Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   Cox_ba12

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by rdw777 Today at 6:13 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 6:09 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 5:58 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   Empty
Live on Patrol

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   Empty So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:10 pm

Can't go out, can't spend my Grand children's money that the government is sending me.

So I got up early cranked up the chain saw and limbed a tree that the pine bark beetle had laid low. Just one of about 40 on my property alone. Then mowed the lawn in front of the shed when the mower started smoking, (First lawn mow of the season) smoke poring from the muffler where mice made a nest over the winter. Got to deal with that. Lunch and started adding couplers to my growing fleet of Varney belt drive locomotives.

Get up tomorrow and do it all over again. Hopefully we will all do our part to defeat this thing.

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   P1010228
So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   P1010229
So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   P1010230

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   P1010231

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   Empty Re: So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?

Post  NEW222 Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:14 pm

I hear you Bob. Then mice are very good at building nests in the most inconvenient places to us.

For me here, it is finishing up things on my Ultra Stick. Speaking of, I guess I better update that thread later....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   Empty Re: So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?

Post  Ken Cook Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:20 pm

I fixed the exhaust fan in the bathroom, painted my dining room and completed the floor . As much as I want to go down and do modeling activities, I'm taking advantage of this. Painting the foyer and onto the upstairs.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  smooth_bill Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:39 pm

Sheltering with my youngest Daughter and her family.

No tasks of any kind required, and only weekly visits to pick up mail and forgotten meds, etc.

Catching up on my reading and missed TV.

Bill
smooth_bill
smooth_bill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:29 pm

Cleared brush, mowed first time this season, turned garden, burned more brush, put VW back together (balljoints), teleworked, built outside food bin for goats, moved VW out of shop and put truck in to pull out engine.

I have lots to do and like Ken I am taking advantage of it.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:50 pm

Where I work is deemed essential. Finished medical and aerospace products are needed. Haven't missed a day of work yet. I wish I had a few weeks off.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:02 pm

Was thinking about getting mowers running today...but thats as far as that got! No mowing around here for awhile anyway...snow in the forecast again.   Been doing that at least once a week! Thunderstoms early this AM! Did get 2 of my stored classics running though! 66° today!....upper 30's by the end of the week! ☹
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:28 pm

take care of my family my litle boy do model rc cars tested my tee dee .020 powered f1 rc cars just simple ting of life make me happy cleaning drive way change tire on 2 toyota suv🍺 take care al of u cef member stay home Good Idea
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:38 am

Jason_WI wrote:Where I work is deemed essential. Finished medical and aerospace products are needed. Haven't missed a day of work yet. I wish I had a few weeks off.

I was thinking something similar. Keeping vehicles safe and running is seen as an essential service here, so I've been as busy as always. Can't see that lasting though, as customers' money starts to run out. Kind of thought it would be nice to take a forced break and get some stuff done around here. Spoke to my accountant today and she tells me that if I see a 30%+ drop in income this quarter then the govt. will pay me a weekly compensation of around $750. I think I can engineer a drop in income no problems at all. Eyebrows

(No disrespect to those hit hard by all this)
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:59 am

I am teleworking but spend the weekends with long overdue homework. Pruned trees and bushes in garden and did 1st mowing this year. Repaired garden sprinkling and dripping pipework. Painted garden table and armchair set. Cleaned garage and discarded some useless items stored since long ago. Removed leanders planted in large pots, wintering in the garage, to the garden.Took my Honda Grom (MSX 125) motorcycle to the Honda shop to have it officially inspected and its plate registration renewed for 2 more years. And of course went to the field for flying in solitude..although with this Covid19 thing limiting people's other activities, more people come to the field in families to spend time there in the beautiful spring sunshine, and thus my flight opportunities are severely curtailed.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Basswood Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:18 am

Well I haven't been doing a lot other than testing my new engines on my new test stand outside. but I'm sure my neighbors may be wondering why I keep taking my new weed eater engine back into the house rather than just putting into the shed and never seem to use it in the yard.?

Basswood
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:48 am

Basswood wrote:Well I haven't been doing a lot other than testing my new engines on my new test stand outside. but I'm sure my neighbors may be wondering why I keep taking my new weed eater engine back into the house rather than just putting into the shed and never seem to use it in the yard.?

Basswood

Luckily I have a detached garage where I do the engine whining, not triggering too much anxiety from across the fence with neighbors. I also refurbished 2 of my 5 red postage stamp back-plate COX 049 reedies. One had a new No 2 cylinder which I swapped with a No 1, relatively new thin wall cylinder I surprisingly found in my parts bin. Then I bench tested it and the difference in output was found amazing.

Another one had its piston crown slightly mushroomed following a too enthusiastic ball-joint resetting and became tight in its cylinder. Again, I resorted to my magical parts bin and conjured a relatively new piston that went into this engine.

