Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

PT 19, sloppy elevator Cox_ba12

PT 19, sloppy elevator Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

PT 19, sloppy elevator Empty
Live on Patrol

PT 19, sloppy elevator

Go down

Thinking PT 19, sloppy elevator

Post  althepal88 Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:07 pm

I have a PT 19 and the elevator sure seems sloppy.  I know they take a beating, but how loose are they normally?  And, is there a specific size of rubber bands to be used?  Being that I have bashed this one back together by ordering a new engine, etc., is there a specific size prop?  Many thanks.    Al
althepal88
althepal88

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: PT 19, sloppy elevator

Post  Marleysky Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:16 pm

Greetings Al, Welcome to the CEF.
The elevator is supported inside the “tube” created when the vertical stab (tail) is inserted into the fuselage. So, yes that fit can be sloppy. There shouldn’t be a lot of left to right movement, just the rotating up and down of the elevator. If your getting a lot of left/right movement you may have the little cup shaped pieces broken off the tail or rear of the fuse. How is the action when you’ve connected the push rod from the bellcrank to the elevator? It should move up/down quite easily. On mine, with out tension of the string attached to the bellcrank, the elvator does just flop down.
Not sure if there is a recommendation on the rubber bands, small enough to fit the little posts, long enough to go back and forth a couple of times.
If I remember the prop isa 6”. X 3, but let me verify.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:22 pm

Yes, it is a 6” x 3 pitch prop.

PT 19, sloppy elevator 26d2f310
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  althepal88 Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:23 am

Thanks, guys. I just noticed that while I slide the front of the rudder/vert stab in the slot; I neglected to get the rear of the stab in it's slot. Thanks for the info on the prop; it has been a loooong time since I flew one of these.
althepal88
althepal88

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:53 pm

Actually.. the prop is a 6 x 2 "L/H". If you can't source one.. then try to find a 5 x 3 L/H prop. The idea behind the left-hand propeller, is that it torque-rolls the model in a clockwise way (if looking from the rear). This aids in line-tension.. and was purposely designed into the Flight Trainer. The snap/spring-starter was a left-hand unit as well. Remember that the reed-valve engine will run in either direction equally well.. and without harm. My PT-19 is a late 1980's version.. and was designed with NO outboard wingtip-weight..

The airplane will fly with a 6 x 3 R/H prop.. but I would personally search for a left-hand propeller. If a breeze blows-through, you'll have a little more help keeping the lines tight.

Glad that you figured-out the tail-assy. Regarding rubber-bands.. you can find packages of small ones in the hair-care aisle at most stores. Good luck! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:15 pm

I am wondering about this one here. I do agree with all parties here on the fact it is a 6 x 3 RH propeller, as well as a 6 x 2 LH propeller. I personally wonder if at one time they used a LH rotation propeller then at some poing switched to a RH propeller or vise versa? The instruction/parts book posted by Marleysky does truly indicate 6 x 3 RH propeller, as well the picture even looks like it, but I also remember some that used a 6 x 2 LH propeller as indicated by roddie. If the OP could post a picture of the engine, we could verify which propeller they need *IF* there is a spring starter installed. If no spring starter, either could be used.

So, how about a picture althepal88? We all like pictures..... Very Happy
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  althepal88 Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:05 pm

I have a black 6/3 left prop, w/spring starter.  I got the engine from cox engines, Canada, and had to adapt it to the airplanes firewall.  I purchased a new cylinder head that will accommodate a standard size glow plug.  (I can only assume a Hot plug).  I still need to get some sections of fuel line to go from the built in tank to the engine.  Pictures??  Well, as soon as I get one of my grandkids to show me how to do all that stuff, look out.  Thanks for all you guys and your help.  BTW, anyone have a yellow vertical stab???  Al
althepal88
althepal88

Back to top Go down

Thinking Cox PT-19 propellers

Post  roddie Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:13 pm

Hey Al, I think that "NEW222" (Chancey) is correct about some of the PT-19 models having 6 x 3 right-hand propellers. I think that it's safe to say that the "earlier" generation models had the right-hand propellers. The 1st-generation PT-19 Flight-Trainer was designed to use the Cox .049 Babe Bee engine with its' integral fuel tank.

You've mentioned your model having an external fuel tank.. but also needing to adapt the engine from "Cox International" to your models' firewall. I'm trying to figure out the configuration that you have.

You also ask if anyone has a "yellow" vertical-stab. A yellow "replacement" part would indicate an older model.. but I'm not sure by how much.

Just an "FYI".. The genuine Cox glow-heads are superior to the conversion-heads which use standard-1/4"-32 glow-plugs. Watch the eBay.. for Cox parts-engines which include glow-heads. If all else is junk.. the glow-heads are usually salvageable.. and they're not cheap to buy new.

As "Chancey" mentioned; photos will really help us to figure-out what you have.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:22 pm

Again, without pictures roddie, I am just going on assumption of this being a latter version and presumably that Al had put in an engine with horseshoe backplate. As well, if you take a look at the picture posted earlier, you can see a fuel line in the top center corner, then look that part number up in the bottom left corner, (last number) it does indicate 'fuel line' in the description amongst other things. Part number 5773. I like a good ol' little mystery! Very Happy We'll get this figured out and help get him back on track one way or another.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  althepal88 Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:37 am

I had to put the engine to the horseshoe backing plate that was oem when I got the a/c......the current vert stab is blue; just wanted to get a yellow one to match my friends 30% rc PT-19.
althepal88
althepal88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down