Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

TDs Ready to Fly Cox_ba12

TDs Ready to Fly Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

TDs Ready to Fly Empty
Live on Patrol

TDs Ready to Fly

Go down

TDs Ready to Fly Empty TDs Ready to Fly

Post  Yabby Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:07 am

Finally after lots and lots of changes, experiments, and reading and trying lots of things. Some as per common wisdom, some as per Yabby thinking lets find out, I have a brace of planes matched up with Yabby special 049 TDs ready to fly tomorrow. Much of what you see in the photo below will probably horrify most, but thats kind of how I roll. Lol.  I like finding out stuff for myself. I build my own planes of my own design from scratch and have built/configured 049 TDs to suit my needs and that of the planes I wish to fly. cheers

TDs Ready to Fly Yabby_10

The planes fly quite fast and maneuver like a combat plane. They are made from 2.5mm and 2mm balsa so dont weigh much. Built a couple of this design and have been modifying it for a couple of weeks now to get it just how I want it. Glides nicely when the engine cuts, when hand launched can be hand launched vertically by just letting go of it whilst pointing straight up and it climbs away nicely. Can loop in 4 to 5 foot circle, wingovers beutifully and easily and is not what I would call twitchy to fly. Flys really well on windy days due to the speed and little profile. Been flying it on 35 foot dacron lines. Going to fly them tomorrow on 42 foot 10lb spider wire type wire fishing line, to give them a bit more sky to fly in. Tomorrows focus is flying inverted and getting there from both loops and wingovers. Been a very long time lol. used to be easy, not so now. HaHaHa. Will also try some inside loops if all my planes arent crashed as I come to the end of the session. :-)

Really happy with my TDs!!! for a long time I didnt think I could get them working the way I wanted and needed, but have now found a configuration of parts that works very very well for the way I want and like to fly. :-) They start so easy and are sort of quiet with the muffler and am getting more revs out of them than I need, so Im flying them on a very conservative needle. Man, they eat fuel on pressure!! glad ive started mixing my own fuel! :-) but its great to set the needle and start flying and have it just run solid which ever way its pointing.

If I come home with four crashed planes but have some good inverted flight back under my belt I will be very happy. cheers The planes only take me about 3 hours to build and prepare and cost very little to build.

And there are a couple of planes maybe not in the photo with surestart engines on them that just run fantastic. My lad will fly those. And if I havent wrecked all the others towards the end, Ill get him to fly one of mine and see how he goes. :-)

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

TDs Ready to Fly Empty Re: TDs Ready to Fly

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:43 pm

Yabby has gone wild, Yabby is going to be dizzy, Yabby will have some fun!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:06 pm

This sounds like FUN! I hope that the two of you get some good flights in! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:48 am

Went great! We had a fantastic afternoon. I did find different ways to crash some planes, but they have all been repaired tonight and are ready to fly tomorrow weather permitting. The TDs performed amazingly!!! cheers Pressure is awesome for constant revs, pointing up, pointing down, looping, inverted, they just rev the same which is awesome. Clapping Hand Shake Flying

My 42 foot spectra lines were fantastic to fly with and I have absolutely no doubt they will fly 50 ft spectra which I have put together and fly tomorrow. The longer lines give soooo much more sky to fly in and try to find some of the skills and maneuvers I could once do with ease. The planes never lose tension and come back at me which is great. And they are certainly fast Lol. but I guess when you build from mostly 2mm and some 2.5mm balsa and keep the size down and are careful with glue, paint etc, it makes a big difference. Funnily enough they are still quite strong, ive finally built a design that works very well for my flying style and what I enjoy. I think I might need to stay with going inverted off the top of loops rather from just past the top of wingovers. Very Happy

The good thing with the TDs is they are very light for their power output. The surestarts are quite a bit heavier and I think it make a difference. My surestarts are slightly modded and rev very close to my TDs although I run my TDs on a conservative needle around 20K RPM. I can get my modded surestarts almost but not quite to 20K RPM but they are never as consistent a flight as my TDs. Typical Reedie. Lol. There are only two good ways to aspirate a two stroke. Rotary valve effectively what a TD has and direct Piston ported. Direct Piston ported makes awesome violent horsepower probably not suitable for model engines but was great for two stroke GP Race bikes for those that could handle one Lol.

didnt get dizzy, but lots of wingovers and loops helped with that. running long 1 and 1/2 oz tanks which makes for a good flight time. The TD certainly eats fuel when running on pressure but its worth every cent. the exciting thing is there is no warning when it is going to run out of fuel. due to the pressure being so constant there is no lean run at the end, its just runs normal and then stops. Fortunately the plane glides well and is fairly easy to recover from the motor stopping pretty well any where.

At some stage I will post my plane design and also the specs for my unconventional TD's that work so easily even for beginners. Same with my slightly unusual Surestart setup that revs very very well and starts so easily. The mods are easy very simple but probably not conventional and not in line with standard wisdom. Ill keep working them and when Im very confident I will post the specs. I know the revs I can get out of both, but its not worth the hassle at the moment. Lol. Anyway as I said I needle them both back and can still fly 42 ft lines and Im sure 50 ft lines.

My best ever day sport flying without flying combat!!!! For once it all came together, my own plane design, my own brewed fuel, my own unusual engine mods, and 42 foot spectra lines.

Yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:56 am

At some stage I will post my plane design and also the specs for my unconventional TD's that work so easily even for beginner

Include pictures of your pressure setup too, i would like to see how you did it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:53 am

Clapping Clapping Clapping Sounds like a Fun day of fling with less crashing and starting to get back into the swing on things Beers Look forward to the tutors on engines and planes . Hand Shake
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down