Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Worst CL evening ever. Cox_ba12

Worst CL evening ever. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by getback Today at 2:32 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Worst CL evening ever. Empty
Live on Patrol

Worst CL evening ever.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Worst CL evening ever. Empty Worst CL evening ever.

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:30 pm

I have been having so many good experiences I was due for a bad one. And boy was it ever.

My first mistake was to even make my way to the field.......

I showed up and flew my Baby Clown and was showing off my new skills and it all went well so I set the plane off to the side and helped my flying buddy start up his hyper viper. Well when he took off his prop caught my lines and sucked them into the engine. We ended up cutting my lines to free thing up. Since I have no spare lines with me that ends my 1/2A for the evening. So after the Hyper Viper I took the Ringmaster up. Well was set rich and would not keep tension. It kept coming in and looping on it's own it was so bad that I brought it in real low to try and shut the engine off. I caught the prop on the grass but it flipped the plane on it's back and it slid on the concrete. Wore down my vertixal stab and my cockpit. I had enough.

So flying buddy takes the hyper viper back up and I decided to video it. I couldn't see enough so I stepped back a couple paces and right onto my Baby Clown. Totally flattened the wing.

Buddy feels bad and says "hey fly my plane" I should have said no, but instead I decided to crash his twice. No harm done to his. He also had a full size Nobler that I did fly and managed to keep it in the air.

So feeling reborn, I hooked up the Ring and sure enough as soon as it lifts off the lines go slack. Across the circle it goes, and when they caught I managed to give enoungh up to plant it hard on the concrete on the landing gear. This time I ripped open the wingtip flattened my gear and busted my prop. (Sorry Ken)

I am at a loss I had such a good flight last time and now I feel like I have gone way backwards I broke everything today and walked away feeling awful.

Oh, and I lost my line reel clip.......

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Worst CL evening ever. Empty Re: Worst CL evening ever.

Post  pkrankow Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:19 pm

Loosing the line clip is the real [bleep]. Wings can be fixed. New spectra lines are mere minutes of effort. Breaking friends planes costs beer. The clip is gonna be a burr the longest.

Bad day man.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:22 pm

I have had days like that. Sorry to here of your evening. Sad The good news, you can get another line reel clip. Smile Keep your chin up bud. Sad Goodbye
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:26 pm

Lol, yeah the line clip is the least of my worries. I still can't figure out what went wrong. Nothing changed on the plane from Tuesday when it was flown last and it flew like a dream. Everything was still straight and nothing was binding. It had a mind of it's own. The thing was doing loops on it's own and flying wherever it felt like. Sure the engine was rich, but should it do that under power? Going into the wind was where the lines went slack. On the other side of the circle lines would tighten up and all was well. It was pretty darn scary. So scary that I had to try and kill it as if the engine shut down on the wrong side of the circle I was afraid it would come in.

I am actually afraid to take it up again.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:39 pm

But, it WAS fun. We were able to fly this 1/2A "stunt" plane I made. I would like to have the C/L flying skills he does, but all I have is nice flat circles, and an occasional loop. Well, it goes around, and puts a twist in the lines! If I had a real C/L engine on the Nobler, I would like to see you give it a work-out!

Tomorrow, I'm gonna drag him to the RC field, and see what we can do there.

And, I told him it's too bad so few people here (Wichita) are enthusiastic about CL, and that Mike , Lou and I are the only ones who come out to fly. There should have been a better reception for a visitor.

Oh, the engines look fantastic! I'll put them on something!

I hope the weather stays nice.
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:04 am

Thanks Doug,

The QRC should serve you well, I set both of them up for RC so just pop them on your next build and go flying! That little black tab is to open up the muffler to prime the exhaust port and once running you can close it off.

Even though only a few of the Wichihawks show up I have still learned plenty and have enjoyed my time thoroughly. Today was a minor setback and I will be ready to go again next Tuesday.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:58 am

Ron, I feel for you. My most recent ‘bad day’ crash happened in the middle of the night while I was minding my own business sound asleep in my own bed.
A Lazy Bee (my favorite oldie) was hanging from the ceiling in the bedroom when the rubber band holding the wing exceeded it’s service life. The clatter of the falling wing woke my wife with a:
‘What was that?’
‘What was what’?
‘That noise.’
‘I didn’t hear any noise.’
‘Check it out’.
The next noise was a slicking crunch from my full weight stepping on my Lazy Bee’s wing.
Ah S***!!
al
Big Al
Big Al
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:19 am

I've always worried about my clumsy ass stepping on one of my planes while they're all on the ground at the field. Or worse, stepping on someone else's plane.
I don't know what could've been wrong with the Ring. I've never had a plane do an involuntary loop. Sounds like the power was down for some reason.

Welcome to CEF, GUS THE I.A.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:51 am

Ron, those are the days you will always remember and one day you'll certainly laugh about it. As for the line clips. I tie red or yellow ribbons to mine. It allows me to find them due to me throwing them in my pit box. As for the Ring, a Ring isn't a Ring without road rash. Nothing is unrepairable when it comes to the plane. When Shawn made a decision to gear more towards combat I was certainly on board When I entered into that side I saw all kinds of equipment and was completely fascinated. But , just like motorcycling, I always enjoyed my small bikes more compared to my large bikes. It's the simplicity that drives the hobby. Cox engines did that for me early on in the hobby and still has my attention captured regardless of performance. One of our combat flyers/instructors always tells us, "Don't buy anything expensive and use what you can buy off the shelf." That prop being Master Airscrew may not be available at local hobby shops, but it's available through Tower Hobbies in deals of 6. By far the best prop I ever used on the Ringmaster which is the MA 9.5x6.

Another thing is that I don't care to fly other planes built by others. Some people go south real quick if one goes in. Yesterday I saw a perfect example when a flap horn which was old break right at the pivot. The plane went in and received the typical broken prop which resulted in the blade going through the wing. The gear folded back and so forth. It's all repairable but the owner was a bit twisted sister. If I hand a plane to another pilot, I realize the consequences if something does happen. Things just happen. I'm just curious as to why your plane flew across the circle. Did the wind blow it in on takeoff? Did the lines grab a weed on the ground prior to takeoff? Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:24 am

RON ! Sorry to hear ! On some days, Fate just lines up and freight-train's a guy !!!

Hope your Ring goes back together quickly. I don't see how in creation the engine could be the problem. If it runs slow, the plane will just fly slow...something had to be going on with the control system. Please get that sucker back on line dude!

Hope also that the Clown is fixable. I'm pretty good at accepting crash damage, but it the cases of "Static Destruction" do cause me to hear my heartbeat in my ears!

As a kid, growing up in a very small house with four younger siblings, my gear was ALWAYS at risk. To this day still, the most horrendous event (I still get ticked-off thinking about it) was when my youngest brother fell, full-body, across the beautiful Sterling "Flying Fool" that Wayne had built for me. Could explain why I now live a happy life, alone on a hill out in the country !
Worst CL evening ever. Waynes12

Hope your fleet is back in full force shortly !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:33 am

I recall a day at the flying field, a public park, when a group of us had a our planes lined up on the ground with lines extended. A German Shepard came troting by for a look and became entangled in the lines of one plane then was so terrified he became entangled in another until five planes were ripped apart including mine.

At this time the pilots and spectators were shouting and even more dogs appeared to join the melee. The dog was injured by the steel cables lines which left bleeding lacerations on the dog's legs. Then the dog's owner appeared demanding that we pilots pay the vet bill.

I remined the owner than dogs in a park were required to be on a leash and under the control of the owner. The owner then called the cops to intervene then the "fun" began before the City Council which then prohibited flying models in public parks as a "public safety" risk.

This was many years ago and the policy is still in place in public parks in our area. Sad Goodbye

SD

Last edited by SuperDave on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:14 am

I don' remember all the awful and sad days at the fying fields, but I do remember they all end with " I don't know what happened, it just! Cant Resist The Bunn ".
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:37 pm

SuperDave wrote:I recall a day at the flying field, a public park, when a group of us had a our planes lined up on the ground with lines extended. A German Shepard came troting by for a look and became entangled in the lines of one plane then was so terrified he became entangled in another until five planes were ripped apart including mine.

At this time the pilots and spectators were shouting and even more dogs appeared to join the melee. The dog was injured by the steel cables lines which left bleeding lacerations on the dog's legs. Then the dog's owner appeared demanding that we pilots pay the vet bill.

I remined the owner than dogs in a park were required to be on a leash and under the control of the owner. The owner then called the cops to intervene then the "fun" began before the City Council which then prohibited flying models in public parks as a "public safety" risk.

This was many years ago and the policy is still in place in public parks in our area. Sad Goodbye

SD

Goodnight Dave, talk about a knee jerk reaction. What a shame.

The Ring is all cleaned up and ready to roll. With the Clown I was able to remove the wing covering underneath and fix the Ribs and LE/TE. Just need to recover and it will be fine too. Things always look better the next day.

Thanks for the support guys!!!!!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:02 pm

Wow, I got [bleep]ed! (glad my humor was appreciated too)

The wild roller coaster is likely one of 2 conditions. Tail heavy being the more likely. Wallowed out oval holes around the control rod the other.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Phil,

Sorry you got bleeped the "B" word is a no no lol!

I did find your post humorous.

Not sure if you followed my resto thread, but this Ring was a complete resto of a real early Sterling kit. Everything for the control system was replaced with new. Prior to this event the Ring was looping, inverted, 8's and wingovers with ease. So tail heavy it's not.

I will check the control horn if that was what you were referring to. What I was experiencing was total loss of control when the Ring went into the wind. My only guess was a really rich run. I did my maiden in 20mph gusts without issue. I am totally confused on this one.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:33 pm

Make sure the elevator isn't cracked around where the control horn is fastened. Check that the leadout wire isn't bent or kinked inside the wing and maybe trying to spring back and loop itself behind the bellcrank. I don't know how it would have gotten like that, just throwing out ideas. Have you got a locknut on your elevator clevis? Vibrations can destroy the threads and make it slip if it isn't held tight by a nut.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:05 pm

RknRusty wrote:Make sure the elevator isn't cracked around where the control horn is fastened. Check that the leadout wire isn't bent or kinked inside the wing and maybe trying to spring back and loop itself behind the bellcrank. I don't know how it would have gotten like that, just throwing out ideas. Have you got a locknut on your elevator clevis? Vibrations can destroy the threads and make it slip if it isn't held tight by a nut.

Rusty,

Not sure how to tell if the leadouts are looped over the bellcrank. I do know that they pull smooth and travel as is it always was. I am using the original Sterling control rod that is bent at a 90 with a spring clip holding it onto the control horn. All as it should be. I think since I am running with no rudder offset that it can't handle a rich run. Although when the engine shut off previous it glided fine so something must be up.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:11 pm

Big Al wrote:Ron, I feel for you. My most recent ‘bad day’ crash happened in the middle of the night while I was minding my own business sound asleep in my own bed.
A Lazy Bee (my favorite oldie) was hanging from the ceiling in the bedroom when the rubber band holding the wing exceeded it’s service life. The clatter of the falling wing woke my wife with a:
‘What was that?’
‘What was what’?
‘That noise.’
‘I didn’t hear any noise.’
‘Check it out’.
The next noise was a slicking
crunch from my full weight stepping on my Lazy Bee’s wing.
Ah S***!!
al

You sleep as hard as I do. Very Happy
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:39 am

Is there enough tip weight in the outboard wing? Always a possibility. A little more is certainly not going to have that dramatic of an affect. Tape some coins to the wing and see if that improves. Rudder offset isn't going to radically assist you on take off. Are you using wheel collars to hold your wheels on? Bind up the outboard wheel slightly to cause a little drag it will also assist you on landing by causing it to steer out of the circle. Another issue I've had was using tail skids, they would inherently get caught on something on the ground and would cause to the plane to do funny business. I use only tail wheel with the wire bent to also assist in steering outboard of the circle. Taking a few steps back would also help as the plane is rising off of the ground until you can figure out what may be causing this dilemma.Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:24 am

That's just it. It's not doing it when I take off it's doing it when I am airborne. 1/2 lap has good tension the other half is a scary roller coaster.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:38 am

Although we are talking - many, many and many more years ago - the last time this sort of tension loss happened to me, I discovered that the wing had warped/twisted and caused an aileron type sideways movement.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:24 am

Okay... I'll chime in! Well, after having witnessed Ron's difficulty the other night, it was my turn, tonight.

I launched Mike's Jr. Ringmaster a couple of times, then he MADE me fly it. My first take-off bobbled a few feet over the runway, and I doinked it in, breaking the prop. Retrieved the plane, refueled and started, had a decent flight. So... get out the Nobler!

I started with longer lines this time, 65 or 68 feet. The plane is the ARF version, flies nice, but still an ARF. The Nobler is powered with a Thunder Tiger .42 R/C engine, wired to full throttle position on the carb, hence, the longer lines. Started the engine, Mike launched for me, nice smooth take-off, good pull, steady engine, several times around- LET'S LOOP! Usually I get a tighter loop, because I am scared of the ground coming up to smite my planes, but this time, the loop would not tighten! The plane starts coming down the back side of the "maneuver" and I'm thinking: "Now would be a good time to use some down elevator to keep from whacking the concrete!" Well, it didn't work. the plane just barely made it to level attitude-inverted-before it "pancaked" onto the runway. Oh it gets "funnier"! The plane carried enough speed and inertia, to slide, grind, scuff and chew for 1/4 of the way around the circle, wheels-up. Shock, horror, disbelief. Oh, but can you just picture a guy holding a handle, watching his "dead" plane scoot around the circle, getting thinner and thinner? And Noblers have a fairly tall profile.

Here's what happened: Stupid ARF hardware! The elevator clevis pin became un-peened, or swaged, from the clevis. No amount of little fuel tubing will hold an un-pinned clevis to an elevator horn! That's just poor quality hardware. I think this plane had only 15 flights on it. Guess who's getting a letter?
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:35 am

Doug,

Sorry I missed it. lol!

The damage looks repairable. Except for the bald patch on the pilots head. That you should keep as a reminder. Your avatar is a good before picture!

I hope Top Flite makes good on the issue.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:04 am

Well, count me in too! Second outing with my new/old Ringmaster, and having a Big Time. One more flight before wrapping up on a chilly, but calm afternoon, and had the engine croak right at the worst time....coming toward the top of an outside loop that was supposed to turn into a wingover. The plane rolled in as I ran backwards. I was even being a good boy and flying over half concrete / half grass, but the Ring chose the concrete!

The engine/nose area took the brunt, saving the wing except for shock-tears in the silkspan. So, already got the wing patched, and will rebuild the nose later today.

Thumbing my nose at the Gods of Crash, I got home in time to do some frontyard laps with my old Combat Kitten, with it's "sorta Golden Bee" actually behaving...maybe for fear of my general tone...

Slap-the-Dragon Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:42 am

The "true confessions" are HILARIOUS and totally believeable! lol!

SD

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next