Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start Cox_ba12

How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:42 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:14 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by roddie Yesterday at 3:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 2:24 pm

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 2:23 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:54 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:52 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start Empty
Live on Patrol

How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start

Go down

How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start Empty How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start

Post  barun Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:17 pm

Cox, 049 sure start fitted on a brodak basic trainer. 049 - how to fit thevwedge shaped fuel tank and where to place it... Kindly guide with a picture
barun
barun
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start Empty Re: How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start

Post  Ken Cook Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:26 pm

Prior to mounting the tank, do yourself a favor and insure it has no leaks by pressurizing the tank with a large syringe. As with any tank on a profile model, place the tank as close to the engine as you can possibly mount it. On the wedge tank, the pickup tube exits out the front of the tank. You want to keep the elevation of this nipple at the centerline of the crankcase. I prefer to use nylon cable ties when installing these tanks. I usually glue a small strips of plywood on the top and bottom of the fuse to prevent the cable ties from digging in. Rubber bands can also be use. I have also used self sticking Velcro on the tank and the fuse followed with either method above I mentioned.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start Empty Re: How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start

Post  NEW222 Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:34 pm

Here is a picture of a 1/2a model with SureStart engine and wedge tank I found online. Same idea, different plane.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/2a-dusty-rtf-control-line-airplane-1724750480

How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start 2a-dus10
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:24 pm

As close as possible to the engine, with the "horizontal" center of the tank centered on the spraybar/venturi. This one wound up a smidge low, but that is because the engine was installed upright, and the venturi is above the centerline of the crankshaft:How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start Img_2215
How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start Img_2216
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Ahh...the P-40 I so liked...RIP!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:48 pm

So I looked up the Brodak basic trainer and from what I can tell it doesn’t really lend itself to an external mounted tank. However, if you only plan on going around in circles then mounting it above or below the wing will work. Far from ideal, but it should draw fuel well enough. The problem comes in when you start to stunt or go inverted (read Kens post) That plane isn’t really designed for that although it could do probably do a large loop.

Once you have enough posts go ahead and provide a picture of what you are working with.

Welcome to the forum.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:59 pm

I think that one was designed for a tanked Bee!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  barun Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:25 am

Dear all members - thank you very much for the quick response that solved my problem. One request, what is the runtime of cox. 049 sure start with 1/8 oz ( 3.14 cc) wedge tank? Pls...
barun
barun
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:19 am

I will be interested to see how you go with that plane. I built one myself years ago, but typically of me, I've never flown it. I fitted a Babe Bee with 5cc tank. Others will have a better idea than me, but a 1/8 oz tank will probably struggle to give you two minutes run time. I'm pretty sure they estimate two minutes on a 5cc Bee tank, three minutes on an 8cc tank.

It may be possible to set the wedge tank back into the leading edge of the wing a little if space is your problem.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:22 am

The Brodak mount is universal in that it accepts integral tanked Bee engines and horseshoe production backplates.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:47 am

barun
I see member early 2018 so low post count...perhaps lurking for a while I assume
Do an intro post with a bit of bio, general location, interests, stuff you have, stuff you want to acquire some day

This site has many benevolent members

Some of us suspect your plane may be easier to tame with a tanked bee....golden bee or black widow when you get froggy,,,,grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  barun Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:25 am

Dear all thanks a lot for all the valuable help/ posts. I really appreciate all of yours suggestions.
barun
barun
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  barun Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:26 am

Dear all thanks a lot for all the valuable help/ posts. I really appreciate all of yours suggestions.
barun
barun
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

barun
barun
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

barun
barun
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:01 am

I have accidentally done this artificial post count increase...tongue in cheek ...big grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  barun Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:23 pm

Hello, thanks for your valuable suggestions. I have fitted one Brodak cl fuel tank of 23 cc capacity , hopefully it will give me 9 minutes of flying time. With fingers crossed, I will try to test it in 2 to 3 days of time.
barun
barun
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:17 pm

barun wrote:Hello, thanks for your valuable suggestions. I have fitted one Brodak cl fuel tank of 23 cc capacity , hopefully it will  give me 9 minutes of flying time. With fingers crossed, I will try to test it in 2 to 3 days of time.

9 minutes is an awefully long time to spin around in a circle. Do you have flying experience? Best to start out on the first few flights with just a couple of minutes fuel on-board. Then build up little by little.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 pm

Hi Barun, Brodak might stock a short (length) standard wedge in 1/4 oz. capacity which equates to 7.4cc's. This size is just under the capacity of the Cox Golden Bee/Black-Widow .049 engines with 8cc integral fuel-tanks. For comparison; the Cox Babe Bee has a 5cc integral tank.

This photo shows my engine configured with the needle-knob "horizontal" and oriented 180 degrees to the engine's cylinder. It's just one way it can be done. The needle is somewhat protected, in the event of a crash.. and the fuel-line can be kept short as possible.

How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start 20190830
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  barun Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:35 am

I am using 60% methanol, 20% nitro, 20% castrol oil.
I have fitted one square type fuel tank I have got from cox international , SKU no : TANK 506 : will it work on control line model... Now I am at a loss : some one told me that only wedge shaped fuel tank works on a control line model
barun
barun
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  barun Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:47 pm

The Square Tank I have purchased from Brodakvand Brodak claims that this square fuel tank is for CL plane.
barun
barun
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:55 pm

While it will work, it is not the best as you will not use all the fuel put in it, allowing short run times. Without seeing it, it may be a uniflow tank, and having a pressire line would make it a lot better. A wedge tank is preferred as the centrifical force when flying will put the fuel to the outermost part of the tank (the wedge), and in a wedge tank, the pickup is in the wedge near the rear corner, allowing to use all the fuel up.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  barun Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:02 am

Respected all ; with all your great undaunted support, my problem of fuel tank got resolved : I have COX wedge tank, sku :TANK 502, capacity : 11 cc ; I will put 5 cc of fuel to start with and fly
barun
barun
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  barun Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:47 am

How and where to fit the external wedge fuel tank to cox. 049 sure start Img_2014

Finally the 11 cc wedge fuel tank is fitted today
barun
barun
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down