Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats. Cox_ba12

Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Today at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Today at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Today at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Today at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Today at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Today at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats. Empty
Live on Patrol

Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats.

Go down

Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats. Empty Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats.

Post  batjac Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:00 am

Well, being inspired by Joe’s Baron thread (https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7585-cox-baron-airplane#95521), my mind got to wandering and wondering again.

If I were to take one of these Wild Wings Planes and mess around with it, what would I get?
Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats. _57_zps84fe3fef
Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats. WW_57_zps15e3a8af

Notice the widening of the fuselage where the tank sits right at the wing c.g.?  If you pulled the plastic fuel tank, wouldn’t that be just about right for a bladder to expand and fill the space?

And wouldn’t it be interesting to take a Killer Bee backplate from Bernie, press out the needle valve and replace it with a 128TPI needle valve from a postage stamp, and place it in this airplane with a Black Widow or TD piston and cylinder from Bernie?

And that landing gear?  It just looks like it’d be in the way, since I fly off of grass anyway.  The plane could just be stooge launched.  It can go.

All that open space under the plane creating drag?  A quick application of tape under the fuselage to fair that over, and it’s nice and clean.  If the experiment showed promising results, a clear plastic or 1/16” balsa bottom could be cut and sanded to shape for a more permanent solution.

That bellcrank?  I bet it could be made much more flush with the bottom of the wing.

Hmmmm.   I just happen to have three Killer Bee backplates that need the needle assemblies pressed out of them (they were inserted into the backplates upside-down somehow), a TD P/C set needing something to do, a postage stamp backplate that could donate its NV assembly, and plenty of tape/balsa eagerly waiting to be used.  All that I don’t have is the bladder setup and the plane.  I guess it’s time to step up my search for the plane…

The Ever Expanding Project List Mark

Thinking some more, maybe a little more rearranging.  It's hard to tell from the photo above, but without the landing gear, the bladder could probably go ahead of the existing fuel tank, c.g. be damned.  Then, the bellcrank could be located inside the fuselage to eliminate that drag.  

Want to go even further?  Take some Dollar Tree foam, 3M 77 it to the bottom of the wing and sand it to match the top surface, making the wing symmetrical, and then cover it with packing tape.

I'd say my hare-brained ideas are getting the better of me, but since I'm wearing my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats, it's THEIR fault I'm doing all this scheming.

The Blameless Mark

Last edited by batjac on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:17 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Thinking again.)
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats. Empty Re: Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats.

Post  RknRusty Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:11 am

Speaking as one of the devils on your shoulder, I like the idea. We need dimensions. I'll pump up a bladder and see what the diameter and length is with an ounce of fuel which is a good 5 or 6 minutes of flight juice. I'd like to see it nestled behind the engine. I like for it to straddle the GG. It's about the shape of a Johnsonville bratwurst.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats. Empty Re: Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats.

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:26 am

lol, lets start a proxy plastic racing class!

I think that plane would look cool with some thin mouse racing wheels, small aluminum bell crank, efficient APC prop and of course a hot reedy!

Last edited by Mark Boesen on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:57 am

Here's about a 5 or 6 minute flight. It needs to be about +1inch wide so as not to constrict the bladder.
Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats. Wp_20115

And a couple of inches long. It never gets wider as you increase the fuel, it just grows longer.
Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats. Wp_20114

That's a 1 way valve in the tail. It makes filling quick and simple. Just jam the syringe in the tail, give it a nitro enema and let it rip
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:35 am

That sounds pretty wild Mark , Go for it like to see what happens when you turn up the Heat !! Eric Rudolph Flying
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:48 am

Devil #3 reporting in...   I'd keep the bellcrank where it is Mark. Put "some sort" of a wingtip-weight on.. because I don't see one there.. Shocked I'd also make a shroud (1/2-tube) from thin plastic sheet for a bladder-bay.. to avoid abrasion. Since you're not using the L/G.. you could utilize the L/G mount-slot.. and make a music-wire "hoop" to hold the bladder up inside the fuse. Do you have an APC 4.75 x4 prop?

Streamlining the bottom of the fuse could make it difficult to service the bladder.. but one way to try it, would be to cut a piece of .5mm clear plastic sheet, having the outline of the fuse bottom.. and cut a slot for the fuel line. It looks like there are "tabs" on the nose for rubber-bands? If so; punch 2 holes (using a std. hole-punch) in your clear-sheet to thread a rubber-band through and up around the tabs.. and you have your front-mount. Devise something simple and lightweight for securing the rear. I would use hook & loop fasteners.

None of these mods would require altering the stock airframe at all.

Hang onto your "RRM" hat when you go to fly it though!!

:lol!:Rusty.. nitro enema!  lol!

Devil#3 signing-off..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:54 am

yep, I was thinking just replace bell crank with an aluminum one. Maybe make it a one wheel LG?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Here's a Mustang built years ago (and of course never flew) Tee Dee cylinder, Black Widow case, flared open backplate 128TPI needle, reworked 1/2a Pylon prop, cut down rubber tires, etc. This ended up in the pile along with the modified PT-19, hot "Mouse" engine (8cc tank) and full travel bellcrank with the thought of outside loops and inverted flight.

Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats. P51rac10
Putting on my Roddie, Rusty, and Mark (Boesen) hats. Parts10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down