Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Nelson turbo plugs...hot, or cold? Cox_ba12

Nelson turbo plugs...hot, or cold? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Today at 11:03 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 10:41 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Nelson turbo plugs...hot, or cold? Empty
Live on Patrol

Nelson turbo plugs...hot, or cold?

Go down

Nelson turbo plugs...hot, or cold? Empty Nelson turbo plugs...hot, or cold?

Post  balogh Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:27 am

Before the more versatile Kamtechnik turbo heads - usable with a wide range of commercially available turbo plugs of standard thread dimensions, sold by hobby shops around the world  -  were available, I had bought a couple of Nelson turbo plugs I guess from kittingittogether.com, and some came with small, others with larger diameter glow filament cavity, and I do not exactly recall which is hot and which is cold ..there is no differentiation lettering punched onto the hex head of the plugs......commonsense would say larger cavity diameter allows more substantial fuel-to-filament contact and hence corresponds to the hot version, that will better prevent flame-out when the engine idles and burns too rich fuel/air mixture.....

Anyone could shed some light on it?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Nelson turbo plugs...hot, or cold? Empty Re: Nelson turbo plugs...hot, or cold?

Post  Ken Cook Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:51 pm

The hot plug has no marks on the corners of the hex, the Nelson HD plug which is the standard for most applications has the corners marked by dings on the hex. If you obtained earlier versions, the post tops were slightly different but the hole in the base is larger on the hot plug if you have the other to compare it to. You can e-mail Larry Driskill for confirmation at Kittingittogether. MBS model supply can also be of help or Bobby Mears of Lubbock Texas. he's the seller currently on Ebay for the Nelson plugs.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:08 pm

Thanks a lot Ken. This will help me identify the few Nelson heads I have.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:38 pm

Could we please stop conflating two different items-there are Nelson plugs-and there are turbo plugs...full stop! They're not the same thing, they are not interchangeable-the only things they have in common is a taper seal, and being physically larger than a standard 1/4-32 glowplug. Nelson plugs predate 'turbo' plugs by a considerable  time margin-a decade or more-and were developed for aero use, 'turbo' plugs were developed for the RC car buggy and truck engine market and subsequently expanded into aero use. Nelson plugs come in only 4 types-standard, heavy duty and hot-plus the globee insert types, turbo plugs come in an almost bewildering range of heats-7 or 8 heat ranges from some manufacturers.

Conflating the two types as 'Nelson turbo plugs' only serves to muddy the waters-particular for people with less experience

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

Last edited by ffkiwi on Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:08 am

Sorry if my post was disturbing..It is only semantics though...if all Nelson plugs are turbo type - in a sense that they help increase engine power with their tapered seal, not allowing compression impairment between the plug and head threads -  then calling them turbo plugs like the later turbo plugs should not be misleading, let alone, muddying. I for one did not know they all are turbo, thought they also come as "straight" plugs  with no tapered tip, but did not check..

Thank you for the clarification Chris...we all learn here from each other.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:20 am

balogh wrote:Sorry if my post was disturbing..It is only semantics though...if all Nelson plugs are turbo type - in a sense that they help increase engine power with their tapered seal, not allowing compression impairment between the plug and head threads -  then calling them turbo plugs like the later turbo plugs should not be misleading. I for one did not know they all are turbo, thought they also come as "straight" plugs  with no tapered tip, but did not check..

semantics ARE important-as any lawyer will tell you. No, Nelson plugs have always been of their current form-and its only relatively recently that the 'hot' grade one was added to the range-early on there was only the standard and heavy duty models...and you're doing it again-calling them 'turbo'-the very point I made earlier that you shouldn't conflate the two distinct type-they're not 'turbo Nelsons-they're just 'Nelson'....otherwise down the track you'll get some twerp trying to screw a Nelson plug into a turbo plug head-or vice versa..because they think they're the same thing! And with a different thread, and different cone angle...how do you think that's going to work out...?

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:25 am

Sorry Chris please, my language is not native English, so allow me to be less sensitive to English linguistic differrences...I do not think that me erroneously calling Nelsons "turbo plugs" will drive any user to try forcing them into normal, smaller plug holes..they have distinctly and visibly different diameters.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:31 am

OK-I think I've made my point adequately now....and it would be a case of people trying to force wrong threaded plugs into similar sized holes...11/32"-32 thread Nelson vs M8x0.75 thread turbo-
we're not talking 1/4"-32 plugs here....though in your part of the world there are no doubt still a few 6mm thread Czech or Russian glowplugs knocking around from the early postwar years...

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Nelson turbo plugs...hot, or cold? Empty RE: Nelson plugs Hot or Cold

Post  66 Malibu Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:02 pm

The identification of Nelson plugs was always confusing to me due to the notches on the hex nut and the insulator color.
I knew that the Hot version had  the large filament hole and the Cold had the small filament hole.  
On a recent eBay listing, Larry said that he found out that the notches actually were a reference to a particular type of filament material.
I have some Nelson plugs 20 years old, 10 years old, and apparently new production that all seem visually different.
FWIW Steve..
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:23 am

Henry Nelson told me he still makes the plugs even though he's retired. He doesn't produce engines any longer. I was flying against him in Huntersville and the conversation of the N36 combat engine shifted to plugs. His plug style and type has been copied by many. In order to insure he would sell his plugs, he created a way to produce the plugs quicker and more effective than any manufacturer could. This was in order to keep the price as low as possible. The marks on the hex was used as a identifier for the most current HD plug. The hot doesn't use the notched hex. In the late 90's, he was experiencing some issues with threads being a bit tight and also the glass seals were failing on the post. He changed the process he was using a new method which to identify the newer HD, but it was also another manufacturing step to drive the competition away.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down