Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used? Cox_ba12

Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used? Empty
Live on Patrol

Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used?

Go down

Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used? Empty Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used?

Post  balogh Wed May 25, 2022 7:42 am

I saw this on ebay, advertised as new, unopened, but the COX wrench marks are clearly visible on the exhaust opening...I have never seen this and doubt that the COX factory  installed the cylinders on the engines such that the wrench would leave marks?Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used? Newbab10

In addition the standard factory instruction sheet is also missing from the backside of the pack...strange, is it stated wrongly as new?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used? Empty Re: Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used?

Post  crankbndr Wed May 25, 2022 8:16 am

IMHO on my old packages the plastic is molded in one piece to cover the whole card, would be imposable to open front and not damage it.
The rear looks unopened as well. The instructions are not attached well so could easily come off. I say factory unopened.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134124504491?hash=item1f3a7185ab:g:O14AAOSwgMJidOxF
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used? Empty Re: Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used?

Post  cstatman Wed May 25, 2022 11:22 am

having jumped headfirst into the 'package restoration' rathole (thanks Bob - I admire and try to emulate your work) --- I've watched way too many YouTube videos, and spend way too much of my time and money, and am learning many many tricks to restoring boxes.

this could go either way. it could be shelfworn with time, or it could be a resto job. If the price is close, and it would make you happy to have and display? I say go for it! (the bidding already passed my comfort zone)

(so says the guy who now has a steam iron so he can properly flatten cardboard packing boxes, before using EVA glue thinned and painted to reseal plastic to cardboard)

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed May 25, 2022 11:35 am

Thanks Charles and Doug,

I am not bidding on this engine just wondering how come wrench marks are on a bubble packed new engine? I too cannot rule out that what we see here is the result of  a nice box restoration around a used engine..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed May 25, 2022 2:36 pm

Andras, you have a critical eye, and probably much better eyesight than mine but could it be light reflection? Maybe not.  I would be more concerned about the corrosion? on the backplate.  I would think it's legitimate, the seller has 100% positive feedback.  

I only have two blister pack engines neither worthy of note, they do not show those port marks.  

I did a package restoration on one Charles.   A least its color coordinated.  

Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used? P1013316
Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used? P1013317

Edit:

Whoops, missed one. It doesn't have those marks either.

Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used? P1013319
Oldstock blisterpack Bee on ebay seems used? P1013318
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed May 25, 2022 4:04 pm

Bob, not only I see the missing blueing on the exhaust ports where the wrench contacts the cylinder, but the left edge is apparently dented as after some excessive force used on a cylinder.

I do not say the seller is doing something dishonest, but the photo says it all about the engine.

If I needed I would still buy this engine and repair the blueing..I just opened this thread out of curiosity, because my NIB and unboxed but new COX engines never displayed these "assembly marks" that I doubt were inflicted in the factory...the oldstock engines with such or even lighter marks would certainly have not left the factory, given the very strict quality standards we all know COX followed in their heyday when the nice Bee was born...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed May 25, 2022 5:17 pm

These blister packs are pretty tamper evident Andras. If the seller was in the USA, I would buy it out of curiosity. $51 presently and $25 shipping makes this a no-buy for me. But I'm still curious.

I bought several of these in blister packs way back when as replacements, but it seemed like my Cox engines never wore out and I sold a bunch of them back in the seventies. Regret it now.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu May 26, 2022 6:05 am

It is clear that pack is not opened but cylinder has tool marks. Very interesting. Huh...
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu May 26, 2022 8:29 pm

Well isn't this a head-scratcher...... So out of curiosity, how did they put these together, mainly tighten the cylinders in the factory? Is it a possibility that the engine may have been 'carelessly' assembled on a Monday or Friday, new employee that didn't know better and give it a little extra shot while tightening? Or even a new employee assembling engines using the wrong tools?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down