Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!


Cool Looking prop Cox_ba12





Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another one ready for the Weekend
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» The scrap yard Piper Cub aka Silver Lining/AIRTRUK
by andrew Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» My New Build Attempt
by Yabby Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» Guillows Cessna 150 build circa 1970 (Build Log)
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» Another Cox .010 converted to R/C & P-51 Mustang.
by balogh Yesterday at 3:51 pm

» .020 PeeWee
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:22 pm

» pictures of my engine collection.
by cmulder Yesterday at 12:49 pm

» Scientific King Cobra
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:02 am

» .010 Tee Dee ever so nasty in a blister pack
by Marleysky Yesterday at 8:01 am

» The Ubiquitous Yamaha TZ Grand Prix Racing Bike
by Yabby Yesterday at 12:29 am

» There are more and more new  cool engine models
by rmjtools Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:35 pm

» Cox car (Riviera and others) fan/flywheel/drive gear
by pertti_jarla Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:04 am

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2022
fredvon4's

Hot Tee Dee .049 featuring a Turbo Head and exhaust collector



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery


Cool Looking prop Empty

Cool Looking prop

Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Cool Looking prop

Post  Dick Russ Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:27 am

Master Airscrew sent me a 3 bladded prop to try on the streaker. I took it out yesterday and it really flew great. I am attaching a picture to share with you. I think it looks real cool on the plane and really pulls well in the air. Several watchers clapped as it took off. I will attach a picture for you to see how it looks.
Getting ready to go out again this afternoon. 62 degrees and 7 MPH wind in Yukon OK.Cool Looking prop Streak23
Dick Russ
Dick Russ
Silver Member
Silver Member

2021 Supporter

2022 Supporter

Posts : 78
Join date : 2021-11-23
Age : 84
Location : Oklahoma City, OK

Back to top Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Re: Cool Looking prop

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:34 pm

Dick, please list that size. I don't know if that would work as a alternative prop for control line as it would seem to me it would put a lot of load on the engine and then the drag factor of the lines. I would be interested in trying it though. Props seem to be diminishing at a fairly quick rate for us nitro lovers.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4873
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Re: Cool Looking prop

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:42 pm

Great, post a vid on you tube / share the link!

Let us all see how well you have matched the TD .049 to your kit plane.

Small Cox Logo Thumbs Up

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

2021 Supporter

Posts : 3247
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 59
Location : Brad in Texas

Back to top Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Re: Cool Looking prop

Post  Admin Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:00 am

That looks fantastic. I’d love to see a video as well.

_________________
-Jacob


Admin
Admin
Administrator

Posts : 5948
Join date : 2010-07-27
Location : Roseville, Minnesota

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Re: Cool Looking prop

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:48 am

Looks like their 5x3, 3-blade, prop?
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1850
Join date : 2010-11-20
Location : Sweden

Back to top Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Cool Looking prop

Post  Dick Russ Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:26 am

Ken Cook wrote:              Dick, please list that size. I don't know if that would work as a alternative prop for control line as it would seem to me it would put a lot of load on the engine and then the drag factor of the lines. I would be interested in trying it though. Props seem to be diminishing at a fairly quick rate for us nitro lovers.
Well there is always some disapointment sometimes with testing. The prop is a 5-3 and at first I was impressed when it looked cool and seemed be a good choice. The plane seemed to fly ok but after landing I went back to the two bladed 5-3 and the plane took off quicker and was flying faster and pulling vertical manuevers better. Based on that I have decided to stay with the two bladed prop. Years ago when I was flying for Commander we did some actual flight tests with both a 3 blade and a two blade prop on the Commander 500S and all our data showed the two blade props to be faster and more efficient. It looks like the same goes for the model props as well.
Dick Russ
Dick Russ
Silver Member
Silver Member

2021 Supporter

2022 Supporter

Posts : 78
Join date : 2021-11-23
Age : 84
Location : Oklahoma City, OK

Back to top Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Re: Cool Looking prop

Post  batjac Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:58 pm

Dick,

I have a couple of those props I bought for a twin project that uses counter rotating props on TD .049s, as the MA props were all I could find in left- and right-handed 3 blade 5 inchers.  They seemed a little thin and flimsy for the TDs to me so I never tried them.  Did you find any issues with their thin blades?  I don't need maximum performance, just three blades.

