Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

.051 starting issues Cox_ba12

.051 starting issues Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

.051 starting issues Empty
Live on Patrol

.051 starting issues

Go down

.051 starting issues Empty .051 starting issues

Post  Wiztom Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:00 pm

Hello,

Having some issues with a Cox .051.
Engine has good compression and flips over like it should. Using SIG 35% fuel. Has new Glow plug that I can hear sizzling. I can see fuel in the line to the carb. Has a KK needle valve.
Prime small amount of fuel. Flip a couple of time. Hook up my dual 1.5V batteries in parallel. The engine will fire and run up with the prime and then stop. Continued flipping yields short starts and stops and eventually nothing. I have repeated at settings from 2 turns out to 4 turns out. No real difference.
If anyone can point me to where I need to look I would appreciate it. It would seem to be a fuel problem but again plenty of fuel to draw from in the inlet line.
I have other .51 that do not have this problem.

Thanks

Follow up:

Thank you for all of the very good suggestions. I have disassembled the needle valve and venturi, and I now think I understand the problem. I did not realize that there is no spray bar per se. The venturi pin hole has to be lined up perfectly with the pin hole in the needle valve assembly. I believe it was off center. I am not sure how to ever get the two perfectly aligned but I marked the venturi and the need valve assembly. I assume that you just have to slightly move it one way or the other to get optimum fuel flow? Not even sure that matters since its either right on or its not.
Will test tomorrow and see if this is the fix.

Regards

Last edited by Wiztom on Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Follow Up)
Wiztom
Wiztom
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

.051 starting issues Empty Re: .051 starting issues

Post  balogh Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:17 pm

The venturi has 3 tiny radial holes to atomize the fuel flow when entering the venturi. You may want to blow these holes free from dense castor. The single hole on the needle valve body may also be clogged. And lastly there may be unwanted air seep along the needle valve threads into the carb that you may eliminate by pulling a silicon tube on the threaded nipple so that the other end acts like a seal lip on the beedle valve thread.
If all these do not help then check if the radial play of the crankshaft is too excessive in which case you need a new crankcase.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:45 pm

Wiztom wrote:Hello,

Having some issues with a Cox .051.
Engine has good compression and flips over like it should. Using SIG 35% fuel. Has new Glow plug that I can hear sizzling. I can see fuel in the line to the carb. Has a KK needle valve.
Prime small amount of fuel. Flip a couple of time. Hook up my dual 1.5V batteries in parallel. The engine will fire and run up with the prime and then stop. Continued flipping yields short starts and stops and eventually nothing. I have repeated at settings from 2 turns out to 4 turns out. No real difference.
If anyone can point me to where I need to look I would appreciate it. It would seem to be a fuel problem but again plenty of fuel to draw from in the inlet line.
I have other .51 that do not have this problem.

Thanks

If yo have a KK needle valve the black part that is on the needle valve (threaded area) It will crack because of age.
If it is cracked air will bleed in there.
You can get a replacement for that from Cox International.
They are the same seals that are used on the Sure Start engine needle valve assembly.

I think this is the link. Also, it is good to have extras when the do get old and crack.
https://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-.074-spray-bar-seal-10.html

I had the same problem with my KK needle valves last year, The crack is there but you really can't see it with the naked eye.
I like the KK needle valves ( too bad they are no longer made).
sosam117
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:06 am

Being fine thread, I would think the KK needle valve would need to be screwed out further than 4 turns for starting.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:25 am

Might the holes into the Venturi have some dirt in it? Maybe take out the Venturi and make sure all holes clean. Poke a needle through them. Sometimes that might stop the run?

Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:07 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Being fine thread, I would think the KK needle valve would need to be screwed out further than 4 turns for starting.

On my Tee Dee .049 with the KK needle valve assembly, 4 turns is where I would start.
One thing I try to see if having a problem with fuel draw is to cover the venturi, turn the engine over (by hand) and see in the vinyl fuel line "if" I can see fuel being pulled into the engine. You can't see that in the surgical tubing fuel line.

