Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Looks like I'm now unemployed!! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Looks like I'm now unemployed!! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Today at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Today at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Today at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Today at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Today at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Today at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Looks like I'm now unemployed!! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Looks like I'm now unemployed!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Looks like I'm now unemployed!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Looks like I'm now unemployed!!

Post  roddie Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:38 pm

No need to apologize to me either Rod. I was anticipating this (your) post today since I first read of your dilemma. I couldn't offer any words then.. but now; it looks to me like you're going to be able to keep running your business until you decide when to stop working. I'd bet that if you willfully (and promptly) comply with just a portion of their demands.. they might not ask for the rest. Another thing; Who your customers are, is none of their business. If you're an official DMV Inspection Station; they can get that information from the DMV. Writing them an account of "what you've been doing there, for the past 15 years".. could help your case. You don't need to write much.. but a/your lawyer should be privy, prior to its submission to that committee.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Looks like I'm now unemployed!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Looks like I'm now unemployed!!

Post  Mark Diedrichs Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:59 pm

Mr. Roddie ,I feel your dilemma Very Happy  Hope everything works out for you. Hopefully the Small Cox Logo  stuff and friends helps out with the depression lol! The magic Bus is leaving the station and we are all onboard with you... We feel Ya Bro! Don,t let it get you down!!!MarkLooks like I'm now unemployed!! - Page 2 20180215
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:12 pm

Well guys, it's Merry Christmas to me Thumbs Up
Just a few days before Christmas and I get an email from our local government office containing my "Certificate of Compliance". It's very vague, but states that on December 18th 2019 my business was deemed to comply with requirements. Only says on that date which worries me a little. Does that mean that at a future date they can change their minds?

There were no conditions placed on the permit, so I questioned them. Basically I must self-regulate to ensure I only carry out work in the same way as previously. It's a huge relief, but I can't help still being a little dubious.

To add some detail to the mystery, I had a visit from another local mechanic who also works from home. Seems he has just been approached by the council as well, told to shut down. He tells me another mechanic in the town has also been told the same. Sounds like more than a coincidence. My theory is that there's a business in the town who's in the pocket of council and is using some unethical methods to try and cut out the competition. Anyway, I'm off the hook, so I guess that sets a precedent for the next guy.

Thanks for your support and good wishes.
Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Merry Christmas Rodney. Christmas Tree It seems that you continue to have every right to earn a living..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sunbird Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:03 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS Rod.

Great news on your permit to continue working from your existing premises. It must be a relief.

Wishing you a safe and successful New Year from FNQ!
Sunbird
Sunbird
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:37 pm

Merry Christmas Rod. That is good news for you. I would also have to agree that there is a certain individual that has been behind this all, as others have also been all affected in teh same way that you were. But overall, glad for you!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:41 pm

Sunbird wrote:MERRY CHRISTMAS Rod.

Great news on your permit to continue working from your existing premises.  It must be a relief.

Wishing you a safe and successful New Year from FNQ!

Thanks roddie & Mike.  It's certainly a relief to know they (hopefully) won't be on my back any more.

Mike, we just delivered our youngest son to the airport this morning for his flight back to Queensland.  He just had a quick visit home for Christmas- We may not see him all that often now because a certain young lady may keep his interests in the north.  He's working in Coolum and most likely will go back to working in the showfields during winter, along with his beloved.

Can't stop 'em growing up!!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:43 pm

NEW222 wrote:Merry Christmas Rod. That is good news for you. I would also have to agree that there is a certain individual that has been behind this all, as others have also been all affected in teh same way that you were. But overall, glad for you!

Thanks Chancey.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:11 am

Two old sayings come to mind Rod.

"It's the squeaky wheel that get's the grease."

and

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

You did the squeaking with a positive outcome

and

accept their decision at face value and don't look back.

Happy for ya

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:42 am

Glad you got what you wanted Rod Now get out there and go to work lol! Christmas Tree I have thousands of dollars worth of tools and turned wrenches for over 30 yrs. , with my arthritis i could not care if i worked on anything else . Snowman
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:15 am

rsv1cox wrote:
Two old sayings come to mind Rod.
"It's the squeaky wheel that get's the grease."
And
"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

You did the squeaking with a positive outcome
and
accept their decision at face value and don't look back.

