Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Can these be used for glow power?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can these be used for glow power?

Post  NEW222 Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:04 pm

So, as I have never compared the props like this before, I do see some differences. What I do notice is that the DAL prop and the Cox prop appear to be equal at the hub, while the Master Airscrew has a little more 'meat'. Also, the Cox propeller has very pronounced molding cuts on the hub, not as clean cut as the others where taken from the molds.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can these be used for glow power?

Post  roddie Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Here's a comparison between a MA, Cox, DAL and APC

Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Dsc05133
Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Dsc05134
Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Dsc05135

The DAL 5040 props are sold in packages of four (x2 R/H and x2 L/H)

The DAL prop shown above is stamped 5040. It is a R/H propeller. "Not shown" is the L/H propeller which is stamped 5040R. Why "R".. and not "L".. I don't understand.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:42 pm

Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 I66i8710
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:53 pm

Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 20171211

Here's a prop form the old Super Cub 4.5x4 prop, it also has a fairly thin hub to blade area and its posted right on it not for S Bug or T. Hoppers.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:38 am

Mark Boesen wrote:Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 I66i8710

That picture says it all I think, stay safe....

Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:30 am

Well Nuts been running them without a problem !?!? and if you read the product details on the DAL 's it says that there better props than the Gemfan and others .. https://www.dalprops.com/products/5045?variant=15038875523 They also mention tough enough to take crashes and tree limb clipping ? Rudolph But it doesn't say good for IC engines?? while the Gem says that it is Soooo go figure >> I dont care for the Glass filled as i hear there easy breaks , witch tell me too if you get a crack and dont see it after a bad landing then you may bee in for a BAD surprize !! I have had props breck in my hand just trying to start with a S-spring Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:49 pm

I use the HQ carbon/nylon blended speed props 4x4.5 and 5x4.5 able to handle 37k thus far from
all my flying with them no issues.  

With the DAL props I think it's all about the new plastic tech, they are using some tough nylon.
I have not used them as of yet. For .049 use you will be just fine as I have used all nylon HQ 4x4.5
with no issues same sort of plastic tech. Went with the carbon blend in the end because I wanted
a stiffer blade for top end speeds thus far 148 mph with no issues. Rudolph

I have never broke a prop using a spring starter Eric, what brand prop did you use that broke?

Christmas Tree Lighting The Tree Christmas Tree
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:07 pm

getback wrote:Well Nuts been running them without a problem !?!? and if you read the product details on the DAL 's it says that there better props than the Gemfan and others ..

https://www.dalprops.com/products/5045?variant=15038875523  

They also mention tough enough to take crashes and tree limb clipping ? Rudolph But it doesn't say good for IC engines?? while the Gem says that it is Soooo go figure >> I dont care for the Glass filled as i hear there easy breaks , witch tell me too if you get a crack and dont see it after a bad landing then you may bee in for a BAD surprize !! I have had props breck in my hand just trying to start with a S-spring Babe Bee .049  

Which type/# DAL prop(s) are you running Eric? My DAL 5040's weigh barely 2gr./ea. I just checked the balance on one.. and it's damned near perfect. Much more in-balance than any of my other-brand propellers.

It will be interesting to see how these 5040's run. As I mentioned; my intentions for these props were initially for use on .049 sport engines that weren't expected to exceed 13-14K rpm's... like a stock Cox Babe Bee or Golden Bee. Actually.. what I had in mind where Cox .049 product-engine configurations for small 18-22" span C/L models. Airplanes to be flown on sub-35' lines.

I used 3/16" OD x 3/32" ID silicone fuel line to bush the DAL prop's 5mm hub-hole. This seems like the ideal size. It's a simple matter to thread a 5-40 (Cox .049 size) prop-screw into 3/32" tubing.. and the expansion which takes place yields a nice snug fit inside the prop-hub for perfect centering.

Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Bushin10
Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Bushin11
Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Bushin12

A Tee Dee .049 style aluminum spinner fits against the DAL prop-hub beautifully... and provides for maximum streamlining.

Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Bushin13

I did try a "cam-style" starter-spring with one of these props.. but it was the Cox "old-style" for the round drive-plate. Winding back the spring/prop a sensible amount didn't seem to cause any trouble with the prop. These type of springs are "draggy" though.. and I don't really like using them. As I mentioned; the "zero-drag" springs that hook-around the prop.. I wouldn't use on these.

I'll probably use the TD style spinners and my small electric starter to start engines equipped with these props.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:31 am

Which type/# DAL prop(s) are you running Eric? wrote:
I don't have any of the props just making a comparison That 1/2A Nut had been running them . They do look good on that TD spinner !! Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:34 pm

getback wrote:   They do look good on that TD spinner !! Small Cox Logo  

Yea.. I liked that too! The way I see it; if the pitch flattens-out on these DAL 5040 (5d x 4p) props during operation, I wouldn't think that it would drop below 3" of pitch. A 5 x 3 is actually what I prefer to run on a mild/stock-configured reed-valve .049 engine.

The EMAX 2300/2600KV brushless motors that these DAL FPV props are designed for, see shaft-speeds well in excess of 20K rpms depending on the current/amps that the motor is receiving.

Can these be used for glow power? - Page 2 Emax_m10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:47 pm

I have the DAL 5045BN BullNose propellers myself. I chose those as I thought of them more like the Cox safety tipped propellers by the tips of the blades being blunt and not so rounded.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2