Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by Kim Today at 3:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Empty Re: Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title

Post  roddie Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:19 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:A lot of ingenuity and quality handiwork, roddie, I'm looking forward to your finished product and flight report. Thumbs Up

George, Thanks! I edited; adding more description/photos as you were posting.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Empty mount fail

Post  roddie Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:59 pm

Well.. we're getting there.. but not with a bottom clamping-action. DAMMIT!  but I'm not a quitter!

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Dsc02523

A top slit lengthwise instead, may be the answer. I'll have to cut another length of pipe though. The top of the case is the issue.. therefor; the pipe needs to be notched more in the center.. and less toward the nose, for the engine to snap into place.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Dsc02525
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Dsc02526

That single rail/mount on the right side of the case could be filed-down some.. and rounded to the contour of the pipe. The slot for it could also be closed on the end. There's about .100" of clearance between the rail and the spring-starter housing.
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Dsc02527

You gotta' admit.. it sure would be a streamlined nacelle.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Dsc02528
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Empty Re: Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title

Post  roddie Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:24 pm

I never noticed this small hole between the guide-rails.. It was hard to photograph. It doesn't seem like it would have been functional..  Huh... Anybody have a pic of the mating-mount in a Testors ARF model?

lol! Nobody ever saved the broken airplane.. just the engine! If you still had the model.. the engine would probably be in it. Of course.. if you had a fuse, you could bench-run the engine by clamping the fuse to a sawhorse!!  Laughing

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Dsc02611
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:49 pm

Work of art roddie. New life for a purpose built engine. Could the same thing be done with like diameter aluminum tubing? Might save some weight but machining would be more difficult.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:22 pm

Good job, Roddie. I'd passed on the PVC path, but I'm glad you ran with it so we could see how it comes out. I've settled on two different mount designs, one heavy and one light. I deviated from my mount building to build a fuselage to mount the engine in. It's not supposed to rain Thursday, so maybe I can test fly it then and know if this is feasible or just an interesting experiment.

The Deviant Mark

batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:29 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Work of art roddie.  New life for a purpose built engine.  Could the same thing be done with like diameter aluminum tubing?  Might save some weight but machining would be more difficult.

The PVC has promise.. because of the way it's made. I believe it's extruded.. and being as rigid/dense as it is; permits slicing end to end.. having it spring-back against itself. This would allow for a squeeze-fit.. providing it's notched correctly to fit around the top of the case and cylinder. To tell you the truth.. the ear/rail on the side of the case could be trimmed off completely.. because the engine is now being held at the top of the case.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:10 pm

Pipe bomb speed!! I love it.
Phil
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:49 pm

chevyiron420 wrote:Pipe bomb speed!! I love it.
Phil

Yea.. it seems like a worthy endeavor for this little engine that's so despised for it's post-wreck non-usability. Imagine a stubby little speed model.. with a 12" wingspan.. 30 foot lines..  Affraid or WOW!  sturdy music-wire gear placed well-forward for easier ROG launches. If I get this mount worked out.. an airplane like this would build quickly.. non-scale/experimental.. no-frills.. who cares if it crashes fun! Nothing ventured.. nothing gained.

For anyone wanting to give the 3/4" PVC pipe-mount for Mark's modified Testors back-plate engine a try; I cut my pipe to 2.125" long. This should provide room to hold the engine.. with room behind it to utilize a 3/4" hardwood-dowel firewall. I'll see if I can get V.2 worked out tomorrow. I'm going to trim/remove that channel/rail-mount from the side of the case and eliminate the slot in the pipe for it. This will help the pipe close tighter around the top case-edges better. The cylinder and the raised cylinder-boss on the case will lock the engine in place in the pipe.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Dsc02612
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:13 am

Okay.  I finally got some time to get back to the Testors mount.  This is what I’m going with right now.  It’s not elegant, not sleek, and not polished.  But it’s made of scrap wood so it’s cheap.  It only weighs 12 grams bare before fuel proofing.  And it clamps the engine in tight.  It looks unwieldy, but there’s a reason for the shape.  I put that rear try on it so I could use it to hold a fuel tank.  And the width was chosen for the airframe I plan to put it in.  I figure I’ll make a variant of the coroplast PT-19 fuselage for this, but with a fixed stabilizer rather than a stabilator.  So the width of this mount is the same as that of the formers for the coroplast PT.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 DSCN3445_zpspdyesav3
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 DSCN3443_zpss19vdcgh

Here is somewhat how it will look in the new airframe.  This is the airframe for the Medallion powered PT-19 I made, so on the next fuselage I’ll be making a different cylinder cutout and different mounting screw holes.  But you get the idea.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 DSCN3450_zpsthda0dcu
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 DSCN3455_zpsn3gwrdrt
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 DSCN3456_zpsz1vvtdny

I keep thinking I may just cut the fuel tank tray off the back and save the weight.  Cut down, I’d imagine the weight would only be 6 or 7 grams.  I’ll have to remember to weigh it with the engine in place.

The Bare Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:26 am

Wood engine mount system and plane look great Mark, waiting for test report, excellent work and ingenuity. Beer Cheers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:24 pm

Nice job Mark! Thumbs Up  The 3/4" PVC would be a lot heavier I think.. but if I can get the engine to snap-in and hold securely, I could try a cool firewall mount for a profile fuse that I sketched-out last night. I think I'm going to have to cut that slotted rail off the side of the engine's case to make this work.. It's too close to the front-limit of the case-fit and a slot for it really weakens the pipe's clamping ability. I need a 3/4" hole-saw and don't have one in my assortment..  Rolling Eyes I used a paddle-bit to drill the first prototype's hole.. and it's wack.. not to mention hard to do.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Dsc02613

I'm cutting another length of pipe to slot differently. If I can source a smaller hole-saw, I'm hoping to only have to cut a 2nd full-length (razor-saw) cut..to create a slot slightly narrower than the case and one hole-saw cut strategically-placed in between to surround the cylinder.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Dsc02614

Good luck with flying your coroplast variant! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:38 am

So I got this almost wrapped up.  For landing gear I made this a mono-wheel to save time and weight.  Besides, I only had one wheel sitting on the table unclaimed.   This pretty much turned into a little Testors power pod, which seems like a decent result.  Put together, the power pod weighs 3.1 ounces, or 90 grams.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 DSCN3467_zpsas3f31iv
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 DSCN3469_zpszwgon07q

The airframe is done with the exception of bending up an elevator pushrod.  It weighs 3.95 ounces.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 DSCN3471_zps9ppbice3

So, guessing that the pushrod and various screws will add a couple of tenths of an ounce, we’ll call the estimated ready to fly weight at 7.3 ounces.  This compares favorably with the Cox Bee powered coroplast PT-19 I built at 7.65 ounces.  I’ll post the actual if I remember to weigh it.  It’s the middle of the night, so I’ll get assembled pictures tomorrow after I make up the pushrod.

The Forgetful Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:51 pm

Okay.  Ready for the weather to clear up and test fly.  The airframe is ugly, but it’s only meant to be a quick fixture to hold the Testors engine.  Gentlemen and Lady, I present The Pipe Bomb Special:

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 DSCN3472_zpscohpeiaj
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 DSCN3473_zps6imipcpk

I only built the fuselage, the wing I pulled off of one of the PT-19’s I built earlier.  I deviated from Keith Morgan’s plans in that I made a stab and elevator instead of a stabilator.  I thought about making a separate hinge for the elevator and stab, but as this was just a quick and dirty build, I just slotted the coroplast for the hinge.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 DSCN3475_zps3krew0yx

The Ugly But Functional Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:13 am

Congratulations Mark! Did the weight come in where you expected? What size is that gear strut wire? It looks heavy to me.. Shocked  Does the model balance comparable to your other variants? You're RTF engine-pod is approx. .5oz. heavier than a Baby Bee engine w/prop.. so removing that strut and wheel might make a big difference in how well it fly's.

