Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument Cox_ba12

The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Yesterday at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Yesterday at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Yesterday at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument Empty
Live on Patrol

The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument

Go down

The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument Empty The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument

Post  roddie Tue May 25, 2021 7:24 pm

A Musician friend of mine "built one".. a few years ago. Below is an image of the identified-parts of the Nyckelharpa and below that; an image of the one my friend built. After it was finished, he offered me some leftover Sitka Spruce.. which I accepted. Beautiful clear/straight-grain wood.. just like they used to use in the Golden-Age of aircraft construction.

A person who builds guitars is known as a "Luthier". I can't say/don't know what you'd name a person who builds these instruments.

The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument Hurdyp10

My friend built the instrument (image) below.

The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument Nyckel10

Below; a youtube link to a Mr. Thomas Roth, playing the instrument.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument Empty Re: The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument

Post  706jim Tue May 25, 2021 9:55 pm

An interesting combination of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument Empty Re: The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument

Post  Surfer_kris Wed May 26, 2021 1:20 am

I have not heard of any special name for those who build them around here, perhaps it is simply included under "Luthiers".

It used to be quite popular to build them, with books and courses held in the 70- 80-ties. But these days I think it is only the older the generations that are interested and the knowledge is in risk of getting lost.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed May 26, 2021 1:25 am

The first picture above is not actually a "nyckelharpa" as it uses a rotating wheel. The nyckelharpa is played with a bow, like the one your friend has build.

The video above is not very representative of how the instrument is used regularly, this is more the traditional music played on midsummer's eve:

Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat May 29, 2021 1:13 pm

706jim wrote:An interesting combination of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen.

Interesting take on it.. Jim. Thumbs Up Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat May 29, 2021 1:24 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:I have not heard of any special name for those who build them around here, perhaps it is simply included under "Luthiers".

It used to be quite popular to build them, with books and courses held in the 70- 80-ties. But these days I think it is only the older the generations that are interested and the knowledge is in risk of getting lost.

Thanks much for the acknowledgement Krister. Can't get much more accurate an account; than would come from you there in Sweden. I Love This Forum!

As far as interest and knowledge is concerned; we have hopefully added some intel to any future web-queries through keyword-searches.. as long as the CEF sustains.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat May 29, 2021 7:04 pm

That instrument, in English speaking countries at least, is commonly called a Hurdy-Gurdy.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun May 30, 2021 7:18 am

Oldenginerod wrote:That instrument, in English speaking countries at least, is commonly called a Hurdy-Gurdy.

Named by this immigrant no doubt lol!

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun May 30, 2021 10:14 am

For some reason roddie it reminds me of the Balalaika featured in the movie Dr. Zhivago and Laras's theme.  Haunting with the ice covered branches tapping on the window early in the movie.  

Can you play the balalaika? Engineer: Can she play? She's an artist! Gen. Yevgraf Zhivago: Ah, then it's a gift…

The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument Balala10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon May 31, 2021 9:02 am

The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument Hg210

The "Nyckelharpa" a Scandinavian stringed/bowed/keyed MusicalIinstrument Hg2210
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon May 31, 2021 9:40 am

CB - I had no idea.

Us gun lovers do have a soft side......

Greenie for you
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon May 31, 2021 10:06 am

I plagiarized it, should have put the authors name. lol!

crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum