Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The more I use CA the more I like Sigment Cox_ba12

The more I use CA the more I like Sigment Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 6:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The more I use CA the more I like Sigment Empty
Live on Patrol

The more I use CA the more I like Sigment

Go down

The more I use CA the more I like Sigment Empty The more I use CA the more I like Sigment

Post  SuperDave Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:33 pm

CA makes my eyes burn, leaves a residue, is difficult to remove from your skin and clothing, often flows were you don't want it, sets too fast to make accurate parts adjustments, .............................

Sigment does none of these plus the aroma reminds me of the good ol' days of Ambroid!

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

The more I use CA the more I like Sigment Empty Re: The more I use CA the more I like Sigment

Post  ahrma_581 Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:02 pm

CA has its uses; 'CA' hinges (obviously), tacking things that are difficult to jig. But people who use it for everything remind me of the saying "To the man with just a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."

Believe the stuff was developed to bond closely fitting, smooth surfaces. Which doesn't sound much like balsa wood.

Of course these days there is only one kind of gratification: instant. Who can wait 6 hours for a glue joint to set up?

''

Last edited by ahrma_581 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

The more I use CA the more I like Sigment Empty Re: The more I use CA the more I like Sigment

Post  SuperDave Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:50 pm

HARK! Wisdom from the Sonoran Desert!

Explains many modeling problems!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:57 pm

I agree! The more I build the less CA I use. As mentioned it's great for tacking things however, it can be messy and I find the CA joints to be brittle.

I guess to each his own. It does work just not as well as cement and Epoxy.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Ron, all of my club members use CA for the most part. I have a few rubber freeflight builders in the mix and they don't use CA at all. It's always Titebond or Ambroid. Since Ambroid is becoming harder to find Sig-Ment seems to be the alternative. I truly like Sig-Bond or regular Titebond aliphatic glues. These however aren't going to work well with certain laser cut parts as they will quickly turn the wood into a banana due to the water in the glue. The laser cut kits were really designed to be jigged up and then the joints glued. I think the bottom line is no matter how you look at it, there just isn't one type of glue to use. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:13 pm

ahrma_581 wrote:

Believe the stuff was developed to bond closely fitting, smooth surfaces. Which doesn't sound much like balsa wood.

''

It was accidently discovered while trying to make clear gun sites during WW2. Been around for a long time.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 pm

ahrma_581 wrote:...remind me of the saying "To the man with just a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
Never heard that saying before. I like it! Smile

When CA first appeared on the modeling scene, it (Satelite City's Hot Stuff) was only available as thin. To fill gaps and make better joints, many of us used baking soda. You would apply the baking soda to the joint with a paint brush, then hit it with CA.

Of course these days there is only one kind of gratification: instant. Who can wait 6 hours for a glue joint to set up?

''
Often true!
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:36 am

I've tried CA but I didn't like it, but I don't like CA hinges either...

My favourite fast glue is/was celluloid dissolved in aceton, but it's getting harder to find celluloid around here.
So now it is regular white glue and epoxy where it is needed. For laminating small stuff that will need sanding, the UHU-hart works better than white glue.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:20 am

I like CA, especially the thin variety. When it first came out, I avoided it, "Nothing that works like that can be any good!" But, after some testing, it's about all I use for most building. I still use epoxy for firewalls, high stress joints and hardwoods and Poly-U for laminating and foam. Building is a major part of the hobby for me and I tend to be fiddley and slow, usually cutting fat and sanding most joints to fit.

I think one of the problems folks have with CA is bridging joints and just using too much. I don't use the spout alone, but always insert a length of teflon spaghetti tubing. It is useful for wicking the right amount to a joint and gives me an extended reach into areas where the standard spout is too short or large.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:51 am

There's nothing like CA for a fast field repair, and I also use it a lot for building, but for any carving/sculpting project I always use the slow stuff. Slabs of balsa, glued and clamped in a vise will carve like a single piece of wood when dry, whereas the CA creates a "sheet-metal seam" that resists my knife or sanding block, leaving a petrified ridge at the joint.

I'm lucky in that I can still get Ambroid from Scheffers Hobbies in St. Louis, and also have a supply of Sigment Duco Household Cement is also great stuff...though Walmart usually only has it in pretty small tubes.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:05 am

Alot of folks just use the spout, and I think that is one of the things that turns most off. A overglue that makes a mess. The CA applicator glue tips allows you to put that tiny single drop right where you need it.

Someone gets ahold of the superthin 1-3 second set and glues everything down, including skin, and that tends to deter people right off of the bat. Have to be very careful with the superthin stuff.

I use the thin and medium thick for most builds. Epoxy where needed but CA for the rest.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:28 am

Keith has me thinking. DUH! cheers

Part of my CA problem is that I poke too big a hole in the application tip. When the CA comes out it is usually too much and therein lies my problem of excess. (I've been using my fly tying dubbing needle to poke the hole)

Just checked my selection of tiny drill bits an VOILA! Found one much smaller than the dubbing needle. Now I'm going to ditch the "overbore" applicator in favor of an applicator from a new bottle of CA make a smaller hole then using the old applicator to seal off the new bottle.

