Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives Cox_ba12

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Today at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Today at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Today at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Today at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Today at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Today at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives Empty
Live on Patrol

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives

Go down

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives Empty Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jun 10, 2024 12:32 pm

I never intended to get into these Jim Walker planes etc. but here I am deep into it and enjoying the adventure.  I like to see products evolve and I have the good fortune to possess most of Jim's offerings from the beginning to this clean-up model.

From Robert's link:

The Firebaby II is a kit made in the tradition of Jim Walker's famous 1/2A U-Control model from the 1950's. Along with the new motor mount, wing mount, fuselage, stabilizer, rudder and canopy you get some actual New Old Stock directly from American Junior. In this kit you actually get original Firebaby landing gear, bellcrank, control horn, and a brand new box from the last run of Firebabys in the early 1960's. We include a step-by-step color assembly instruction sheet, as well as copies of the original factory assembly plans. This production run is going to be limited to about 200 models, so quantities are limited

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives Fireba50
Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives Babypa13

Big changes are the plastic wing mount, split wing, the fuselage and the wooden firewall.  Someone went wild with epoxy and used a machine screw and nut to secure the canopy instead of the aluminum clip of the original.  Ok Cub .049-2 mounted. The spare parts and Baby Spitfire with a brass head and needle engine are a plus.

Lot's to investigate here.  From the West Coast, thankfully well packed.

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017761
Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017760
Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017759
Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017762
Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017763
Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017766
Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017765
Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017764
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives Empty Re: Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives

Post  rdw777 Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:16 pm

An interesting piece of the Firebaby story Bob…. This version would be some of the last commercially made FB’s making it unique…. The number produced was not that many either ….As you have time to inspect it please post noticeable differences from the early ones….I think the whole group appreciates fresh perspectives on these once very popular planes….. Probably jogs a few memories too….

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives 3f2ce910
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives Empty Re: Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:43 pm

A lesson in dexterity and patience getting those little 2/56 nuts that hold the wing on.  I lost three on the floor doing so.

Nothing tight.  It goes back in the box.  I made a patch for the missing wing piece.  Maybe a fine point red magic marker if they make such a thing.  

Sellers photo.  Honesty in advertizing.......

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives Seller12

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017768
Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017769
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:41 pm

rsv1cox wrote:A lesson in dexterity and patience getting those little 2/56 nuts that hold the wing on.  I lost three on the floor doing so.
I've been there done that. Why I have one of those mechanic magnetic retrievers on a flex 1/4-in. diameter shaft about two feet long. Sweep floor or rug with a broom (as long as not shag) into a dust pan, use the magnet or eyes to retrieve the parts.
rsv1cox wrote:Sellers photo.  Honesty in advertizing.......
Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017769
Nice bird's eye view of the size comparison between models. The Pee Wee powered Fire Baby is real eye candy, they did such a nice job in silk screening it's wing. A red Sharpie might touch up the balsa. If me, I'd touch up the bare balsa with clear dope or equivalent to reduce excess grain absorption, before coloring, (but a quick touch with a Sharpie without this extra step may do the trick, too). Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:25 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/335004676225?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D267143%2C266785%26meid%3D316af9f9c254413689d6badd8255eb1d%26pid%3D101196%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D373181411588%26itm%3D335004676225%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D4481478%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bAndUBSourceDemotionWithUltimatelyBoughtOfCoviewV1%26brand%3DSharpie&_trksid=p4481478.c101196.m2219&itmprp=cksum%3A335004676225316af9f9c254413689d6badd8255eb1d%7Cenc%3AAQAJAAABQKAGZatwWrSFioKhyF05YYps7xtgOI2Vu0BqB4BERv%252FNTfrUNkP50TZAJfREiGj7R%252BA2x2E5zTqSs43jfR6uCcmt8%252B%252BTUdobg9SfOq%252BIqjUBKIWCPcVWZXn9xOr2hN2lrssdJK9tGip%252FuKZht7OLB5VmdZfKpVBSCKfPcuEBiSbAmrScDtwjrh3oNtPLaptbCOfkdgBXF5x9cZvICV8qAtqdm11I2rovRFUCju%252FwIorRng9Vs51mRe8bvWUNIHvzFfoLwQwuI24I19vlg%252FaLiI0N3nfNgn%252B%252BRvm52vNIXvVBS%252B%252BL9gLlLUmLPPVFERU%252FOf7ruihwZKGyL6pbOhe1r0DyQfelC%252F5vO7tl7%252BkM8rIGFuTA6nmGW8O%252FjWa%252FM6av7MmXav2aA%252B7kKtjvA4Dp%252F8W6qGHK3%252BQrM9wl5VC0Kq4u%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A4481478&itmmeta=01J04SPX06YHJD5WTJ61RQQ71N

Thanks George, I did not know that these oil based fine point Sharpies existed.

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives Red_sh10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:41 pm

Bob, thanks, I didn't know paint fill-tip pens are now available either, only familar with the permanent markers.

I just went to the Office Depot (both Office Depot and Office Max merged) website. Individual Sharpie fine tip paint pens are $2.49 each, plus there are several manufacturers and they come in different point sizes and colors to include silver.

I can see a potential use for them in marking control surfaces (aileron, rudder, elevator, flaps, engine cowling flaps, panel lines, etc.) with these.

At least for me, more convenient to visit the local office supply store than pay on-line shipping (or shipping cost embedded in product price).
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:04 pm

Just to be safe, I bought one of these also.

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives Water_10

Outragious costs but free shipping.  Like eight dollars for just one pen.  But Walmart/Staples etc. are a two hour and two gallons of gas trip away, so I about break even.  

I find things lost on the floor by doing a flashlight grid search.  Cheap Lowes loop carpet on my workshop floor but things still bounce around.  In addition to the 2/56 nuts I found a needle valve spring.  Smile

I think the green spinner on the FB II is a Cox.  It had a well beat nylon TF 6/3 on it.  I cleaned it well held my nose and painted it gray for display.  If I ever run it I will change it to something proper.

The supplied twistable metal prop has its flaws, the threads on the crank do not go back all the way leaving a gap. It's either additional washers or a bushing. I chose the latter.

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017771
Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives P1017770

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:56 pm

Bob, my apologies, you really do live rurally. Yes, economics, like me visiting Amarillo or Lubbock 95 miles away, just to do shopping. Been there, done that. Not worth it, unless one has a more pressing need, like visit a doctor because our small rural town doesn't have the expertise.

Would like to hear of your experience with these new paint markers.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:17 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Bob, my apologies, you really do live rurally. Yes, economics, like me visiting Amarillo or Lubbock 95 miles away, just to do shopping. Been there, done that. Not worth it, unless one has a more pressing need, like visit a doctor because our small rural town doesn't have the expertise.

Would like to hear of your experience with these new paint markers.

Thankfully my Honda Accord gets 34+ MPG on regular octane. Nissan about 16 on hi-test so it stays garaged.

How is your wife doing? I would have PM'd but I think most here would like to know.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:21 pm

Nice idea on the paint pen Bob, George….In a pen format like that looks like it would be pretty controllable…. Next time you’re in a Hobby Lobby check out their India ink…. Colors are nice and bright and supposed to be light fast…. Fun to play with on balsa anyway….

I received Firebaby’s instructions, credentials…. Will keep it in the box with the plane…. I don’t ever plan to get rid of them so whoever finds it after me will have a better idea of what they are looking at…..Thank you very much Bob, Appreciated Very Happy

Perhaps I'm wearing out my welcome with these - but Firebaby II, Ceiling Walker, & other JW stuff arrives 0e3d5310
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down