella who has a never-ending love for toys. This Furby was "black" (like our kitties..) but I actually considered it more; a toy for "them".. than for Lynne and I.

a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Black_12

We all had some fun with our Furby, on and off over the first few months.. but then it just sat atop the kitchen-countertop without being played-with (moved).

Yesterday.. I picked-up Furby to inspect it's condition. The bottom plastic-plate (where the batteries are installed..) was soiled. Further inspection revealed leakage of the original alkaline batteries that had been installed.

There is no on/off switch featured in this Furby's design. If there's no "interaction" after a minute or so.. it announces that it's sleepy.. and shuts-off.

Furby uses x4 AA batteries.. and I'd thought more than once about installing "lithium" cells.. but never did.

The "battery-box" was a mess of corrosion.. but the contacts were of a higher-quality metal.. and cleaned up pretty well. The battery-box however, has moving parts (cams and springs) which allow the Furby to rock or dance. The battery-acid had seeped into these areas and needed to be cleaned if Furby was ever going to work again.  Crying or Very sad

a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Dsc05424
 a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Dsc05425
 a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Dsc05426
 a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Dsc05427

The photo below shows one of the two "feet". These alternate in and out when Furby dances or gets excited.

a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Dsc05428

I used small binder-clips to hold the feet (under spring-tension) until I could re-install the cover and 4 screws.

a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Dsc05429
 a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Dsc05430
 a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Dsc05431

I'm happy to say that Furby came back to life and worked perfectly after I installed new batteries. I don't know how to prevent the same thing from happening again though. We hadn't played with the toy for quite some time.. so I don't know how long the batteries are supposed to last. Apparently there's a slight current-draw even when the toy is in sleep-mode. The instructions probably recommend removing the batteries if the toy will not be used for long periods of time.

I'm glad that it didn't get ruined. It's not a cheap toy.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Empty Re: a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"...

Post  pkrankow Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Nimh recharbeable batteries are the only ones I have found to not leak.

The more expesive "Low Self Discharge" seem to work better in lasting longer, the less expensive type tend to hold more charge for high draw devices that dont need to be stored with a charge.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:18 pm

First, good job on the rescue. Now as for batteries..... I like the ones with 10 year ratings, give or take. I too find higher quality batteries to be better and hold out better than teh cheap ones. This is even though I have had 2 bad experiences with Duracell. Anyways, I had something similar happen to me with a GPS and battery leak over only 1 season. I had to remake springs and contacts for that one. Ever since the last episode, however, I got in the strict habit of removing batteries from things if they are not going to be used in teh near future.

As for your Furby.... I actually envisioned a Furby with .049 powered hat...... Helicopter style. Shocked
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

a Furby gets "re-FURB-ished"... Empty RE: Furby gets "re-Furbished"

Post  66 Malibu Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:57 pm

My 2 cents worth FWIW.....
After almost 30 years at the manufacturers level and about 4 years at the local industrial sales level, ALL BATTERIES ARE SELF DISCHARGING...by their very nature.
It doesn't matter, if the battery is a Primary (non-rechargeable) type, or a Secondary (rechargeable) type ,or what chemical system/ technology it may be, it has a finite service and/or shelf life.
The reason is...by definition , a battery is a device that converts chemical reaction differences into usable electrical energy.
Once the various components and chemical properties are assembled into a working battery, the chemistry never stops working even in the rest or on the shelf mode.
Just because it taken out of a device it powers the chemistry doesn't know that.
Over the years, I have heard every claim and argument why a certain brand or chemical system is superior and will last longest...
It becomes the proverbial "How high is up?" debate.
The longest shelf life product I, myself, personally have witnessed are some Energizer 9 volt lithium batteries made with 6 Quad A (AAAA) cells that I have in factory sealed mylar that are 21 years old !!!!
They have some power left but not much .....
My personal Rule of Thumb is that "after two years the battery has lost 5% of it's initial energy and it will lose 5% a year after that".
The advice of "Removing the batteries if the device will not be used for more than two weeks to save device damage" is great advice.
Of course, devices like clocks are always in use so I change the batteries in clocks and CO2/Smoke alarms at every Daylight Saving time change for piece of mind.
As a side note, I have seen items sent into the battery warranty depot for repair or replacement and a large book can be written on some of the crazy things that come in...Use your imagination ...
Again FWIW.....Steve...
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum