Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 Cox_ba12

A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

A Rainy Day Project on the Hill.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 Empty Re: A Rainy Day Project on the Hill.

Post  fredvon4 Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Kim I am sure I have it but save me the time to search...send me your physical address...I have a LOT of SLC I will never use...happy to send you a yard or two

Super Lite Covering..as far as I know Phil Cartier of Core House is exclusive out let...big plus is..the stuff is very durable as well as light and surprisingly low cost

additionally...Bobby Mears in Lubbock Texas has a series of Combat Plane covering techniques using SHRINK plastics like you see on flower baskets and stuff... very lite weight and totally fuel proof...BUT he cheats and builds the wing... then takes the shrink stuff and with a heat sealer/cutter makes a sack to put the wing in...the just shrinks the sucker to be 100% encased

The there is Larry Reneger who suggested Using SLC, Mica Film, or other lite Doculam products OVER heat shrink Polyspan and ZERO dope...saving weight, being fuel proof and built in glossy finish
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 Empty Re: A Rainy Day Project on the Hill.

Post  Kim Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Cool! Will Do!! Thanks !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up It may have been a lot of work/fun involved But the plane is looking GREAT ! Nice techniche i haven't seen this trick before Thank You for the insite Eyebrows Popcorn i like the way you did the silk and sand method on the balsa parts it has been a while since i have done it this way and brings back some good memories And the glory of cleanup Beer Cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm

getback wrote:Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up  It may have been a lot of work/fun involved But the plane is looking GREAT ! Nice techniche i haven't seen this trick before Thank You for the insite Eyebrows Popcorn  i like the way you did the silk and sand method on the balsa parts it has been a while since i have done it this way and brings back some good memories And the glory of cleanup Beer Cheers

Thanks man! The driving force behind all this is the memories (real and sometimes 'augmented'---I can get confused) of prepping for all those ballpark Sundays. My Breezy Hill Buds and the S.M.A.L.L. Fun-Fly crowd give me constant jolts of this stuff with the projects they show up with!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Great project. I hate when I get behind on my forum perusing, but this one was fun. Thanks for the entertainment.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:10 am

Thanks Rusty!

I've also missed entire threads here, and then found them later on.  This has been a fun little diversion that came out of the blue, and I've highly enjoyed the sporadic work sessions toward getting this little plane flying, and ready for Fall S.M.A.L.L.!

It's almost ready to rock now, and the first time in a long time that I finished a plane in a week!   A whole lot fancier than I could build with my 14 year-old hands back in the day, but maybe it'll last a bit longer than those I built in a single evening!

A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 1_29

A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 3_25
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 Empty Hey Kim !!

Post  getback Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:59 am

Just got caught up in reading this adventure again and was wondering how the firebrand flew? Am sure you did at S.M.A.L.L. am sure it in the S.M.A.L.L. adventures but but but ?? Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:31 am

great build Kim! and a week seems really fast to build such a great looking plane. looks like it was born to fly. 🙂👍 I admire your build skills and flying skills. both CL and RC. enjoy flying it. cheers
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:54 pm

Hey Guys,

THANK YOU for the kind words!

The Firebrand turned out great, and is still flying behind it's QZ .049.

As I may have mentioned in a previous note, most guys like to hang a high-powered engine on these wings, but I was going in the opposite direction.  I wanted a quiet, slow flyer that would STILL stay out on its lines for loops and most other moves, just like the first one I saw back in 1969 or so.

The original that I witnessed had a muffled engine which backed down the RPM's, but the Firebrand would still pull off graceful loops and wingovers, with no tendency to roll in.

I made an exception to this when I received Rusty's Traveling Engines, installing the RR-1 on the Firebrand.  Well, it was a whole DIFFERENT deal, and had a bunch of fun blasting it around the front yard.

It now has its QZ back, and I haven't done much front yard flying lately, so maybe I need to get the Firebrand out in the cool Fall air.

A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 1_14
A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 3_12
A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 5_18

A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 20_0110
A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 20_110
A Rainy Day Project on the Hill. - Page 2 21_26
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2