I do use surgical tubing for my planes when I fly them.
I use the clear vinyl fuel line to check out problems with fuel draw on the test stand.

sosam117
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Iceberg Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:33 am

If the Venturi homes are clean and still no vaccum is the Venturi housing cracked or Venturi not tight and sealing?
Ice
Iceberg
Iceberg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:01 pm

If the engine can run in the opposite direction then you have a left hand crankshaft. You can remove the back plate and observe the orientation of the crank pin with the intake port facing up. If the crankpin is on the right side it's a left hand crank. left hand cranks are not common but is used for control line flying as it tends to torque the plane towards the outside of the flying circle. I like to run my reedies left handed using the proper propeller for this same reason.
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  happydad Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:03 am

coxaddict wrote:If the engine can run in the opposite direction then you have a left hand crankshaft.  You can remove the back plate and observe the orientation of the crank pin with the intake port facing up.  If the crankpin is on the right side it's a left hand crank. left hand cranks are not common but is used for control line flying as it tends to torque the plane towards the outside of the flying circle. I like to run my reedies  left handed using the proper propeller for this same reason.  

I have extra used tee dee crankshafts. PM me. Need to know if there is a 2 on one of the crankcase mount arms. They should go in pairs. Tiny length. Search tee dee medallion crankshaft data.

Happydad RC Plane Very Happy
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:47 am

Wiztom wrote:
The venturi pin hole has to be lined up perfectly with the pin hole in the needle valve assembly. I believe it was off center. I am not sure how to ever get the two perfectly aligned but I marked the venturi and the need valve assembly.

They don't need to be aligned, there should be enough room for the fuel to flow around to all four pin holes.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiztom Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:24 am

So there is clearance around the venturi that allows fuel flow. Very interesting. After cleaning the venturi and needle valve assembly and using compressed air, there was no difference in the problem. I ended up putting two different stock carb assemblies off of other .51's that I have. The second one made no difference. The third one, which is an older model ran it for several minutes. I could get it to lean out but I could not get a drop in rpm on the rich side. Still not sure what is going on.

Thanks for the knowledge.
Wiztom
Wiztom
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

.051 starting issues Empty Remember the .051 is the cylinder only

Post  happydad Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:11 am

Wiztom wrote:So there is clearance around the venturi that allows fuel flow. Very interesting. After cleaning the venturi and needle valve assembly and using compressed air, there was no difference in the problem. I ended up putting two different stock carb assemblies off of other .51's that I have. The second one made no difference. The third one, which is an older model ran it for several minutes. I could get it to lean out but I could not get a drop in rpm on the rich side. Still not sure what is going on.

Thanks for the knowledge.

And don’t forget all other parts except the piston and cylinder are the same as the .049. It may just be an issue with the “carb assembly”.

Happydad RC Plane Very Happy Blow up Mad!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiztom Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:47 pm

I have ordered three new plastic carb bodies. I plan to change them out on three of my .051's. I understand that they deteriorate after a while and may leak air.
I have an refurbished anodized one I bought that I am going to try and break in. If it runs ok, I can compare the parts to see if there is anything I am visually missing.
I think its a K&K needle valve as well, or at least a knockoff.

Thanks
Wiztom
Wiztom
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:40 pm

Sounds like an air leakage to me. If the replacement carbs did not make difference, I would check:

1 if the plastic carb body is cracked somewhere
2. If the collet nut is spanned sufficiently and the carb body sits and seals tight
3. If there is excessive radial play of the crankshaft indicating a worn crankcase that cannot seal along the shaft.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:34 pm

I have purchased used Tee Dee engines that had the venturi bore enlarged. These require bladder system to run as the engine will not draw fuel on its own. I use the shank end of a drill bit to check the size of bore.
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down