Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one?  Check the hook. Cox_ba12

OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one?  Check the hook. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by rsv1cox Today at 5:07 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by getback Today at 3:25 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 3:23 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one?  Check the hook. Empty
Live on Patrol

OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one? Check the hook.

Go down

OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one?  Check the hook. Empty Re: OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one? Check the hook.

Post  Kim Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:27 am

Ay, caramba!

I'm certainly no one to judge wild impulse buys, but someone must have a deep emotional attachment to this particular plane (another area where, "I'm no one to judge!).

I DO have a mild attraction to these because of their appearance as background drug store items in some episodes of the Andy Griffith Show.

Much like my beloved Aracobras/King Cobras and Stukas, I have to wonder how many kids actually pulled off a successful missile/bombing run back in the day.

Got a feeling that this one is pretty safe from any future combat action.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one?  Check the hook. Empty Re: OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one? Check the hook.

Post  Marleysky Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:15 pm

WOWSER! That's a lotta cabbage for a "fixed and repaired" model. Nicely done, looks great in the pictures and should provide someone with happy memories of their youth.  At least the seller gave a accurate description of the repairs made to make it look presentable.
Yeah, I saw your post on the BD-5, saw it on E-bay too. Just not emotionally attracted to it to make a comment!! Kinda like the Star Wars X-wing or Naboo fighters, they just don't feel like they belong, but someone still loves 'em.

Now, here's one I drove 1/2hr on slippery roads to pick-up:
OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one?  Check the hook. Scree118OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one?  Check the hook. Scree119

OH,yeah.....High Impact plastic....watch it explode into pieces upon impact!!!
OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one?  Check the hook. Scree120

Last edited by Marleysky on Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addn picture)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:56 pm

[quote="Marleysky"]WOWSER! That's a lotta cabbage for a "fixed and repaired" model. Nicely done, looks great in the pictures and should provide someone with happy memories of their youth.  At least the seller gave a accurate description of the repairs made to make it look presentable.
Yeah, I saw your post on the BD-5, saw it on E-bay too. Just not emotionally attracted to it to make a comment!! Kinda like the Star Wars X-wing or Naboo fighters, they just don't feel like they belong, but someone still loves 'em.

Now, here's one I drove 1/2hr on slippery roads to pick-up:
/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty sure I would have made the same drive Rene.  Does the engine have the P-40 stamp?  

I remember when the BD-5 came out in kit form.  Wanted one bad!!!  Decision time - restore a 1959 Corvette or build a BD-5.  At the time I only had a carport so the Corvette won out.  Had no pilots license anyway.  

OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one?  Check the hook. Bd-5_f10

Kim would have a ball with it.  Install servos fly it around, test it out, land and get in and fly.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:32 pm

I have a local airport within 30 minutes from here. The museum is a helicopter museum. In October they have what they call Rotorfest. The museum featured a fly in which included movie prop airplanes. I was able to see the BD-5 used in James Bond Octopussy. I also saw the small home built autogyro "Little Nellie" featured in "You Only Live Twice". Both were presented flying not static. I find it ironic that the Aston Martin is the DB-5 and the Jet was the BD-5.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:50 pm

Ken Cook wrote:        I have a local airport within 30 minutes from here. The museum is a helicopter museum. In October they have what they call Rotorfest. The museum featured a fly in which included movie prop airplanes. I was able to see the BD-5 used in James Bond  Octopussy. I also saw the small home built autogyro "Little Nellie" featured in "You Only Live Twice". Both were presented flying not static. I find it ironic that the Aston Martin is the DB-5 and the Jet was the BD-5.

I never put that together Ken. Love those Bond movies.

Tippi Hedren drove a DB-2 in "The Birds". Not sure which one I like best. Ah....the nod goes to Tippi. Smile

OK, so my ebay Testors BD-5 laid an egg, so how about this one?  Check the hook. Tippi_10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:20 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Pretty sure I would have made the same drive Rene.  Does the engine have the P-40 stamp?  
[/quote]

No unfortunately it has a #1 cylinder.  Not certain, but I believe the P-40 stamped cylinders were  on the first issue models with the inverted engine.

PS: HEY I just received my 2nd Issue of Air Classics,  Yeah Thanks! lots of good reading in them!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:45 pm

Marleysky wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:

No unfortunately it has a #1 cylinder.  Not certain, but I believe the P-40 stamped cylinders were  on the first issue models with the inverted engine.

PS: HEY I just received my 2nd Issue of Air Classics,  Yeah Thanks! lots of good reading in them! [/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's great.  Chancey hasn't received even his first issue yet. I have sent them an email checking on it.  roddie got his February issue yesterday, got mine today.  Takes me about a month to read the whole thing.  But.....I only read while having breakfast.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:52 pm

Marleysky wrote:

I suspect that the #1 cylinder porting and the P-40 porting are about the same. Can anyone confirm?  The first run P-40, as Rene has mentioned, probably came out before the Black Widow, so needed a special production cylinder, but maybe the Black Widow porting carried over to the later version.  Huh...
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:12 pm

Copied and pasted from the info on Cylinder Identification:

1- Used on early Black Widow and 290-291 series engines. 2 bypass, sub-piston induction, some cylinders had milled top fins and some older ones didn't.

P-40 -Used on the "Super Bee" .049 engine, came on the ready-to-fly P-40 planes 1959 through 1961. 2 bypass, sub-piston induction, top fin not milled.

so, based on that expert information..they are the same!!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:30 pm

I agree that someone had wanted the Raider. Also, a nice score on the P-40.

On the other note, yep, still waiting for the first magazine here.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down