Now I have a fleet of 5 of these 190 series magnificent critters, all with the powerful No 1 cylinders, and am just waiting for the Goldberg mount remakes from Jason to appear in Bernie's webshop.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Basswood Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:48 am

balogh
I'm waiting for those new aluminum mounting plates. Very Happy
Basswood
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Basswood Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:07 am

But seriously, get or make a mask and stay out of public as much as possible. I've been doing this for almost 5 weeks, I saw it coming. and I'm having a lot of fun at home.
Basswood.
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:14 am

Thanks Basswood, I am avoiding mingling with people except the times we are allowed to go and do shopping, i.e. before and after the time window allocated to folks of 65+years of age, i.e. before 9am and after 12 noon. Otherwise, even if out in the field, I normally do not have anyone nearer  than 100 meters. With more people now in the field spending their free time there with families, I do not even fly as often, not just because of social distancing, but not wanting to disturb anyone with my noisy COX birds either.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:45 am

I been working up that garden land for this year , got some Tomatoes started inside trind to get Peppers hot/cool going , they are stubborn and need warmth Hot Got most the yard mowed had to do some matiantence on the Scag Tiger Cub .. Sprayed for bugs outside with some grass killer mixed in Very Happy Had to work on one my chainsaws (minor) Watching for deals on the bay? Just missed out on one https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIANT-COX-ENGINE-BLOW-OUT-SALE-Lot-of-9-/143569077813?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=QwPks5wj5P%252Bpjqco141od8yEw5A%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc Really hate i missed this one (like i need more) lol! But am pretty sure 1-2 of those are .09s Waiting on my N95 backup mask to show and the Cox order that was in print last time i checked /// Starting to look out for more TP down to 5 roll ups now Drinking alot of coffee and playing Marvel Contest of Champions !! I am about to get one my old timed engines ready for a test run after finally finding some 70w motor oil .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:56 am

We are a busy bunch here, I expected nothing less. It's nice that we have a hobby in common that we can turn to in these depressing times.

I'm planning on building a Walt Musciano Zipper taking cues from Kim along the way. I have also become absorbed with Varney belt drive locomotives sort of like I did with Cox Mercedes tether cars only at a fraction of the cost. I just added these three ebay last night at $23 that should keep me busy for the duration of this thing.

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   Varney19
So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   Varney20
So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   P1010234
So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   P1010236

All eventually will get media blasted, painted, and decaled with my road name Va Line. Va Line simply because I had a bunch of Valvoline decals and just cut lvo out of the middle.

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   P1010235
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:07 am

Here is something to blow your minds

my wife is a quilter with a LOT of machines.....by definition has a very large assortment of fabric

additionally we hire in two ladies with kids who lost jobs...one cleans one paints

the cleaning lady aske Renie if she had any fabric and a sewing machine she could work for

so curious I asked...come to find out in our area homemade masks are 10 bucks each

there are no sewing machines to be bought and every walMart sewing section has no more bolts of ANY fabric to buy

my wife and her girlfriend have made over 500 masks to donate local nursing homes and the soup kitchen type efforts

I thoughT excessive buying was nuts...but EVERY SINGLE BOLT OF CLOTH FROM 14 WALMARTS AND HOBBY LOBBY....DAMN!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:44 am

I hear you Fred Damn $10 They had an attical in the paper how to make ur own at home for T shirts . The girl at food lion told me yesterday that people are lined up to get in the store at 7;00 am to buy TD when it hits the shelf , but she said SAME people are there every Wed. and buy 2 or more packs ?!?!? I still don't get it and don't think the people buying it do either Doh! Back To Topic Nice Trains you got there Bob and the price is right , does that one with the drive shaft repair run by rubber and drive the front wheels to ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 am

All you have to do is turn your underwear inside out and VOILA!!! it even has it's own built in elastic.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:47 am

Good on your wife and GF Fred. I haven't been in Walmart for weeks, but often shop the fabric isle for things useful in my hobbies. It was always packed with bolts of this and that. Amazing that it could be sold out. I have a N95 mask that I use for media blasting and dust, mostly sawdust protection. Black on the outside and white on the inside, but I have a new replacement. I would feel guilty wearing it out in public.

Went over to my daughters this morning to pick up some lent bar oil for my chain saw. First time I have been on the road in sunlight in weeks. Torrential winds and rain last night and the roads were swept clean. Forrest wet with dew and the grass is green. Beautiful morning here in WV.

The top locomotive Eric is coiled spring belt drive, the bottom is simple gears. The center is a B unit minus wheels, but has parts that I need. Most of these that I buy do not run when I get them. Corrupted commutators on the armature mostly but also dirty wheels and brushes. Actually much more complicated than the Cox Mercedes to restore, but more fun too. Two recent ones were converted to Flywheels that tend to dampen variations in the electric motors allowing more realistic movements.

Varneys are cheap. The name doesn't have the appeal of say Rivarossi, Rapido, Atlas, Athearn and others. But they are ancient by model railroad standards and have heavy die cast bodies (mostly) with Pittman motors and diverse drive mechanisms.

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   P1010237
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:32 am

Ken Cook wrote:         All you have to do is turn your underwear inside out and VOILA!!! it even has it's own built in elastic.

Even with the 6ft social distance that mask will make your breath smell like , like
Underware  !!  
Shamrock Shamrock lol!

Last edited by Marleysky on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed smell.)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   Empty so-how-are-you-spending-your-covid-19-stay-at-home-social-distancing-days

Post  Eddy Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:00 pm

Try as I might just can't post pictures here yet. But, I love fly fishing, and have been tying up a few new flies lately, so when I can get out, when ever that is now. Here in Michigan, we are now in house arrest till May 1st, was hoping April 15th, we might finally get out. We have a flying field here, I sure do miss the guys and the smell of castor, I guess we'll just have to keep waiting, sigh.
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:12 pm

remodeling spare bathroom. moving 26 ton of landscape stone with wheelbarrow. ( with help from my Son). working on Shoestring project . staining back deck, Playing Guitar, Drinking Whisky. Taking naps
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:15 pm

Ken Cook wrote:         All you have to do is turn your underwear inside out and VOILA!!! it even has it's own built in elastic.

Reality is funnier than fiction:

So, how are you spending your Covid-19 stay at home social distancing days?   36238010
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next