Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tarno carbs arrived Cox_ba12

Tarno carbs arrived Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 11:51 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tarno carbs arrived Empty
Live on Patrol

Tarno carbs arrived

Go down

Tarno carbs arrived Empty Tarno carbs arrived

Post  balogh Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:54 am

I was hesitating whether to post this news about my impudently good luck of winning an ebay bid for the below 3 Tarno carbs at 37USD only. I did not want to boast with it but you will agree this was a chance buy!! (Shipment at 15USD and 27% VAT paid to Hungarian customs, unfortunately, made the cake taste a bit sour, but the price of each still avegares at USD 22 shipped to my door...but this is the surcharge we non-US buyers will have to pay anyway..)

1 is new, the other is moderately used, the third one comes with a broken NV tip stuck in the spray-bar, but an extra NV is also included in the package. I will try to doctor this 3rd one by removing the broken NV tip..

Tarno carbs arrived 3tarno11

I will use all 3 of them on my TD-s, the new one on a "super TD051" I am just building from stock parts like stepped wall tapered No 5 cylinder and piston, plus aftermarket red anodized aluminum carb body, Galbreath head with Nelson turbo plug...I want to make a really well performing TD051 RC engine with low idle and high peak rpm-s....more to come on one of the next EOM competition sites..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Tarno carbs arrived Empty Re: Tarno carbs arrived

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:29 am

I think you did good, balogh, as these carbs are now as rare as hen's teeth. $22 each is a good buy, congrats. Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:39 am

Don't look at it as "boasting" Andras, you just made a good buy.

Posting about it here adds to the overall knowledge of the group.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks GG and Bob for your encouraging words.. I know many people are hunting for Tarno-s and I feel a bit guilty to have won 3 at a time at a low price..in the meantime I had the opportunity to check the one with the broken NV stuck in the spray bar...it seems to have been broken at the threaded neck so whatever is stuck from the NV in the spray-bar is also kept there not just by the solidified castor goo but by the threads too...so it looks rather incorrigible , but will serve as spares.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:45 am

I too find this as an entirely positive news and I am glad you shared it. Nice to know there still are deals to be had Thumbs Up

I don’t know how it is usually with the Hungarian customs office, but here it is a bit of a small-time gamble. I have received about 6 or 7 packages fron the US, and only twice the package has been stopped for customs, and I had to pay the VAT. All the other times the packages have arrived directly in my mailbox or front door and the VAT was avoided Shh

Fortunately no actual customs tariffs need to be paid for ”collectible toys and parts”, otherwise that would also add to the cost, as the VAT is paid also for the tariff, so that would be ”double taxing”.

Looking forward to seeing the Tee Dee .051 R/C Beer Cheers
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:01 am

Kari,

Thanks for the encouragement, and regarding customs, you are lucky...stuff bought from US ebayers should be affixed and sent by seller with correctly filled customs forms, and if the value is higher than about 50USD (inc. shipping cost), it will immediately trigger VAT payment at 27% If the value is higher than about 170 USD then an import tax adds at 2,5% to the VAT.

I often receive things without them going into customs..sometimes because of their low value, or simple oversight by customs and post offices..I could not say the stiff rules are always enforced.

VAT and customs duties are just the financial issue that I could live  with...but because of bureaucracy, these Tarno carbs have been sitting in Hungarian customs since January 31 i.e. near 3 weeks before delivered to my door today! Shipment by USPS from US to the Hungarian customs took less than 10 days ...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:36 pm

That's a heck of a good buy! I got one recently for $40 plus $4 shipping, and I thought that was pretty good. I saw recently (a few days ago) that one sold on eBay for $59 plus shipping!

I'm curious to see how the Tarno stacks up to the Cox TD 05 RC carb. From my brief and very limited use, both seem to have a weak link in the spray bar / needle valve area. I plan to do a side by side comparison and post it later this year when it warms up a bit.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:30 pm

Thanks Dave. Here is my experience:

I love genuine COX parts but must admit the 05 COX RC carb is inferior to the Tarno mainly in its materials. The COX fuel nipple is plastic and tends to break easily. While replacements are available from Matt, it is not cheap. The COX carb is made of rather soft aluminum and the "meat" left around the airbleed and barrel setting screws is weak and the threads are loose and either strip soon or at least go even more untight such that the springs even if pretensed will not save them from shaking loose and getting lost mid-air.

Otherwise they both impact/slightly reduce engine top speed because the stock TD carb with its 3 fine spray holes in the venturi provides much finer atomized fuel droplets in the mixture and thus ensure more efficient fuel burn than with the single point fuel admission through the RC carb spraybar end.

The stock non-RC carb with its screen provides better fuel draw and keeps dirt out of the engine.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:11 pm

That's pretty much exactly what I found too. I busted two of those plastic inlets in three test runs. I guess I probably over-torqued them, but if that's the case, they're really, really fragile, because the second one, I only cranked down only enough to keep it from spinning while running. I made a fuel inlet for the Cox carb out of metal tubing. In an attempt to gain back the lost RPMs, I port-matched the bore in the throttle barrel. It works pretty well with muffler pressure, but the muffler robs a good 1-1.5K rpm, so it's a net wash. The fuel draw is pretty weak with that big bore so pressure is a necessity. Next test is using crankcase pressure without a muffler on both the Sure Start and #4. Interestingly (to me anyway, a lot of you guys probably already know this), a Sure Start cylinder runs about 500 RPM faster than a good two boost port #4 cylinder with muffler and nearly 1K faster than the same setup with a four boost port #4. The plan is to repeat all the tests with the Tarno and post the results and my mods.

Can't wait for those headers and other goodies 1/2ANut's working on. That'll start a whole new round of testing and tuning.

I'm probably reinventing the wheel, but I'm having fun burning fuel and making noise.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down