Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 Cox_ba12

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 Empty
Live on Patrol

WANTED running tips for the RR-1

Go down

Wanted WANTED running tips for the RR-1

Post  r39o Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:51 pm

So I got me a couple of RR-1s and you what I want to do.....

They are your typical used versions and it is time to bring them to life.

I am tired of just looking at the little engines.

It is time they become "The little engine that could."

So beyond the typical cleaning and tuneup, what pearls of wisdom will the Cox Engine Brain Trust pass on????

I ran a SEARCH and, as usual, it is not strong for me on this topic.

In fact, I got nada when I tried various combinations of RR-1.

What do I need to know beyond what the user guide tells me???????
r39o
r39o
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Wanted Re: WANTED running tips for the RR-1

Post  pman1111 Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:03 pm

On the L/H side of this page is an Info section which includes engine manual downloads, I believe the RR-1 is included there Shocked
pman1111
pman1111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:09 pm

Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:05 pm

One thing I have found that helps with search is click on Google instead of Inside then Go.
I have had trouble with Inside search lately.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=&as_oq=RR-1&as_sitesearch=www.coxengineforum.com
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:40 pm

According to that article in the June 1959 Flying Models magazine, the RR-1 had respectable power. It is showing 0.092 BHP at 18,000 RPM:

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 Cox_th10

This is on high nitro Cox fuel (25 or 30%?). In contrast, the Golden Bee put out 0.062 BHP at 14,000 RPM on 15% nitro. cheers  Beer Cheers  drunken

Hijacked
Interestingly enough, two decades later, the Bill Netzeband designed Testor's 8000 reed valve engine produced the same BHP at 18,000 RPM on 15% nitro fuel.

Testors 8000 Engine Review by Peter G.F. Chinn, April 1978 MAN:
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Testors%208000.html

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 2020-041

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 2020-042
So, I guess if the Cox RR-1 is out of reach cost wise,  eBay
then opt for a good Testor's 8000 engine. lol!

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 Goldbe18
Goldberg Swordsman 18 with Testor's 8000 engine.
Back To Topic
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:16 am

Don't break it especially the rotor in the back that is turned by the crank or you will have a display model in short order . There i am going to say impossible to get with out purchasing another engine Sad Have you tore the engines down to see what you got ? Use appropriate fuel 25-35% Nitro 20 % castor and the right prop not to overload will help and don't just let it scream on the bench if you do that run . Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:58 pm

An interesting original sport design posted in Oct. 1958 Flying Models Magazine is based on using two RR-1's in a push-pull configuration.

Outerzone: 54" Tandem Bomber (oz3386)

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 338610

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 338611

Today if I were to build, would probably consider decorating as a Canadian Bombardier in fire fighting colors, used to dump copious quantities of water to douse forest fires. It resembles that type of plane. Also, if rudder only using today's radios, I'd extend the moveable rudder to the top, doubling its area for stunts. A bit out of the unusual plus larger, it would be an attention setter wherever flown, including S.M.A.L.L. in Arkansas.

And, if one showed up at a flying field especially with two RR-1's mounted, given their rarity as hen's teeth

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 Hens_t11
would be an extremely rare sight to behold. Damn! This Site Rocks!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:04 pm

I have an old book with that plan on the back of it Very Happy

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 01131f10
WANTED running tips for the RR-1 Eed13810
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:07 pm

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 S-l16021
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dragnse7en Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:01 am

Hello everyone

I recently picked up an RR-1 on eBay. It looks like a solid motor, and I decided to restore it to use as a runner since it's used. It's got great compression for its age, and I started it and he engine fired up nicely but it would not stay running for very long. It turned out that the bottom area of the backplate/ fuel bowl seal was damaged. I used a spare fuel tank gasket from the oversized Tee Dee .020 red aluminum tank to fix that issue, and it did the trick - bye bye leaking tank.

I have a big question - What kind of run time should I expect to see out of the RR-1? I know that it looks like a regular 8cc tank, but it's not and carries a bit less, so please don't be lazy and reply with "same as a Golden Bee" because they are not the same engines performance-wise. Also I'm using Cox's high compression glow head.
dragnse7en
dragnse7en
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:52 am

Here is about everything you will want to know about the RR-1 , but about the run time your best bet is to set it up the way your going to run it and test it that way . Sorry but i have ran one but didn't time it and will matter as far as what application you use it in >>> https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7879-early-rr-1 Small Cox Logo Very Happy Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:59 am

Rusty had his running well, he talks about run time. Looks like about a minute and a half.

crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:36 pm

I would bet that Rusty's RR-1 was running pretty economically on fuel due to the muffler. Because he was flying in the church lot, he was concerned in regards to noise. I did indeed fly that Lil Satan, I just don't recall the run time.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:04 pm

Looking at the RR-1 tank, looks very 8 cc like. A photo of a prototype late 1970's R/C Bee engine showed an adapted RR-1 valve system mounted in proximity of the reed valve system in the front of the tank, which replaced it on the production version. It looked very compact, able to fit in the confines of the reed valve system.