The Concerned Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2020 Supporter

2022 Supporter

Posts : 2118
Join date : 2013-05-22
Age : 59
Location : Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Back to top Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Re: Cool Looking prop

Post  sosam117 Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:03 pm

Dick Russ wrote:
Ken Cook wrote:              Dick, please list that size. I don't know if that would work as a alternative prop for control line as it would seem to me it would put a lot of load on the engine and then the drag factor of the lines. I would be interested in trying it though. Props seem to be diminishing at a fairly quick rate for us nitro lovers.
Well there is always some disapointment sometimes with testing. The prop is a 5-3 and at first I was impressed when it looked cool and seemed be a good choice. The plane seemed to fly ok but after landing I went back to the two bladed 5-3 and the plane took off quicker and was flying faster and pulling vertical manuevers better. Based on that I have decided to stay with the two bladed prop. Years ago when I was flying  for Commander we did some actual flight tests with both a 3 blade and a two blade prop on the Commander 500S and all our data showed the two blade props to be faster and more efficient. It looks like the same goes for the model props as well.

With a 3-blade prop would you go down in pitch or dia?
Using a 2-blade 5x3 prop then switching to a 3-blade prop, shouldn't the 3 blade then be a 5x2.5 or 5x2 prop?
Check the RPM of the 5x3 2-blade verses the 5x3 3-blade.
I think the 3-blade 5x3 might be loading up? Too much prop?
sosam117
sosam117
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 788
Join date : 2016-03-23
Location : Suburb of Chicago, Illinois

Back to top Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Cool Looking prop

Post  Dick Russ Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:07 pm

I feel you are right about the pitch but the plane flys so great with the two blade I'm just going to stay with it. I am presently using a 5.5-4 pitch and it seems perfect for the Streaker and the .049TD. I'm able to fly it like a pattern plane which is surprising for such a small plane weighing only19 ounces. The best part is even though our wind has been 13 MPH the little plane seemed to care less. The only problem I have had on landing on our grass strip is once on the ground on the roll out it always stops on its nose. Doesn't hurt anything just a little embarssing that I can't do a nice roll out to stop without going over on it's nose even with full up elevator. Maybe in the spring when we mow the field it will be better, Our grass is pretty high rght now. When I take it out next week I i'll see if I can get a video of it in the air.
Dick Russ
Dick Russ
Silver Member
Silver Member

2021 Supporter

2022 Supporter

Posts : 78
Join date : 2021-11-23
Age : 84
Location : Oklahoma City, OK

Back to top Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Re: Cool Looking prop

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:58 pm

Dick Russ wrote: When I take it out next week I'll see if I can get a video of it in the air.

Now your talking, lets see that bird carve some air up
How much is the all up RTF weight less fuel?

Small Cox Logo  Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

2021 Supporter

Posts : 3247
Join date : 2013-10-20
Age : 59
Location : Brad in Texas

Back to top Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Re: Cool Looking prop

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:52 pm

The 5x3 3 blade provides as much load as a 2 bladed 6x3 and possibly more. I was hoping it was smaller. Ideally a 4" 3 blade would suffice as the TD needs to turn up.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4873
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Re: Cool Looking prop

Post  Dick Russ Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:56 am

[quote="1/2A Nut"]
Dick Russ wrote: When I take it out next week I'll see if I can get a video of it in the air.

Now your talking, lets see that bird carve some air up
How much is the all up RTF weight less fuel?

THe flying weight of mine is 19 ounces
Dick Russ
Dick Russ
Silver Member
Silver Member

2021 Supporter

2022 Supporter

Posts : 78
Join date : 2021-11-23
Age : 84
Location : Oklahoma City, OK

Back to top Go down

Cool Looking prop Empty Re: Cool Looking prop

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum