Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

RTF flyers  Cox_ba12

RTF flyers  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by OVERLORD Today at 11:43 am

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

RTF flyers  Empty
Live on Patrol

RTF flyers

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RTF flyers  Empty RTF flyers

Post  MMT Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:32 am

Hay,
Thanks Mark for the picture of the Wen Mac Corsair. It's just like mine, although mine has some damage on the fuel tank. The [bleep] on the bottom of the tank where the fuel line goes is broken and needs repair.
My question is, what type of glue will stand up to 1/2a fuel?
MMT
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MMT Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:38 am

Sorry,
Used the wrong word to describe the place on fuel tank where the engine fuel line attaches to tank.
MMT
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

RTF flyers  Empty Re: RTF flyers

Post  SuperDave Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:36 am

Try using epoxy for the tank repair. Rough up the surface of the parts to be bonded before you join them. Gives the expoxy the "tooth" needed to create a firm bond.

(The best solution is to install a replacement tank)
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  MMT Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Thanks SuperDave for the advice on both the tank repair and the fuel issue. The tank repair is a problem. Maybe more trouble than it is worth. Just want to see if the Wen Mac engine will run at this time. As to the fuel issue, at this time, I just want to see if these engines will run. Who knows what problems I will run into.
Again to all, keep the information comming.
Thanks,
MMT
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:20 pm

I'm only doing this in my brain, so it may or may not be a good idea, but you might be able to use a small "Pressure Tap"...normally installed on larger engines for muffle pressure. Your hobby shop may have them. Flush the tank with alcohol and wipe down the outside area of the break. Sand what's left of the old fitting flush, then drill out the old hole just large enough to let the threads get some grab (or carefully thread it with a corresponding tap). You might also grind it a bit so that it only slightly protrudes into the tank.

Clean it all again with alcohol, let it dry, then put some slow CA on the threads of the pressure tap and crank'r in. You might then consider making an "adapter" from silicon tubing that fits the pressure fitting, and is then slid over the harder plastic tubing. This will help keep the repaired area from the trauma of having a tight fitting piece of hard plastic tubing pushed onto it.

Clean it all again before use, and then let'r rip !

Hope this might help! Idle Mind Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:28 pm

Kim,

Good call, the tap would be perfect, problem with glue is by the time you reglue the little plastic fuel vent tube, there wouldn't be much room for fuel tube to slip over. I've used plastic cement on the old stuff with good sucess, but don't know how fuel proof it is.

Last edited by Mark Boesen on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Also, those Testors/Fly'em Pipe Bomb engines are runners! I'd definitely swap out that weird little prop that comes with them, and use one of Bernie's gray 5-3's ! Just one note, you might ought to fly it in a place where you can quickly step out over grass after launch. Your little Corsair might glide nicely (for an RTF) when the engine quits, but that poor Fly 'Em is gonna fall like a rock, and would probably appreciate some padding on it's "arrival" !

RTF flyers  2_59
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Kim,

Good call, the tap would be perfect, problem with glue is by the time you regule the little plastic fuel vent tube, there wouldn't be much room for fuel tube to slip over. I've used plastic cement on the old stuff with good sucess, but don't know how fuel proof it is.

Thanks Mark! My Uncle Wayne repaired his Stuka wing with plastic cement "back in the day", and to my continued astonishment, it's STILL holding ! Also, not to hijack MMT's thread, but thanks again for that WAY-Too-Cool Engine Case that has morphed into "Bad Boy"!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Kim wrote:
Mark Boesen wrote:Kim,

Good call, the tap would be perfect, problem with glue is by the time you regule the little plastic fuel vent tube, there wouldn't be much room for fuel tube to slip over. I've used plastic cement on the old stuff with good sucess, but don't know how fuel proof it is.

Thanks Mark! My Uncle Wayne repaired his Stuka wing with plastic cement "back in the day", and to my continued astonishment, it's STILL holding ! Also, not to hijack MMT's thread, but thanks again for that WAY-Too-Cool Engine Case that has morphed into "Bad Boy"!

add to your thought, a small thin rubber gasket or just plastic cement and cinch 'er down.

yeah, i saw THE BAD BOY, cool!!!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  MMT Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks to all who have replyed with ideas. Keep 'um coming. You people are being a big help. Saw where someone said to pick up parts at the local hobby shop. Wish I could! Hobby shops in my area have appox. 2% stuff for gas airplanes, if that. Don't even know what a RTF plane is! Traveled about 60 miles and 4 "hobby shops" later, just to find fuel.
Guys, remember, I am working with "rocks and sticks" at this time. LOL Hard to find correct parts and supplys.
Keep those post coming, big help! As to "my thread being hi-jecked", high-jack away! I am the one asking for help.
Thanks,
MMT
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:53 am

Hey, you're very welcome!

Sorry, I wasn't aware of the degree of your isolationism !!! If you'd PM me your address, I'll send you one of these pressure taps for cost and postage, plus a bit of silicon tubing. I really think this repair will work...so much so, I'm gonna take a shot at fixing a similarly damaged Stuka fuel tank that I had just replaced with a newer unit. If I do, there shall be photos and bragging for all!

Good Luck with your restorations ! Project Overload Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MMT Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:54 pm

Thanks to Kim for the offer. I accept. Have PM'd you the info you ask for (hope it worked). If not let me know. As to me being "in the sticks", so to speak, that may not be true. It's just that the hobby shops I have been to sell things like beads, arts & crafts and the like. If you ask about gas powered airplanes, they look at you like you are crazy. These are not like hobby shops that I am used to from the old days.
Was glad to find some "friendly faces" here willing to help. Another problem is that I want these engines to run NOW. Please bear with me but times awasting. LOL
Will keep you people posted on my progress.
MMT
P.S. Like one more little "rigging" project before trying to start the Testors P40
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:23 pm

Got it ! The "processing" has begun !!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MMT Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:44 am

Just left eBay again looking for Testors/Wen Mac stuff. Am finding that like my "vintage, classic, collector, etc." cars, have a much inflated price. Guess that is the way it is these days about everything. Sorry, just needed to vent today.
MMT
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:01 am

MMT:

The price of gasoline is now approacing $5/gallon too if that will make you feel any better.

Just think wat the "chaps" in the UK are paying and Smile.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 am

MMT wrote: Just left eBay again looking for Testors/Wen Mac stuff. Am finding that like my "vintage, classic, collector, etc." cars, have a much inflated price. Guess that is the way it is these days about everything. Sorry, just needed to vent today.
MMT

Ebay has a large audience. Collectors, enthusiasts and fanatics are all gunning for the same engines. Since most of our beloved engines are no longer available new people will pay large amounts to get what they want.

Some folks can afford it and some not. The folks that can will pay anything to get what they want. This demand drives up the prices and the sellers are all too happy to bump the prices in their favor. So, it is us the buyers that drive the market. As long as there are people out there that feel money is no object we will continue to see an increase in prices.

On the flipside there are those with more patience like (Super Dave) who will wait for a good deal with a private sale. It takes more time but, the products are sometimes of better quality and priced fairly.

Just my thoughts.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks for the compliment Ron.

It's really old age and treachery combined with patience at work. A perfect trifecta if you will. Smile
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:22 am

SuperDave wrote:Thanks for the compliment Ron.

It's really old age and treachery combined with patience at work. A perfect trifecta if you will. Smile

No problem Dave,

I don't have that kind of patience. I am an Ebayer. I usually find good deals as I am willing to make repairs that the collectors shy away from. I usually only bid on auctions that are hidden. I paid $80 for a .010 in the beginning as I didn't know any better. Never again.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:09 pm

Ron:

At double your age I have the patience to avoid "instant graficiation".

Impetuous I am not. Laughing
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  MMT Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:20 am

Sorry about the price rant yesterday. Guess I had my "grumpy old man hat" on. Wasn't thinking. Have been re-doing "classic" cars for the last 40 years so I have kept up with prices there. What cost me $10 in '71 now cost me $1000 or more these days. Guess I thought I could "play" with these RTF's at olden day prices. Your replys got my head back on stright.
MMT
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:47 am

MMT:

It happens to us "old timers" quite often and the only way around "grumpy" is to focus the things that you truely enjoy is and to realize that they come at a modern price. I too was once passionate about about old cars but the time came that I could no longer enjoy them due to my now limited vision and phyisical mobility. I reluctanty sold my treasured '64 1/2 Mustang convertible in '06 for a handsom price and went back into modeling with the proceeds.

So as life moves on so must you too in accepting modern realities. You'll not bring back "the good old days" when it comes to prices for they are indeed relative to the times. My wife and I live a comfortable but modest retirement lifestyle being able to enjoy our mutual interests as well as our individual hobbies. You may not be so fortuneate possibly but life is about enjoyment no matter how you find it.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:00 am

Although...if you stay on point, you WILL occasionally score a great deal on some stuff. Don't know if it's true about cars and such, but simply having it known locally that you are in the hobby may net you some treasures...at least it has in both my uncle's and my case.

This past summer, I found an old abused, OK Cub .074 in my mailbox at work !!! It was dropped off by a guy in the local club who told them at the counter, "This is for Kim, I know he likes to mess with these things." !!!!!!! MAN !!! It felt like Old School Christmas Morning !

Maybe once word gets around that you're into this stuff...some of it will find it's way to you too.

RTF flyers  1_87
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:39 am

Ah, Kim explains my strategy of "broadcasting" your interest to all who will listen!

Most of my Cox collection has come to me in this manner and most of them as free donations from people that know me personally. Being a social and outgoing person certainly helps. RTF flyers  2887095414
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

RTF flyers  Empty RTF

Post  dankar04 Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:32 pm

Most of my ARF Cox planes were recieved from trading. Ebay had good results with buy now. Don't buy on ebay during the weekend. Prices are allways higher. Another trick is buy a group of engines even if not all Cox. Don't buy rusted broken trash even if cheap. Some dirt/ oil residue is ok. Go to hardware[ACE] and buy a quart of denatured Alcohol it 99% alky. Remove mucho crud and no toxic anti-freeze. Most RC contests have swap meets there. Check out local H/S for adds about contest.
Dan
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MMT Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:15 am

Hi guys, just "scored" a .049 Wen Mac engine for 0.99 plus 10.00 shipping! 11 bucks!! Said to be complete, turns over with compression. Even if it's a "dud" and only good for parts, still think I got a heck of a deal. Now have 3 of these Wen Mac engines. Enough for now I think.
Now to the Teators P40, I have 1 engine (in airplane) 0 spares. Not even sure what version of .049 I have. It may be a "pipe bomb" type. Just know it dosn't look like the Testor .049 engines I'm seeing on eBay. Havn't found photos on the net that look like mine. Anyone out there that can post clear photos of of these engines so I will know what I'm looking at. Would post pictures of mine for I.D., but don't know to do it.
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next