Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

OK Cub value Cox_ba12

OK Cub value Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 17:59

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by roddie Today at 17:54

» How's the weather?
by rsv1cox Today at 17:32

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 15:27

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 15:03

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 4:59

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 4:15

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 18:47

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 17:57

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 15:59

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 13:46

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 12:33

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OK Cub value Empty
Live on Patrol

OK Cub value

Go down

OK Cub value Empty OK Cub value

Post  TheotherGeoff Tue 26 Feb 2013 - 21:59

Someone on the big auction site has an OK Cub .049A for sale at $125.00. Is the guy absolutely bat barf raving nuts??? It's one of the ones they assembled from left over parts about fifteen years ago, stuck in a plastic bag with a prop and a decal set, and sold for about $16.95. I have one, and assume its value to be about what I paid for it. Which is the more accurate price?

Geoff
TheotherGeoff
TheotherGeoff
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

OK Cub value Empty Re: OK Cub value

Post  Mark Boesen Tue 26 Feb 2013 - 22:16

About 16.95 plus shipping, lol!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue 26 Feb 2013 - 22:26

If someone buys it on feebay then it's worth $125!

Lots of that going on on eBay. There was a babe bee bid up to $32 last night and it had a few days left. Crazy Eyes
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue 26 Feb 2013 - 22:30

lol, it would be worth that to the guy buying it! I used to look at sales for the more collectable stuff and you could see where the bulk of the bidding was and gave you a better idea of values.

Herkimer stuff just doesn't bring the money like Cox stuff does,
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Wed 27 Feb 2013 - 12:44

Mark Boesen wrote:lol,
Herkimer stuff just doesn't bring the money like Cox stuff does,

Yet
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Wed 27 Feb 2013 - 14:53

I've got one for sale on ebay for $25 Smile
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  David S Sun 28 Jun 2015 - 3:51

TheotherGeoff wrote:Someone on the big auction site has an OK Cub .049A for sale at $125.00. Is the guy absolutely bat barf raving nuts??? It's one of the ones they assembled from left over parts about fifteen years ago, stuck in a plastic bag with a prop and a decal set, and sold for about $16.95. I have one, and assume its value to be about what I paid for it. Which is the more accurate price?

Geoff
I bought 3 of the OK Cub engines when they were offered for sale. I have run one engine and the other 2 are still in their bags.Not for sale,now part of my collection.

David S
David S
David S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun 28 Jun 2015 - 4:31

One determining factor is engine size. Many of the larger sizes were just not that common. The .19 for instance is not one that you come across a lot of. Some of the smaller mills are not as common as well. While I'm not overly impressed with their performance at times, I'm quite fond of my OK .149. That was another unpopular size. The .149 has reasonable performance for that era engine but it has a deafening exhaust note. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu 2 Jul 2015 - 17:18

If one wants the performance of an OK Cub .049 for model aircraft of the late 1940's to early 1950's that used them, could put a glow plug head adapter on a Sure Start to drop RPM down to OK Cub levels.

That may sound far fetched, but to the person wanting to mimic flight characteristics of the earlier engines without putting wear and tear on a vintage motor, may be viable.

According to April 2011 Fly RC magazine article, Cox .049 Glow Engines, Sure Start with a glow plug head dropped RPM from 18,600 to 14,500 in comparison with a button insert glow head, a decrease of 4,100 RPM.

Here is a comparison of the various .049 level engines based on various engine tests.
OK Cub value 049_en10

I added the Fox .09 Rocket engine, as it's power is very .049 like. With a displacement of 0.099 CI, I thought it may help those who want to employ the A.C. Gilbert .11 Thunderhead of knowing where the engine ranks. May 1960 Model Aircraft rated the Fox at 0.11 BHP at 14,000 RPM in contrast to Peter Chinn's 0.84 BHP at same RPM, although prop RPM's were consistent.

Those interested in a new OK Cub .049 may want to contact the manufacturer. Their prices are considerably cheaper than that E-Bay listing. I heard that they were discontinuing engine sales some time in near future. Thus, it would be worthwhile to contact them ASAP. http://www.okengines.com/main.shtml
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu 2 Jul 2015 - 19:03

that's interesting George , I didn't know they were still in business / have you there catalog ? I see they warranty there airplane engines for a year even if you crash it and tear it up . WOW Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri 3 Jul 2015 - 0:13

No Eric, I haven't contacted them yet. I've got both an "A" and "B" and that is enough for me. Just thought that if anyone was contemplating, their better bet is getting a new one at reasonable cost instead of taking your chances used through an auction.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri 3 Jul 2015 - 0:49

You'd still be taking a chance, the "new" engines are assembled from parts made in the early 60's. I'd rather roll the dice and buy one that looks like new and hope the piston/cylinder fit is better then to buy new that may not be "fitted" as well, come to think of it many of the Cub engines are hit or miss regardless of when it was assembled.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri 3 Jul 2015 - 0:58

You bring up an interesting point, Mark. I didn't realize that there were really QA issues with the OK's. That said, I'm thinking one would be better off downsizing a Sure Start with a glow plug head if they need an engine with the power output of the OK Cub .049's. Anyway, I've got 2, an "A" that has decent compression, a "B" that barely has compression.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri 3 Jul 2015 - 3:27

Ted tells me that they will be trading until the end of this year and there are lots of parts and engines left, well at least there were a few months ago when we last communicated. Prices are very reasonable, so if you wanted an engine it would be worth buying another cylinder and a few extra pistons and find the best fit yourself. I had an .099 with poor compression and wouldn't run. New cylinders were not available, but pistons were. Ted went through a few pistons for me and found the largest he could, I fitted it and the engine runs great. If you're after a better performing engine, see if they still have any of the reed valve .049s or .06s with the glow head. They are a far better engine than the FRV ones. I think they are about $30 new.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri 3 Jul 2015 - 6:13

yep, the .060 reedies were probably the best of the lot and you can use a Cox glowhead on it.

Quality control seemed to be a problem for a lot of companies, McCoy, Wen-Mac, Cubs, etc. (this is where Cox took over the market) seems like the ones that fought for market share with low prices suffered the most. Some of the early Wen-Macs with the groove around inside cylinder by exhaust ports could be worn out after 1/2 dozen flights. I've had strong running Cubs go south real quick as well.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri 3 Jul 2015 - 11:52

Mark. It's interesting that you mention both the .060 reedie and their quality control issues. I picked up an .060 a while back on ebay and was pretty pleased with the way it looked as it showed no sign of being knocked around, but was sold as used. Very clean and tidy plus excellent compression, plus a good glow head. But do you think that thing would fire up? No way. I'd get a burst on an exhaust prime but no fuel draw at all. Screwed the needle right out but couldn't get any fuel to draw. I suspected a faulty reed, but a quick dismantle showed no problems there. Checked the fuel passage & couldn't blow through the spray bar. Poked, prodded and blew, but no joy, so I gently eased the spray bar out of the plastic tank to find it had no hole drilled in the side of the brass tube to draw fuel through. Must have been made that way. Pulled the tube from a spare tank I had, assembled her up and off it went without hesitation. Runs equal to any Babe Bee I've run. Maybe it just missed a step in production, or maybe the rumours of sabotage by disgruntled employees are right. Anyway, I ended up with a great engine for little money.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum