Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My 1/2 A’s Cox_ba12

My 1/2 A’s Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Yesterday at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Yesterday at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My 1/2 A’s Empty
Live on Patrol

My 1/2 A’s

Go down

My 1/2 A’s Empty My 1/2 A’s

Post  rdw777 Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:04 pm

My 1/2 A’s C7f56b10

Hi guys,

Got my box of engines out and further assessed them... First time I’ve messed with them in over 20 years.... Fortunately most turned over fairly easy.... A few needed a little teasing with acetone in the ports and front bearing.... A couple were pretty stuck... I hung them from a thread in front of my electric shop heater and gently convinced them to turn over.... Then pickled them for the time being with air tool oil...

I have a good bit of spare parts too.... I look forward to taking them apart, cleaning, rebuild, and running..., At least I know now there not eternally stuck Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My 1/2 A’s Empty Re: My 1/2 A’s

Post  davidll1984 Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:14 pm

Do you already have an idea of what you will build for a .049 engine ? RC Plane Babe Bee .049 Biplane Futaba Radio Jeep So Much possibility
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:22 pm

Hi David, I’ve enjoyed looking and your cars and videos of them running.... Very innovative!! I had the Cox dune buggy and tether Corvette a long time ago....

I’ve used 1/2A’s in FF, CL, and RC over the years.... The best opportunity these days will
be a simple RC plane I can try some of the different engines on.... I’ve been reading the forum a lot on how to get the best from the engines..... Will be fun to experiment....

Robert

rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:40 pm

Is your OK Cub a .039 or a .049X? Either way, a rare example which looks like it's been treated well. I'm envious. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:25 pm

Hello Ken,

Yes, The Cub on the top right corner is .039.... I have never ran it, Maybe this time around with a gentle bench test....

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:09 am

That in my opinion would be the absolute perfect candidate for a Dakota free flight. I have seen many OK Cubs used for control line. I quickly formed some very bad opinions on them. However, when I started using them for freeflight, they became some of my favorite little engines. Just prior to Ted Brebeck retiring from OK engines last year, we had some great conversations in regards to them. I sadly didn't take advantage of the parts he had to offer to me. I seriously regret that now as I'm in need of some. I lost a plane with a OK .049 Cub that was given to me by a now deceased club member. I think that's what bothered me the most about losing the plane.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:23 am

Nice looking engines , i tried to get the .039 Cub from Ted and he didn't have any to sell , did he not sell his inventory of to be sold by another vendor?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:32 am

My understanding was the following week it was in a dumpster.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:53 pm

Agree the .039 would be perfect for the Dakota.... Very nostalgic... I don’t have a lot of room for FF anymore but maybe in the future.... There’s an ATV park on a dry lake bed about 20 mins from home.... I’ll retire in about a year so maybe buy a membership and go out and fly during the week when no one is there...

I have a lot of memories of older club members giving things to help others as a friendly gesture...,Most of our foundational members have passed away so hasn’t been active in about 10 yrs.... When I first started with the club a couple of gurus were flying pattern and the rest were training on Sr Falcons....Good memories
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:40 am

I can relate to fellow members who have passed on. Every year, the attendance is down and we recently had a sister club lose their field which was active for 60 years. I fly specifically control line and I'm fortunate to have a few clubs near me to go to. Were pretty close knit and when you lose a pivotal member, we all miss it. I truly enjoyed all the flea markets and swaps we used to have. Unfortunately, greed dominated a few when they received a large portion of a deceased members belongings and the items went to EBAY for self benefit. This sent a tidal wave of tension through our club and the trust and bonding we had dissipated rather quickly.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:29 am

Ken Cook wrote:   My understanding was the following week it was in a dumpster.
DAMMIT! Sad That's a Shame .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:40 am

Eric, I can't confirm that, it's what I heard. Similar things happened with the Fox stock. Mecoa didn't purchase all that was available at the time they decided to close shop. Much was cherry picked and the rest to the dumpster. In reality, who wants the stuff ? We as modelers provide a extremely small niche to fill when it comes to buying products.  We place a lot of emphasis on these things having value when in reality, your going to pass away and this crap goes into the trash. Ted's father closed the OK engine line down in the early 60's and this stuff has been sitting around for 50+ years. It's even amazing it never hit the landfills or was recycled back then.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:57 am

I remember a time when Duke was still around that he placed an ad in a magazine asking for someone to take over the engine business. I sort of thought about it, but it was a different country and it was much easier to just go to work and machine easier parts for a known wage. Ya, I miss the swap meets. Never resold stuff, although I suppose I will at some point. The boss says she wants me to get rid of a dozen or three planes.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:23 am

