Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Met up with some flyers Cox_ba12

Met up with some flyers Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 12:18 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Met up with some flyers Empty
Live on Patrol

Met up with some flyers

Go down

Met up with some flyers Empty Met up with some flyers

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:30 am

Well I've had this guy ring me a few times over the past year. Not sure how he got my details, but got the idea that I was wanting to get flying again. Guess he's right in a way. Always turned out I was too busy to meet up with his crew, but after yet another call a couple of days ago I decided to pay them a visit at their monthly flying day today. Nice bunch of guys, all in their 60s and above but really keen to get younger guys (like me at 54) involved. They're not competitive, just like to get together, spin around a few times and talk out the day. They meet in the centre of a horse race track in a nearby town. Nice flat well mown Cricket ground. (Look up the game of cricket- I'm sure Ian knows all about it). Lots of space, no-one anywhere nearby (except for those playing Cricket at the adjoining oval). Wind was up a bit and only the brave ones gave it a shot, but the larger planes coped ok. Smallest plane there was an OS .25 powered "kind-of" Ringmaster, plus a couple of Flight Streaks. The fellas generally use engines ranging from .25 to .51. (Biggest there has a Super Tigre .51). .35 is a popular size and while I have several .35 engines, I have no airframe to suit. They must all use mufflers according to local govt. rules so I guess that rules out any of my 1/2As. They don't seem to have a lot of rules and regulations, just show up & fly. Don't even think they have formal membership, but can arrange independant insurance for a fraction the cost of the stuff our national governing body provides. I think I need to go back some time. Huh...

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Met up with some flyers Empty Re: Met up with some flyers

Post  KariFS Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:15 am

Sounds cool, a bunch of buddies getting together, fly some planes, shoot the breeze... With no memberships, club fees, club President and officer elections and such to worry about. And if they are kind enough to welcome young lads such as yourself to join, finding a bunch like that is like winning the lottery and sounds like the meetings are well worth the drive.

Re Cricket: Any game that is played on a nice lawn, only when the natural light is good and when it doesn't rain and has scheduled 10-40 minute intervals for lunch, tea and drinks, minimal amount of running or sweating involved... Well I'm in lol!

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:06 am

Did any of their engines use "tongue-mufflers"? If you didn't notice any.. ask if they're permitted. If so; that would open up some possibilities for running some old steel-fins with less danger of overheating them. You could surely get a profile-stunter/Fox .35 combo put together in short-order. I know that you're busy Rod.. but it seems to me that these guys would be great fun with minimal stress.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:07 am

What Kari said and Greenie for you for just going to check it out !! Ron i would love to see or hear of you getting behind the handle again after so long . I really hope you can (will ) go for it and have some FUN !! (( All work and NO play makes for a Bad day )) If you ask i bet one of the old boys would sell you or let you get a easy fling big bird in the sky just to give ya some inspiration Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:06 pm

You're right Kari, finding a group like this is a great thing. Hope I can join in some time.
I like your take on cricket. That pretty much wraps it up. I love watching it. I guess others might find it really hard to understand how one game can be played over 5 days (Test match) but there are a lot of variations these days and some of the shorter games can get pretty exciting.

Roddie, no tongue mufflers on site but there was some talk about them being used. The guys seemed to prefer keeping things nice & quiet. Personally, I think most tongue mufflers have such little effect it's not worth it. I guess if it makes you comply with regulations then go ahead and use one. If I end up with a larger airframe I'll probably use my Enya .35, but I'm only used to flying no bigger than .15 size.

Eric, they're the kind of guys who would be happy to lend me a plane just to get me back in. It had better be a tough old rugged one as I don't recall ever actually "landing" a plane. Mind you, I've also never flown over smooth cut grass.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:47 pm

Good heavens Rod, we know what Cricket is. lol!

Get out there and enjoy the comeraderie, build you a light Ringmaster with a muffled .25 FP and see what you are missing. You won't be sorry my friend!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down