Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Spitzy 8 ? O&r  Cox_ba12

Spitzy 8 ? O&r  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 10:11 am

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Spitzy 8 ? O&r  Empty
Live on Patrol

Spitzy 8 ? O&r

Go down

Spitzy 8 ? O&r  Empty Spitzy 8 ? O&r

Post  davidll1984 Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:43 pm

I would like to know more about these engines  Very curious to know if the little one with the prop attachment broken Would be repairable I just picked it up and I didn't start cleaning or dismantling without knowing How do we dismantle them? It seems difficult for some of them because I don't have the tools. For them, many of them probably need parts that are practically impossible to find, but we never know.

Spitzy 8 ? O&r  Img_2422
Spitzy 8 ? O&r  17014010

I found these two poor little ones who really need parts or a lot of creativity to make them functional
And Ohlsson and Rice Engine that seems to be missing parts like the other two but more complete
In the engine batch I found several very old engines obviously with COX engines. cheers
Spitzy 8 ? O&r  Img_2423
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Spitzy 8 ? O&r  Empty Re: Spitzy 8 ? O&r

Post  Ken Cook Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:23 am

I personally wouldn't take the Spitfire apart. Soak it if needed and try to remove the prop screw with grinding a slot and straight screw driver. There's absolutely no parts available. The cylinder screws into the case and the cylinder is quite soft. The case itself is as fragile as a eggshell and many times the ears are broken off. Many tried using pliers which totally screws it up cosmetically or it can even twist it.

The O&R is a sideport and it can be difficult sometimes figuring out the displacement if not clearly marked. The engine was offered as a spark ignition, later versions sold without the timer were for glow. Yours could be either or. You have the free flight tank which is somewhat of a rarity. In addition, the cylinder IS NOT REMOVABLE. The cylinder is spot welded on. When O&R started to remove the ignition timers and went to selling the version as glow, the cylinder were blowing off or breaking the case. O&R then began to detune the engine by lowering the compression to compensate. The engine is very anemic and this made the engine worse. These engine fell out of favor quite quickly. I personally love them as I find them to be easy starting in spark and glow. The O&R front case comes off and there's a unique thrust bearing used and the needles are loose in the cage which can be lost very easily if they fall out. There's no gaskets available and it's a very thin and a bit difficult to make. Keep the pitch at least a 6 pitch for most of the displacements the oil content at least 25% and the nitro 10% or under.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:05 am

A great success I managed to resurrect this engine it no longer had any fixing for the propeller I made the parts specially made for it and I used a modified Cox part for the spray bar and needle And it works well Spitzy 8 ? O&r  17087911
Spitzy 8 ? O&r  17087910
I had to re-drill the hole in the ventury to the bottom of the spray bar but not completely so that the air circulates sufficiently. The cox part is larger in diameter but only the part in the ventury but in fact slightly thinner in the holes in the crankcase then i jb weld in place its Perfect In doing so. I may have improved the air flow slightly Not knowing the performance of this engine originally it is difficult to say but with the small test inside the house showed that it worked well seems close to the performance of a Cox engine RC Plane
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down