Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Cox_ba12

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Empty
Live on Patrol

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine

Go down

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Empty Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:01 am

I think these engines were only used in the "big" Cosmic Wind models.

Designed to break-away in a crash they sit in a saddle inside the fuselage.  The bolt is there for nose weight only but I used a longer example plus a shim at the top to hold the engine in place for tests.  2X4 provides a stable platform, I have tried 1X2's before but they are subject to vibration. 3/4" hole for the fuel tank plus 3/8" for the bolt holds it secure.  

This engine is my test mule, uncleaned and missing the roto-matic starter but with good compression.  

Field box battery is dead and needs charging.  Fuel, I don't know. Very old Cox 25% or Traxxis.  

We shall see.........

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017376
Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017377
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Empty Re: Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine

Post  davidll1984 Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:24 am

I have read from several people that Traxxas top fuel is not of very good quality for this reason I do not use it ... But surely the problem is the oil content so with castor oil added I imagine that it does the job I too am going to have to test some engine when the outside temperature allows me here in Canada Quebec the temperature warms up Summer activities will start soon cheers
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Empty Re: Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:57 am

Well, that was easy.

Battery fully charged, Cox 35%, needle four turns out, prime in the intake and one exhaust port, third or fourth flip and it just took off running great. I didn't even adjust the needle. Took a couple of pictures, ran the tank out. Now I want to mount and run three at the same time on that 2X4.

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017379
Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017378
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:25 am

Always fun to do bench runs, I enjoy it often……. Three at one time?… That’s ambitious!!!…. Prelude to the tri motor tether machine?… I hope so Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:39 pm

rdw777 wrote:Always fun to do bench runs, I enjoy it often……. Three at one time?… That’s ambitious!!!…. Prelude to the tri motor tether machine?… I hope so Very Happy

Thanks Robert, I hadn't thought of that.  A Tri-motor!  I have been thinking P-47 likes.  Maybe another ground tether or a Ford Tri-motor...........

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017380

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Ford-t12

Engine leaking a bit.  I haven't disassembled it, some had case gaskets some not.  Bolted onto the 2X4 it had no centrifical force to pick up all the fuel. Going to take it apart and see what was left.

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017381

Darn good runner with no pampering.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:35 am

Good to hear it didn't misbehave starting and ran good , is the engine mount the back plate for the CC? Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:00 am

getback wrote:Good to hear it didn't misbehave starting and ran good , is the engine mount the back plate for the CC? Very Happy

Thanks Eric.  Smile Smile

It ran really good.  Offered no trouble at all.  Gave it a little after-run pampering.  Covered with spent castor, a bath, a litlle hair drier and we're back in business.  Completely emptied the tank too.

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017384
Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017385
Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017386

But, venting on this fuel tank has me confused.  How do they do it!!!  With most if not all others you have holes or nipples marked fuel or vent or as with the Cox Babe Bee's just a couple of smoke stacks sitting up there.  Not so with this engine.

I thought I had it figured there is a hole just above the mounting screw on the exterior

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017388

and behind the tubing in the tank is a dimple which may be a hole - shown here in white for clarity.  I thought they were connected, but notice on the white tank there is no exterior hole.

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017387

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Two_ho10

Testors made two different fuel tanks and color is not an indicator.  I have orange tanks with and without the exterior holes.

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017389

Inquiring minds would like to know??????
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:09 pm

The orange one has three holes on one side i bet the center one is the vent ? Is there a hole in the back ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:31 pm

getback wrote:The orange one has three holes on one side i bet the center one is the vent ? Is there a hole in the back ?

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Two_ho10

The center hole on left-upper group is a mounting-screw hole.

Here's one of mine (white one below). Those other two holes don't go through. I don't know what they're for. Maybe for tooling.. mold-release??

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Frv_fu11

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Frv_fu10

It appears that the "fill" becomes the "vent" once the filler-hose is removed. I just don't understand how the tank could be filled if the needle-valve was all the way closed. Huh... Maybe Testors instructions said to open the needle-valve prior to fueling? It would of course be open when "re-fueling".

The below instructions "do" say to open the needle valve first (see step #1).. but also say that fuel will squirt from the vent when full.. Huh...

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Thrott10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:38 pm

getback wrote:The orange one has three holes on one side i bet the center one is the vent ? Is there a hole in the back ?

Three holes in the back Eric, drill throughs for the mounting screws. Not connected.

I put the orange tank/mount in water and blew low pressure air through the top hole of the three.  The lower hole is blind, the center for a mounting screw and the exposed top blows air into the tank by the fill hole providing the vent.  But that doesn't explain the white tanks no-hole vent.  Still working on that one.

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017392
Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017391

Your a sometimes cook Eric.  I baked a yellow cake this afternoon........my weakness.  Covered it with chocolate frosting.  By 6 pm a quarter gone.  Smile Smile

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017393

Edit add:

Ah roddie chimed in while I was typing.  Nifty picture with the sprouts coming though the mounting holes.  But I did get air through the top hole into the fuel tank so I'm thinking that has to be the vent.  Huh...

More added stuff:

"It appears that the "fill" becomes the "vent" once the filler-hose is removed. I just don't understand how the tank could be filled if the needle-valve was all the way closed."

My needle was open four turns when I started it.  But - the filler tubing fills the enterance hole completely.  There has to be a vent to allow the fuel to pour in.  Either that or it comes in through the tubing to the NVA flooding the engine which it didn't.  

There has to be a vent hole in the tank somewhere.  It probably is quite small as in that dimple I pointed out in the white one. Remember when Cox the BB went to the single stack with the very small vent hole in the backplate.    When I applied air pressure I was getting air out around the filler hole.  Still can't figure the no hole examples.  The Black one I have has no hole there either.

Nice picture roddie. Think there must be an opening in the plastic between the top hole and the filler hole. Short distance. I could be wrong, so will check again. Glad someone else has an interest in these.

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Roddie12
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:34 am

I gave up on it, an unimportant mystery that will remain that way.

I just do not know how it vents when the fueling tubing is tight in the hole yet fuel flows into the tank and not out through the NVA supply tube. It has to vent somewhere. There may be enough looseness between the engines fuel line and the tank for air to escape. I dunno!!

This morning I filled those two vacant holes with water and it drained nowhere. It's possible that yesterday I did not have the compressed air nozzle tight against the hole. But I did get air bubbles into the tank.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:57 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I gave up on it, an unimportant mystery that will remain that way.

I just do not know how it vents when the fueling tubing is tight in the hole yet fuel flows into the tank and not out through the NVA supply tube.  It has to vent somewhere.  There may be enough looseness between the engines fuel line and the tank for air to escape.  I dunno!!

I think you're correct in that the engine's fuel-line is not a tight fit where it exits the tank. It might be designed that way for ease of replacement without having to remove the engine. When viewing the instruction sheet; what Testors refers to as the "vent".. is to the right side of the fill.. which is where the engine's fuel-line exits the tank.

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Thrott11

and then there's this tiny dimple.. which would seem to ensure venting; should the other venting system become blocked. It would also be washed with fresh fuel every time the tank is filled.

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Frv_fu12

The fuel-filler itself is a lousy design in my opinion. A place for debris to accumulate.. and end-up inside the tank. A nipple would have minimized that hazard.. but Testors didn't go that route for some reason.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:49 pm

Thanks roddle, the nipple is the better idea. I have never provided a good picture of that filler hole, so........

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017400
Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017401

and............."it's a little known fact"...........Cliff Claven mailman CHEERS 1990ish

that the Tyco SkyHawk is just a Testors Cosmic Wind in disguise.

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine P1017402

(It was under the Skyraider when I pulled it out for pictures.) Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:10 pm

Kim (I PM'd him) provides the only lodgical answer to venting the CW Testors/McCoy engine.

Getting ready to get ready - Running the CW Testors/McCoy engine Kim_ve10

Thanks Kim.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:46 am

NICE CAKE !! Sweet and sour chic. rice no pic. mostly gone LOL still working on my pizza skills one-two a week pizza day ..... That is just weird the filler hole? and venting at the loose hose going at the mount ! Huh... Glad you got some help and figured out what the deal is . This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:30 am

getback wrote:NICE CAKE !!  Sweet and sour chic. rice no pic. mostly gone LOL still working on my pizza skills one-two a week pizza day ..... That is just weird the filler hole? and venting at the loose hose going at the mount ! Huh... Glad you got some help and figured out what the deal is . This Site Rocks!

When all else fails........contact Kim. Smile Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down