Happy for ya
Bob

Duplicating Bob’s feelings , except, keep and eye over your shoulder and stay in contact with the others who were put in this “position” for group support in the future to push back on the political bully.  Devil

My The city Where I used to live, started out small, just wanting to have rental apartments “registered” so they can contact the Owner if there was a emergency?  Slowly the rules changed to register yearly and pay a small fee, to registering and having city inspectors inspect (add: inspection fees)  each unit, and given 45, 60 or 90days to make required repairs/upgrades to newly imposed housing codes, or be faced with fines, of course there’s a charge to issue “repair orders” and re-inspections. Then any repairs required needed to be done by City Licensed Contractors, who have to obtain city issued “Work Permits” as approved professionals in the  Construction Trades Electrical, Plumber, Heating /Furnace inspection/replacements. I was no longer allowed to do any thing to building/structure as I was NOT living there, not “Owner Occupied “ or Home owner, I was just the registered “Building Owner” and taxpayer of record on the property.

started out small.....

I no longer own anything inside the city limits.
 The township where I relocated to only charges 1/2 of 1% of my taxes as a collection fee on my property tax, they proudly announce, they are not charging the full 1% as allowed by law, as the City does.
So, now they are charging a “fee” to collect the “taxes” we have to pay and they have to collect!
Sort of like charging the Milkman a fee to milk the cows so, he can have milk to sell ?

ANYWay. YOU GOT YOUR “COA” . Certificate of Approval.....Whoopie!!
MERRY Christmas and Happy New Years!!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:34 am

Yeah, Michigan has a Gestapo property tax, inspections and permitting regime.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:44 pm

That's a great Christmas present Rod! Lighting The Tree

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:13 pm

That's great news Rod.  It sounded like a neighbor that hates to see anyone having fun and making a living at the same time, or maybe a real estate agent concerned about a nearby property value to me at first.  We've got plenty of both around here.  Either one would rat out their mom in a heartbeat.  Now it sounds like you said, a mechanic who knows someone on the council.  

I'm really glad it worked out for you.  Do keep a sharp eye on your six o'clock though.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:45 pm

Rod, I know this makes for a Merrier Christmas and a Happier New Year for you. When you first told us about it, even from halfway around the world, it made me irritated at how a self-important local government can violate a good working-man's human right to make a living for himself and his family. Maybe someone charged with reviewing your case was actually Not a self important bully, and recognized that a wrongful over stepping of authority was happening.

Thanks for keeping us posted. That makes my own Christmas and New Year are a little more merry and happy than they already are.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:54 pm

Thanks everyone.  It certainly will be a happier new year than it might have been.  It's great to see the level of support I have got from a bunch of people I've never met Smile You guys are a great encouragement.
I Love This Forum!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:58 am

I take that to mean as of 18 Dec you are in compliance. Probably the same date the letter was written.

Glad to hear you are back in the game. Now you can find me the aluminum Ford Aussie 200 six crossflow head... Wink just kidding. Merry Christmas Rod!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:50 pm

I'm happy for you that this worked out for you, after all the problems! I have been watching this post for a while, because a similar situation happened to me and my business at a local airport. The idiot airport manager had it in for me, after I caught him giving a 'show and tell" on a Beech Baron, in my hangar- after hours! He was banging the ailerons from stop to stop, and opening hatches and cabin doors, also! The last straw was when he removed a fuel cap, and broke the chain that connected it to the opening! I yelled at them to leave! He took offense, and raised my building/ hangar rent; went to the city council to say that I didn't have insurance, and other things until I couldn't afford to operate there. If I could have paid an attorney, I might have prevailed, but the atmosphere was ruined. I moved on, then retired. I'm actually glad I did.

I'm glad your situation is better, and you're able to continue doing what you want to do!
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:26 pm

GUS THE I.A. wrote:I'm happy for you that this worked out for you...........
If I could have paid an attorney, I might have prevailed,
I'm glad your situation is better, and you're able to continue doing what you want to do!

Actually, on council's suggestion, I did engage a lawyer. Cost me nearly $1k for nothing. Lawyer wrote letter, they ignored them. He presented signed statutory documents, they refused to acknowledge them. Their attitude was "That's just his opinion". If I wanted to I could have kept pursuing them for compensation, but I just wanted to get it over with so I conceded to their demand that I apply (and pay) for a permit that exempts me from the planning regulations. I was actually already exempt due to my "existing use rights", which they refused to acknowledge. Lawyer said the whole thing was a load of rubbish, but anyway, apart from lost income and stress, it only ended up costing me a little over $1,200. Not good, but could have been much worse.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:39 pm

Why not celebrate..  Eyebrows  by having your band play there on NYE? Are any of the members local?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=_vQjGwWRbRA&feature=emb_logo

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum