Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Evening Cruising with the Butterfly Cox_ba12

Evening Cruising with the Butterfly Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sherline lathe wont run
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:15 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by 706jim Today at 8:13 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Today at 5:59 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:26 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:43 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Evening Cruising with the Butterfly Empty
Live on Patrol

Evening Cruising with the Butterfly

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Evening Cruising with the Butterfly Empty Evening Cruising with the Butterfly

Post  Kim Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:31 am

Caught a rare evening when the air was dead calm AND I was home to take advantage of it.  So, I sent the Butterfly motoglider out around the hill for a few laps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4y9F3nEkzk&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0RRUmOlYbfS6KIAorizqXRUzOKVQsId1yu-v3M5mSD-A4vNmektvA2-hM

Last edited by Kim on Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Evening Cruising with the Butterfly Empty Re: Evening Cruising with the Butterfly

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:15 am

This reminds me of the documentary Aerial America. That's just too cool Kim.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Evening Cruising with the Butterfly Empty Re: Evening Cruising with the Butterfly

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:42 am

Ken Cook wrote:       This reminds me of the documentary Aerial America. That's just too cool Kim.

I can make that connection Ken. Smithsonian channel, they did my home state of New Hampshire a couple of weeks ago. Just watched the Dakotas. Hooked on them, Air Disasters too. Gripping and very realistically done. Learned a lot from both.

Enjoyed the video Kim, what was the power, some sort of OS?

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:44 am

Beautiful flight vid, Kim. What engine do you have on this bird? I liked its stable idle
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:35 pm

Thanks Guys!

It's engine is an O.S. .25FP, which REALLY hauls the plane at full power, but gives a sleepy cruise at less than quarter throttle. It has a 6 ounce fuel tank and, sometimes---just for the heck of it---I'm gonna try to fly all the fuel out of it to get an idea of it's endurance...thinking a half hour or more.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Beautiful man i love the takeoffs front and rear , that engine does put out the power ! Love the sound too Very Happy tHanks for sharing ! RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:27 pm

Kim wrote:Thanks Guys!  

It's engine is an O.S. .25FP, which REALLY hauls the plane at full power, but gives a sleepy cruise at less than quarter throttle.  It has a 6 ounce fuel tank and, sometimes---just for the heck of it---I'm gonna try to fly all the fuel out of it to get an idea of it's endurance...thinking a half hour or more.

I thought so Kim, got one sitting on the nose of my F4U model.  

Evening Cruising with the Butterfly P1010073

The extent of my OS inventory including a Wolf in sheep's clothing.   Had more but gave some away.  One to Ken as a prize winner. A darn good engine that rivals and many times exceeds the best of my Enyas.

Evening Cruising with the Butterfly P6290010
Evening Cruising with the Butterfly P6290011
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:00 pm

Smooth.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:31 pm

Love watching you fly Kim. You are very good at it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:04 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Love watching you fly Kim. You are very good at it.

Thanks Ron !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:48 pm

What a great evening to fly! Gotta take it when you can get it.
Cool old story. My nextdoor neighbor built a Dynaflyte Butterfly when I was younger. He had Four daughters and a wife. We were good balsa buddys. When he completed the plane, he loaded his family in the station wagon and invited me to join them on the trip out to his parents farm to fly the plane. Neither of us had the funds for RC, so he’d built the butterfly as a free flight, assuming there’s plenty of room to fly at the farm. The girls got out of the car, ran up to the house while Harry and I fired up the 049 on the nose of the plane. He got the engine tuned in and let her go! Tossed her right off the tailgate of the station wagon, Flew straight and true. Right into the side of the barn! BLAM, balsa sticks everwhere! Harry turns to me and slowly says “ Guess we should have started on the other side of the barn” lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:03 am

Kim, you freak me out every time I see you thread your way around those power lines. Affraid or WOW!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:21 am

Marleysky wrote:What a great evening to fly! Gotta take it when you can get it.
Cool old story. My nextdoor neighbor built a Dynaflyte Butterfly when I was younger. He had Four daughters and a wife. We were good balsa buddys. When he completed the plane, he loaded his family in the station wagon and invited me to join them on the trip out to his parents farm to fly the plane. Neither of us had the funds for RC, so he’d built the butterfly as a free flight, assuming there’s plenty of room to fly at the farm. The girls got out of the car, ran up to the house while Harry and I fired up the 049 on the nose of the plane. He got the engine tuned in and let her go! Tossed her right off the tailgate of the station wagon, Flew straight and true. Right into the side of the barn! BLAM, balsa sticks everwhere!  Harry turns to me and slowly says “ Guess we should have started on the other side of the barn” lol!

Oh Man!!! Tragic and funny at the same time. Harry seems to have had the proper attitude though!!!

My flying buddy back in the day was able to buy a used EK Logitrol "Champion" radio (seemed like a TON of money). Out of the blue, he suddenly decided that it was a good idea to fly his Kadet with the transmitter's antenna collapsed! It drove me crazy to see him put this un-called-for "Death Wish" on a plane when we were barely able to keep control with everything right...but it was his plane and radio.

Luckily, he got glitched with a pitch-up in a turn out in front of us, that scared him enough to make him grab the antenna and haul it out to full length. Figured out later that he'd seen magazine photos of guys flying with short antennas on the HAM Band, but hadn't read the included article! "Hillbilly's Flying Model Planes"!!!

We had several other weird incidences that seem crazy now, but at the time, appeared to be reasonable ideas.

I'm happily STILL in the "Weird Zone" but manage to have a good time being here!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:36 am

[quote="Oldenginerod"]Kim, you freak me out every time I see you thread your way around those power lines. Affraid or WOW! [/quote

Yeah...seems like there have ALWAYS been powerlines in my life!  In the 20 years that I've lived here, I've managed not to get a plane crossways on them...which would be bad for me AND my neighbors in the subdivision across the valley.

The recent addition of fiber optic service has added a THIRD lower wire, tightening up my escape route for an engine failure/stutter on takeoff.  But, you work with what you got.  

I keep buying lottery tickets, for that fantasy shack way out in the boonies, but still no joy !  You all will know I hit it big when you stop hearing from me as Kim, only to have the forum acquire a new member by the name of: Rauol Whatanobby !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:46 am

awesome video Kim
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:49 am

akjgardner wrote:awesome video Kim

Thank You!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:12 am

not one of my better mornings this week.........this video put enough smile on my mug to drool a little....had Renie watch it second ti with me....she get it and me......thamks Kim
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:18 am

fredvon4 wrote:not one of my better mornings this week.........this video put enough smile on my mug to drool a little....had Renie watch it second ti with me....she get it and me......thamks Kim

Fred, I've been thinking about you, and truly hope you get some improvement. Please take care, and know you're in my thoughts.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:27 pm

Wow!! What an obstacle course -- fences, roads, trees, wires, houses.  Ya done good, boy!!  Your videos are always great to watch and the landings exciting.

Yesterday was calm on this side of the creek, too, and several of us went to the field after our Saturday breakfast.  One of the guys had found the fuselage and engine of a well used COX .049 Cardinal at the local Peddler's Mall and added a foam wing from the LHS (The fit was, "That looks about right.").  After a little fiddling with the rebuilt engine, I tossed and he got in three nice flights.  It was good to see the old and new technology flying together. Since there are only two of us who fly any 1/2A at all, the appearance of a small nitro plane is always welcomed at our club.

Our strip is adjacent to a full size grass strip so, we are closer to the trees on one side -- one tree in particular has consumed several planes over time.  The full size strip has the requisite red/white checker board markers on either side, so we have to clear them before landing.  One of the other guys had a giant scale Extra 300 that he had finished after some 20 years on the shop shelf -- really beautiful plane and it flew just as well.  On his second approach, he centered one of markers, knocking the entire front end off the fuselage and turning the marker almost 90 degrees.  He was sick to say the least.  Sadly, due to the age of the kit, parts and cowl are no longer available. Murphy's Law: If it can get in the way, it will.

The Paducah Charity Fly-in is scheduled for July 20th and will be a one day event.  I'll try to attach their flyer, so we'll see how that goes -- thought you might find it of interest.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f73/18/70/91/09/update10.jpg

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:43 pm

andrew wrote:

The Paducah Charity Fly-in is scheduled for July 20th and will be a one day event.  I'll try to attach their flyer, so we'll see how that goes -- thought you might find it of interest.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f73/18/70/91/09/update10.jpg

andrew

Hey Andrew!

Great to hear from you!! Yes, things can get a little tight on the hill...depending on the plane. At least with the throttle on the Butterfly, I can abort an approach if things go wrong. Over the years, I've memorized where everything is in the yard and can usually "feel" things going wrong before I smack something.

The B.O.T.'s and others, with their deadstick approaches, aren't as flexible, though a too-high attempt can usually be turned out over the west pasture, and chucked in the hay. Too low...and it's the cow fence or dirt bank...

Still, had my share of impacts of varying intensities over the years, and am gonna eventually collect some footage for a "Kim's Greatest Hits" video.

Glad the little castor slingers can still stir up things at your club!!!! AND tragic to hear of the Extra 300....yep, if given the slightest opportunity, the suckers seem to love smacking anything that can hurt them the most!

Thanks for the head's up on the Paducah Charity Fly! Got it in my book and copied to the Breezy Hill Facebook Page! I'm looking to be there, and maybe we can hit some food there or McDonalds again...what's it been???--ten years???
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:24 pm

Is the butterfly the big brother to an airplane called ... piece O cake ?
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:30 pm

We need to get 1/2A Nut and some of his dentist drills over to Kim's place for a little practice.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:50 pm

Yep -- it's been close to 10 years, maybe a little less, but not by much. There are several of us old f@rts that make most of a day of it there, at least until nap time. If the creek don't rise (anymore, that is), I plan to show up. I'll shoot you a PM as the time nears.

They've had some pretty good vittles there as of late, so we can find plenty to partake.

a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:31 pm

akjgardner wrote:Is the butterfly the big brother to an airplane called ... piece O cake ?

Yep!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:32 pm

ticomareado wrote:We need to get 1/2A Nut and some of his dentist drills over to Kim's place for a little practice.

Yeah Man!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next