Thanks, Keith!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:44 am

No problem Dave. you can get replacement caps for your bottles,,if they are the Bob Smith style of bottles. Jet Adhesives also has replacement tips and caps.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:18 am

Keith:

Replacement tips bah! Laughing

I'm too fugal (cheap).

I'll just swap the applicator tips and toss the ones with the oversize holes. The oversized ones can alway be capped and used to seal new CA bottles whose tips have been used as replacements.

(Does that make any sense?) Huh... Huh... Huh...
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Gluing 101:

There are a few things that we sometimes forget about gluing. For example, if gluing two pieces of plywood together, epoxy should be used. Not only because of its strength but also because it cures chemically. White glue is strong but it takes a LONG time to dry between plywood pieces because the adhesive between layers in plywood makes it hard for the glue to breathe.

Also, joints should fit. Adhesive should never be used as a filler. To enhance fits we use the double-cement method. This involves pre-gluing the joint's mating surfaces then apply a new bit of adhesive and connect them. If possible, the joint should be clamped. For a minimum weight joint I understand that some folks even thin white glue for the initial application.

So we must consider drying time, penetration, and how it dries/cures. Cement uses a medium to help penetration. When the medium gasses off, what is left makes the bond. for aliphatic "white" glues, the medium is water. Epoxy cures so it doesn't need air. I THINK CA is anerobic (cures with lack of air)...not sure.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:08 pm

I am liking Elmer's wood glue, applied with a small paint brush (I am in my first build using primarily Elmer's wood glue). Instant? no. Gap filling? sorta. Easy to work with and around? Yes! Allows for repositioning? Yes! Fume free? YES! Lightweight? Yes, depending on how much used.

On wing ribs I set up with Testor's wood and metal cement, which is a celluloid based glue that has above average gap filling properties. I also use CA when I need a faster grab on parts wit tight fit. A few hours later, or the next day I go over the joints with Elmer's.

On portions that are easy to jig and pin I have been just using the Elmer's wood glue.

Cloth hinges are SUPER EASY with Elmer's, even compared to using Testors (which is also easy compared to CA) Wet the cloth with water, put a spot of glue on the wood, fill the cloth with more glue, using water as needed, then let it set up for a few hours. Join the hinge in the same manner, wet the cloth, apply glue to the wood, join the hinge, fill the weave using added water if needed. **Weight the assembly together and let sit flat and tight overnight to prevent warping. You must allow some air space though**

I transferred some of the Elmer's wood glue into a 1/2 cup jelly (canning) jar with a good lid, only 1/3 full (it dries out when you are using it). I store my brush soaking in another jar of water. Sometimes I have to thin the glue with water, sometimes on the wood, sometimes in the jar. I expect to have to throw out some of my glue.

As another note, Glad Press-and-Seal can be used to cover your building board and plans if needed, it resists (might lift but the glue does let go clean) all the adhesives I have used (CA, Elmer's wood glue, Testors Wood and Metal cement, Gorilla white polyurethane, I need to test Epoxy still)

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  jsesere Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Damn. I just glued my hand to my workbench again.
jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:13 pm

SuperDave wrote:Keith:

Replacement tips bah! Laughing

I'm too fugal (cheap).

I keep one tip without a hole in the end --- at the end of each building session, I replace the open tip with the closed one. Never have to worry about knocking the bottle over or have the CA gell up too soon due to moisture. The tips and teflon tubing I've been using get dropped into a sealable tub of acetone. Any crusted CA will be dissolved by the time I get ready to build again.

If you need a thin applicator tip and don't have any tubing or tips available, you can make passable tips from the Q-tips with the plastic stick portion. Heat the center section over a candle until very pliable and pull -- you can then stretch out a long thin tube that may be cut to the desired length and size.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:38 am

Ok, my fingers are going to betray me, so I will let them.

Worked at a grocery store during high school. One night stocking shelves, two perpetrators walk in. With fingers in there hoodie pockets simulating guns, they proceed to rob the place. They marched all 4 of us to the back room and were were thinking " well, this is it" because when they march you back, that usually means bad things are about to happen. Once they had us gathered in the back, they break out the bottle of superglue and proceeded to glue our hands together (separately) around steel building support poles. Me and the owners son around one pole and the two severely distressed checkout ladies around the other. Once the glue had set, the two perps ran up front and yanked all of the cashier drawers out and ran off with the cash. Me and the owners son dug down deep inside the survival mode instinct that had blocked the pain from adrenalyn overdose and peeled our hands apart and then separated to each side of the store to observe out of the shoplift sight windows after picking up some 2x4's from the stock room. The perps had long gone by that time. I still have a few slight scars on my hands from the peeling process, which basically peeled skin from the full dousing of glue they had put on our hands. The perps were never caught.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:28 pm

Keith:

Don't tell that story to Eric Holder (US Attorney General) or he'll try to ban CA too. Affraid or WOW!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum