Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 Cox_ba12

And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by MauricioB Today at 4:50 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 Empty
Live on Patrol

And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2

Go down

And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 Empty And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2

Post  dirk gently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:35 am

Hi guys,

here's my new project. It's quite an unusual airplane to build a model of, even more so than the previous one.
I googled it and was only able to find one flying model of this particular machine (and it was an electric foamie).
Guesses are welcome Smile

And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 20190913
And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 20190915
And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 20190914

It will be PeeWee-powered, 22'' wingspan, trying to make it under 130g.

Last edited by dirk gently on Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 Empty Re: And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:43 am

From the wheel pants, it's got to be a Miles Falcon. (or similar)
And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 1280px10
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 Empty Re: And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2

Post  dirk gently Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:50 am

Great guess! I love the Miles aicraft with the "wheel pants", as I call them, especially the single-seated version of the Hawk Major. Just lok at this gorgeous beast:
And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 104624_big

Unfortunately, the guess is not correct Very Happy It's a military airplane that I'm building.

Last edited by dirk gently on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:13 am

Thats sweet , even if not correct , an sure your will come out nice too ! 3-4 channel ? RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:33 am

It will be 2 channel, bank and yank. I'm all for simplicity (at least, that's the official version, sounds better than "I'm a lazy b*stard").
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:24 am

I've made some progress. It was my first attempt at painting camo with an airbrush (actually, it was my first attempt at using an airbrush altogether, wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of my skilled wife). There's some overspray that I will need to clean up, but don't be too hard on me, I'm a noob at this. It sure beats doing camo using a rattlecan!

And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 20190916
And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 20190918
And now for something completely different - Martin Baker MB-2 20190917

If anyone still cares to guess what it is, here's a tip:
The full-scale was built in late 30's, prototype only. It was powered by an air-cooled inline engine, and the first version didn't have any vertical stab or rudder - the end of the fuselage would just tip sideways for yaw control, an idea which proved ineffective during trials.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:30 pm

OK, so this obscure little plane is the Martin-Baker MB-2:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin-Baker_MB_2

I got to fly it last weekend, even though it's not quite finished - doesn't have the rosettes or the canopy framing.

The engine run was very uneven, guess I need to take it apart and clean it. It was flying really well during the short bursts of good engine performance though. It came in at around 135g.

You may notice that, like the full scale, the model has next to no dihedral - the top of the wing is flat when viewed from the front. I was wondering how can that work and then it dawned on me - this plane is aerodynamically (but not structurally) a mid-wing, thanks to the huge wheel pants. This gives some much needed roll-yaw coupling.

BTW, I'm not sure why sometimes Youtube processes my videos ito 480p at most, and sometimes to 720p. All my videos are rendered to 1024p. If anyone has any hints about this, they would be most welcome.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:08 pm

Why do your HD video's get reformatted in low quality by Youtube?
The video is presented in lower resolution because of your slow internet connection.
YouTube values speed over quality, so it will automatically adjust videos at a lower
quality to eliminate buffering.

There are times in the day when your internet speeds are higher, generally late at
night when there are less local user online / server demands. That is a good time for
you to upload to youtube to avoid your video upload being automated to a lower resolution.

I try to avoid peak user time on youtube as well when more video's are being uploaded
onto their servers. Make sure that no other web pages are open during this time to avoid
lag. Insure that no other CPU processes are active during your upload.

Use a washer and a bit of fuel tubing to reduce the chance of air leaks at the needle valve.

Small Cox Logo RC Plane Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:15 pm

I have a perfectly good broadband internet connection, and can easily stream multiple HD videos at a time at any time of day. The issue is not buffering, it's that the only resolutions I can select are up to 480p. I read some more on the internet and it turns out that's how the initial processing on YT works. After several hours the video starts to be available in HD.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:00 pm

Only shows your vid in 480P in America, just checked.
How many hours has it been since you uploaded it?
Mine go straight to 1080P / 1440P / 2160P depending which camera setting I used.\

Going through your vids the 8 that I looked at only 1 was 1080

This one shows 1080P did you upload during the day?

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:17 am

It's a compressed video format. It's not possible for it to be uploaded in a different resolution than it was on my computer. You have to upload the entire file in full resolution, so that it can be uncompressed on the server and rendered again in a lower resolution. It's not like you can just pick every second byte of the file or whatever, the data would no longer make any sense.

Having said that, I will check what is the difference in the way I created the one video that is actually showing in 1080p on YT, maybe I rendered it differently, or maybe I just took the raw video straight from my phone without going through OpenShot video editor.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:08 am

Ahhh bet that's it you do have a preference setting for 1080P
Hope that works for you!

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:55 am

Interesting post DG, but when I first saw Martin Baker I immediately thought "Ejection seat" as they are also famous for that invention.  

In the Navy my rate (Training Devices Technician) was responsible for the operation and maintenance of all Training Devices including the Martin Baker ejection seat trainer a device that has saved the lives of many pilots over the years.

Relevant stuff starts about three minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFAw76CIcq8

"Pilot ejects, plane lands itself"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsAgLf9gPtA

Our trainer was a slightly smaller version than the factories, but the ignition system used the same principle.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:11 am

Ah, yes, the "Delta Dart Glider" story, one of my favs. We have a similar story in Polish aviation with the R.XIII
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lublin_R-XIII

I was surprised when I saw MB-2, 3 and 5 were airplanes, whereas MB-1 was an ejection seat Very Happy
Awesome stuff.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down