FWIW.. I don't think it's ugly at all. Do you have a 1.25" plastic spinner? Slotting the top of the fuse for a profile canopy would dress it up some.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:34 am

Great all around effort Mark.  Looks great, but a bubble canopy would dress it up.

roddie, you would be surprised just how light that nose wheel is.  I have a couple and I couldn't believe the lightness.  

From the peanut gallery..........

Bob

Hmmm....Just did a search for a small/1/2A canopy on Omni & Tower +ebay. Seems they are difficult to find.

Last edited by rsv1cox on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:38 am

Looks Pretty Good there Mark, hope it flies Ok for you (report please) Good to see your putting that stuff to good use . Eric Easter Bunny Those wheels are really light Bob just read your post and had to go back and LOOK lol!

Last edited by getback on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add on)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:44 am

Slice up a pop bottle to get a canopy, or recycle some packaging.

Looks good.
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:48 am

rsv1cox wrote:Great all around effort Mark.  Looks great, but a bubble canopy would dress it up. [...] Hmmm....Just did a search for a small/1/2A canopy on Omni & Tower +ebay.Seems they are difficult to find.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enterprise-Blue-Chip-Store-Display-Accessory-Pack-NIB-/301273257243

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Enterp10
Penn Valley Hobby Center wrote:Enterprise Blue Chip Store Display Accessory Pack. Contents include, 12 1-¼” Spinners with back Plate, 8-3” Canopies, 12-4” Canopies, 24-½” Pilots and 18-1” pilots. Neat Collectable. New Old Stock.

$10 + $6 shipping. I bought one, the canopies are suitable for both 1/2-A CL planes, FF and rubber powered, comes with matching pilots ready to paint.

Mark, it looks excellent, with a bubble canopy it'd look like a generic WW2 fighter, like a lot of CL's do.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:11 pm

roddie wrote:Congratulations Mark! Did the weight come in where you expected? What size is that gear strut wire? It looks heavy to me.. Shocked  Does the model balance comparable to your other variants? You're RTF engine-pod is approx. .5oz. heavier than a Baby Bee engine w/prop.. so removing that strut and wheel might make a big difference in how well it fly's.

Roddie, the weight came out about where I expected.  Final weight was 7.4 ounces after balancing.  It was slightly nose heave at first, but easily fixed.  This shows two more great things about building with coroplast.  To find the balance, just mark the balance point on the wing, make a couple of needle holes, and pass a thread through the holes to suspend the plane.  To balance the plane, I use a hot glue gun.  I use the gun to fill the flutes at the back of the plane with glue.  That allows me to add a couple of grams at a time until the plane balances out just right.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 DSCN3479_zpsjjlv4oa6

The gear wire is 1/16".  That's about as small a diameter I can go without it being too bendy.

The Expectant Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:17 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Great all around effort Mark.  Looks great, but a bubble canopy would dress it up. [...] Hmmm....Just did a search for a small/1/2A canopy on Omni & Tower +ebay.Seems they are difficult to find.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enterprise-Blue-Chip-Store-Display-Accessory-Pack-NIB-/301273257243

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Enterp10

$10 + $6 shipping. I bought one, the canopies are suitable for both 1/2-A CL planes, FF and rubber powered, comes with matching pilots ready to paint.

Mark, it looks excellent, with a bubble canopy it'd look like a generic WW2 fighter, like a lot of CL's do.

I saw those before, but I didn't realize how much stuff came in the package. I just ordered one. That should give me a little material to work with.

The Planning Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:02 pm

batjac wrote:
roddie wrote:What size is that gear strut wire? It looks heavy to me.. Shocked

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Dscn3410

The gear wire is 1/16".  That's about as small a diameter I can go without it being too bendy.