Gauging by that, it most likely has the same capacity of the 8 cc reed valve tank, but I could be wrong.

Since consumption numbers are depended upon a number of factors, if you want real numbers, why not bench mount the engine, put a recommended prop that won't overspeed or underspeed and stress it, tach it and time it? I think that will give you the information for use in your particular situation.
Popcorn Very Happy

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dragnse7en Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:14 pm

getback wrote:Here is about everything you will want to know about the RR-1 , but about the run time your best bet is to set it up the way your going to run it and test it that way . Sorry but i have ran one but didn't time it and will matter as far as what application you use it in >>> https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7879-early-rr-1  Small Cox Logo Very Happy Small Cox Logo

Thank you kindly for the link. When did you have your RR-1? How long did you have it?
dragnse7en
dragnse7en
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:54 am

OH I still have it but have not ran it in a pretty good while , seems i have had it 7-8 yrs. Your welcome for the link it is one of the better one on the RR-1 , yeah you don't want to stress this engine out on a bench run ,could possibly break the rotary in it and very hard part to come buy  WANTED running tips for the RR-1 Screen99 from this thread check out Ian's RR-1 collection (makes me sick) LMAO coxengineforum.com/t7847-cox-rr1-anybody
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:54 am

Thanks for sharing, Eric. @Ian1954 certainly has a sense of humor, like you said. Friends/Meeting

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7847-cox-rr1-anybody#99066
ian1954 on Feb 15, 2015 wrote:However - BEWARE (A warning from a previous posting!) The RR1 is certainly a popular engine but I wouldn't describe it as "rare". They breed like rabbits and can be stressful to manage. [...] However, remember to separate them quickly before you are overrun.
WANTED running tips for the RR-1 Rr1_0013

Also be ruthless - some of them don't turn out quite right!
WANTED running tips for the RR-1 Rr1_0014
He let a Golden Bee squeak by!  Shocked  Very Happy

A dozen RR-1's, wow! How does a wife live with such a guy? It's like with me and my saxes!

WANTED running tips for the RR-1 2022-111
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:59 am

I too have a RR with the ribbed crankcase and tank. Though I respect it as an antique engine, I slso find it vulnerable because of the tiny drive pin that either wears off more quickly than the rest of the rotating parts, or is lost when you disassemble the engine Very Happy
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dragnse7en Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:03 pm

balogh wrote:I too have a RR with the ribbed crankcase and tank. Though I respect it as an antique engine, I slso find it vulnerable because of the tiny drive pin that either wears off more quickly than the rest of the rotating parts, or is lost when you disassemble the engine Very Happy

Wow - thanks! I probably bought the last valve disk as a spare from EX model immediately after I won the auction.

And by the way - that drive pin doesn't come off on mine; it's one piece and part of the crankshaft on mine, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

???
dragnse7en
dragnse7en
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:58 pm

I need to disassemble mine to check again..I was under the impression the pin was a separate part..but maybe my memory does not serve me right.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:14 am

Yea if the pin comes out its broken cause thats on the crankshaft and extended to catch the rotor see pics^^^^ there Pumpkin
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Wanted RR1 rear rotor part.

Post  aeroland Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:07 pm

getback wrote:Don't break it especially the rotor in the back that is turned by the crank or you will have a display model in short order . There i am going to say impossible to get with out purchasing another engine Sad  Have you tore the engines down to see what you got ? Use appropriate fuel 25-35% Nitro  20 % castor and the right prop not to overload will help and don't just let it scream on the bench if you do that run . Small Cox Logo

Some years back I bought an RR1 and on dismantling to clean and check - no rear rotor! So borrowed an RR1 and made a rotor from silver steel (drill rod blank material in the USA) hardened and lapped to precise size in the front end of the tank. Have the part drawn and tooling still so could make one if required.

Under test my RR1 was quite powerful but curiously had a tendency to back fire and throw off the prop. No longer have it as it got sold to help fund a move.
aeroland
aeroland
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dragnse7en Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:02 am

aeroland wrote:
getback wrote:Don't break it especially the rotor in the back that is turned by the crank or you will have a display model in short order . There i am going to say impossible to get with out purchasing another engine Sad  Have you tore the engines down to see what you got ? Use appropriate fuel 25-35% Nitro  20 % castor and the right prop not to overload will help and don't just let it scream on the bench if you do that run . Small Cox Logo

Some years back I bought an RR1 and on dismantling to clean and check - no rear rotor!   So borrowed an RR1 and made a rotor from silver steel (drill rod blank material in the USA)  hardened and lapped to precise size in the front end of the tank.  Have the part drawn and tooling still so could make one if required.

Under test my RR1 was quite powerful but curiously had a tendency to back fire and throw off the prop.  No longer have it as it got sold to help fund a move.

Thanks for the offer but I bought the last rotor drum from Ex Models immediately after getting the engine.
I think that will keep me going forever since I can do the same exact thing, and copy the actual part, brand new from its blister pack.
Sounds to me like your posting would get better replies in the wanted/for sale section  Smile
dragnse7en
dragnse7en
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down