I have that magazine ad somewhere here. I do remember it and I should've set it aside. Now your going to have my curious mind at work to locate it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Ken Cook wrote:             I can relate to fellow members who have passed on. Every year, the attendance is down and we recently had a sister club lose their field which was active for 60 years. I fly specifically control line and I'm fortunate to have a few clubs near me to go to. Were pretty close knit and when you lose a pivotal member, we all miss it. I truly enjoyed all the flea markets and swaps we used to have. Unfortunately, greed dominated a few when they received a large portion of a deceased members belongings and the items went to EBAY for self benefit. This sent a tidal wave of  tension through our club and the trust and bonding we had dissipated rather quickly.

Sad story. It is really. We're not all cut from the same cloth.. even though it may seem that way. My hobby-stuff I hold dear to my heart.. but it doesn't look like anyone around me is going to want it when I'm gone. I'm a lone wolf in that respect. There are no clubs or interest local to me.. which is why I feel really fortunate to have found this forum. I joined a few Facebook groups/pages.. but I've noticed that they're not moderated very well.. if at all. We don't have troubles like that here on CEF.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:15 am

roddie wrote:
Ken Cook wrote:             I can relate to fellow members who have passed on. Every year, the attendance is down and we recently had a sister club lose their field which was active for 60 years. I fly specifically control line and I'm fortunate to have a few clubs near me to go to. Were pretty close knit and when you lose a pivotal member, we all miss it. I truly enjoyed all the flea markets and swaps we used to have. Unfortunately, greed dominated a few when they received a large portion of a deceased members belongings and the items went to EBAY for self benefit. This sent a tidal wave of  tension through our club and the trust and bonding we had dissipated rather quickly.

Sad story. It is really. We're not all cut from the same cloth.. even though it may seem that way. My hobby-stuff I hold dear to my heart.. but it doesn't look like anyone around me is going to want it when I'm gone. I'm a lone wolf in that respect. There are no clubs or interest local to me.. which is why I feel really fortunate to have found this forum. I joined a few Facebook groups/pages.. but I've noticed that they're not moderated very well.. if at all. We don't have troubles like that here on CEF.

I'm in the same boat.
No family members really want my engines, kits, and everything that I have acquired from this hobby.
A fellow friend (club member) passed away ( two years ago) and the wife and kids are still selling his stuff off.

I have been selling some of it off so that the family won't have the problem of figuring out what it is and what all that "stuff" is worth.

Like Happydad's daughter is currently working through.

Tried to get my only son interested but he's not interested. And I'm in my mid 60's.
Wife likes it because she is seeing the savings account grow.
Though I hate to see some kits I wanted to build get sold along with the engines.
I know I'll have to let some of this go, just because time is slipping by and I know I won't get all of this built and flown?

sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:56 am

There are some young people interested, of course, but not many and Do not have the knowledge To use them correctly When he comes across an old model For my part I have the intention to stil use them in 10 years with the young with my son Trying to teach them how to use them Most of the kids in my neighborhood have a lot of fun Looking at my old nitro models ask me a lot of questions Is I see that they too would like to have one My answer is disappointing to them price hard To Find very rare stuf I believe that even after 100 years my jerobee models will still be functional m'y McLaren mk8 b is alredy over 43 years old and like new for this old rc cars y want m'y son To use it wit the next génération
I believe that if it is impossible to use nitro will always remain alcol the gas or diesels That I will leave the secrets of use for them tink litle rc plane wil be grounded for Good by that time
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:58 pm

Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts on this humble thread....

I am fortunate that my son wants my engines when it is time to pass them on.... We had a lot of good times flying them when he was a kid... He’s in his mid 30’s now.... He reminded me about the Ace Grasshopper we used used to fly with one of the Babe Bees..... After a while we bolted the Norvel in the bottom of the photo on it... It became a different animal for sure.... Anyway, Glad he wants them...

David, Good for you involving your young son with your cars and engines! When my son was little we had an electric buggy.... I would set him on my lap and let him steer but not run the throttle.... Was fun

A good time to say thank you to those that have posted throughout the forum on tips and tricks .... Still reading through it .... Lots of good experience passed on there.... Will certainly use that as I rehab my engines.... Prolly will still ask a bunch of questions...

Oh by the way , I ordered some Rocket 24 from Fitz Fuels.... Should be be able to wake one up soon Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down