The Expectant Mark

The gear wire looked a lot bigger in the above photo. Have you had a chance to get a flight in? How did you go about removing the tank to end up with the round back-end?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:01 am

roddie wrote: Have you had a chance to get a flight in? How did you go about removing the tank to end up with the round back-end?

No flight yet. Still raining. I have to wait a couple of days after rain because I fly from a grass field that's soggy after a rain.

To cut the tank, I just used a razor saw and cut the back of the tank off where the air tube is. That leaves about a quarter of an inch where the round portion is. I then used an aluminum sanding block to square it up, and then trim off all the fuzz with an X-Acto knife. Quick and easy.

The Soggy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:26 am

batjac wrote:
roddie wrote: Have you had a chance to get a flight in? How did you go about removing the tank to end up with the round back-end?

No flight yet.  Still raining.  I have to wait a couple of days after rain because I fly from a grass field that's soggy after a rain.

To cut the tank, I just used a razor saw and cut the back of the tank off where the air tube is.  That leaves about a quarter of an inch where the round portion is.  I then used an aluminum sanding block to square it up, and then trim off all the fuzz with an X-Acto knife.  Quick and easy.

The Soggy Mark

Thanks Mark. What a drag.. You must be Jones'n to fly.. given the several models you've built over the last year. I've lost count.. but there's the Lil Toot last April.. the Pee Wee-modified Sea Fury, the 3 BTC series models, the Coro-Plast Duplex Delta and PT-19's... Holy crap!

I removed the back of the tank by cutting along the "flat".. so my air-intake will share the needle-access hole in the side of the pipe. I'll try filing a notch through the housing to expose the fuel-nipple. A 1/2" hole through the pipe should allow clearance for the needle on one side.. and R & R of fuel-line on the other.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Dsc02615

I found a 3/4" hole-saw to hopefully form a saddle to surround the engine cylinder's base in my PVC pipe-mount.

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Hole-s10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Sat May 30, 2015 9:20 am

Has there been a test flight on the pipe bomb special yet?
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 Empty Here is a P51 One Screw Wonder

Post  Marleysky Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:24 pm

Here is a dis-assembly of a Testors P51. I call it the One Screw Wonder, because it is held together by only one screw!! Not anywhere near the complexity of a Cox Stutka.  Remove just one screw from the bottom, gently lift the plastic belly pan up and away from the fuse. take a long thin pry bar ( kitchen knife i=or screwdriver) and pry up on the locating pins on the port and starboard wings. Pop them free and continue to twist the belly pan back and forth while pulling back untill the motor pops free of the front cowl. BINGO totally dis assembled. the one piece landing gear assembly is held in place by the single screw that hold the top and bottom together, while the bell crank is held in position on a plastic shaft or pin between the top and bottom. SO easy...even a caveman could do it!!

Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 P51mac10
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 P51mac11
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 P51mac12
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 P51mac13
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 P51mac14
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 P51mac15
Fun with Generic, Non-Threatening Title - Page 2 P51mac16

I tried to get a good picture of the engine mount. The front cowl has a cut out for clearance of the the spring on the rotomatic starter. The engine just rests on the plastic
"formers" and is held in place by the Clamshell of the upper and lower assembly, with openings located for the fuel drop and Needle Valve. This one looks to have been run with the original small amount of  fuel that was packaged with the "FLY-EM" package and then stored away. I cleaned up the engine and it started right up with a few flicks of the starter. Ran a slobery rich tank and the refilled it and needled it up to 12500  RPM
Sat it down( unrestrained ) on the workbench (stooge) and as I was reaching for the camera, she leaned out screaming a DRAMIATIC increase of RPMs and flew off the work bench about 6-8 ft ran out of gas and landed in the weeds!! IT Runs it Flys, but I don't think with the small tank size  that it would last two or three minutes in the air.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next