Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

OK Cub 049R Question Cox_ba12

OK Cub 049R Question Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:59 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 8:38 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:34 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Yesterday at 2:17 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 1:21 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Yesterday at 11:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Tue May 07, 2024 12:29 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OK Cub 049R Question Empty
Live on Patrol

OK Cub 049R Question

Go down

OK Cub 049R Question Empty OK Cub 049R Question

Post  EXModelEngines Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:35 am

We got a couple of OK Cub engines that I'm not sure of the validity of their description and wanted to see if anyone heard of them. They are marked 'OK Cub 049R 1960 Prototype'. Based on some of the reference materials I have they look similar to the 1960 engine that never went into production, but not sure if they could be homebuilt either. Looks different than the straight venturi tube in back Ted ran during the later years.

OK Cub 049R Question Dsc_0415
OK Cub 049R Question Dsc_0416
OK Cub 049R Question Dsc_0417
OK Cub 049R Question Dsc_0418
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

OK Cub 049R Question Empty Re: OK Cub 049R Question

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:17 am

You have an interesting specimen there, Matt. I only have one .06R, reed valve with white tank. Just looking, yes, I'd think it could very possibly be a prototype.

It looks like it is adaptable to easily change parts and making adjustments, hence why all the threads, facets, etc. Then they could try different things to find what works best.

The later production model you mention of, once they got all the things dialed in, could simplify and make cheaper for production. That is my guess.

They were probably seeking ways to reduce production costs by going reed instead of front venturi.

Haven't checked the performance on my .06R yet, but am under the impression that its HP peaks out at a lower RPM than the Coxes. Similar to the Enyas, one can more aggressively prop (go up a half size to a size on either prop diameter or prop pitch) to take advantage of the greater power at lower RPM's, like the legacy Enyas.

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts. Maybe someone else here has better knowledge on history and can chime in.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddy Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:49 pm

I find the rear intake conversion on this Cub engine interesting. I believe the rear intake was intended for the Cub .049 A or B engine in 1960. In his book, "They Should Have Kept The Bear" by Ted Brebeck 1995, this engine is mentioned. I quote Ted's words. The OK Cub .049 RE 1960. Experimental reed valve intake at rear. Aluminum carb intake at rear, advertised, but not put into production in any quanity. In one of Ted's news catalog's from March 2008, he sold a conversation kit to make a .049 A or B engine into a reed valve/ rear intake engine. In the conversation kit that I purchased from Ted, it came with the new rear carb reed and needle assembly. Also included was a new blank crank shaft with no window that would replace the regular crank shaft. This complete rear conversion kit cost just $19.95 in 2008. To my knowledge it wasn't offered for the .059 reed engines, just the standard .049 engines. I have never mounted and run the conversion that I have, although I would like to see just how the engine would run with the rear intake as such. The Cub engines are really limited in their stock configuration to not much more than the 15,000 to 16,000 rpm at best. So other than the novelty of the rear intake, it was just an idea of, what if? Eddy
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:22 am

George, I know you and I have mentioned the OK .059 from time to time. I was fortunate to receive mine from Larry Scarinzi. Larry actually sold it to my son. He didn't want to do that but my son kept asking him for it. This is somewhat comical, Larry being a flat out combat guy with a attachment to a very low powered engine. Larry just said it was one engine that he could continuously rely on to fly free flight with. I have a 7x4 yellow Tornado on the engine. I've never really wound this engine up, I just run it as Larry did. Ted Brebeck prior to his retirement gifted me a new tank for the engine. I've become quite the OK fan these days. I really disliked them for years but as I dug deeper into them, they have quite a history and a following. I keep a small collection of runners of a variety of different sizes and offerings. I don't own a rear intake version as Matt shows. George you really need to run your engine, you might just be impressed with it. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:35 am

Appreciate the feedback guys! Definitely a bit strange compared to some other ones I've come across and can see if both ways either factory or aftermarket although if the latter it was done nicely.

I'll pull it apart and see what the internals look like as well. Will also measure the piston to be sure of the displacement.
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:02 am

Ken, as far as running, when my situation stabilizes, intend to do. Regarding Eddy's comment on RPM limited to 15K-16K, following web article gives some clues as to why.

https://www.adriansmodelaeroengines.com/catalog/main.php?cat_id=304 Adrian's: OK Cub Reed Valve Models
OK Cub 049R Question Ok_cub10
Adrian's .06R OK Cub Reed Valve Engine description, power curves and props

On 10% nitro, brake horsepower (BHP) peaked at 11,000 RPM. So, given the props Adrian indicated, figuring about 1K RPM drop on the bench would unload in flight to around peak. So, an APC 7x4 would be optimal.

On 30% nitro, BHP peaked at 12,000 RPM. Again, one would want to select a prop with about a 1K RPM static drop, so that it would unload in flight to near peak BHP. Again, Adrian's data shows an APC 7x4 would be optimal.

Not all props are equal. I'm thinking the Masters Airscrew props have a bit more resistance (slightly lower RPM) than the APCs. Perhaps a Master's 6x4 might be optimal, too.

I know some are into tach racing, to see how fast one can get an engine to turn. One can boost RPM, but in this case with the OK .06R, you then put the engine beyond it's best thrust capability.

Some time back, I equipped a 40 inch wingspan Hobby Shack Cessna 180 with a 1965 Enya .09-III TV. Peter Chinn in his engine review stated that running a prop smaller than a 7x4 was impractical, because it would take the engine beyond its maximum HP. This I found out was true.

When I fitted it with an APC 7x3 prop, the plane designed for a Cox .049 Bee flew very .049 like. But when I put an APC 7x6 prop on, then it flew like it had a .09 on it, became a wonderful sport plane.

I also found out something interesting with hand starting. It became more manageable with wooden props, was more finicky in starting with heavier plastic props, but with wood, was quick starting and easier to needle. So, some engines don't like a heavier high inertia prop.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:43 pm

I really enjoy these types of posts. I find them very rewarding in terms of always learning new characteristics and traits of the vintage engines. Eddy, you need to post more. I always enjoy your feedback and experiences. George, I found many similarities that I already encountered with Adrian's post. Number 1 being the yellow Fireball, I never had a lot of success with red hot Fireball plugs. The posts seemingly always leak, the filament gets sucked out of the plug cavity and I actually ruined a engine as a result of this. I still have some reds but I use caution as to where I use them. The funny thing is that I've had some last and I've had some go south quickly.  There's no telling when it can happen  or how to differentiate. So, yellow it's been on the OK engines with terrific success. I've also noted the run excels when using Cox type glow heads. I never used a high comp head, just the standard. I found the OK engines do like the nitro and there's no harm in doing so. George, you mention this quite often about the 4 pitch props. OK engines as I've found really do benefit from the older period 4 pitch propellers and they can sing along just fine with a 6x4.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down