Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Happy Enya Day! Cox_ba12

Happy Enya Day! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 5:27 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by getback Today at 3:25 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Happy Enya Day! Empty
Live on Patrol

Happy Enya Day!

Go down

Happy Enya Day! Empty Happy Enya Day!

Post  944_Jim Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:40 am

I did some check out runs this weekend. It was a fifty-fifty weekend of Saturdays with first runs, and a relaxing Sunday of rest.

My weekend started last Thursday. Hung a license plate on an old Honda Shadow that has consumed too many blocks of time. With a successful first shake down in the neighborhood completed, it was time to get on the main jets. Up onto the bypass I went, and two exits later peeled off and hit the brakes...clank-clank..clank. Fortunately I was rolling at at a manageable speed to engine break the rest of the ramp. I did a visual...left caliper bolts-good. Right caliper bolts...one missing!
I still had back brakes, and immediately worked to the right shoulder and stopped. Sure enough...the leading bolt/slide was missing. So I walked back to the interchange at the end of the ramp. None of the cars behind me ran it over. A truck ran through the intersection and somehow missed it. I ran and grabbed it, and back-pedaled to the bike.
Happy Enya Day! Dun10

This is the first ride on a bike I never asked for, nor paid for. It was dumped on me with a clear title and zero history. So I checked the backrest. Behold, a factory tool bag is in there! While it felt a little light, at least the crescent wrench was a better small clone. A quick check of all the bolts showed three finger tight. Oops!

Saturday number two (Friday) was "clean out field box morning." As I emptied, sorted and repacked, I thought I should run the Torpedo .19s I bought. Both fought me, and never really ran a prime. A quick check of one rod shows visually observable wear. Then I figured I should run the Medallion sitting loose on the bench. A little fiddling with the needle and spray bar had the engine getting fuel, and off it ran!

Well, today is Saturday number four. I'm starting to clean up the Hobby Closet so I can finish some old projects...and there is one of the Enya .09 engines. I suspect it was either low hours, or no hours. In short order it was running out an ounce of fuel...and did it twice!
Happy Enya Day! Img_2098

Surprisingly, no engine-powered project hurt me this weekend. Especially the bike.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Enya Day! Empty Re: Happy Enya Day!

Post  sosam117 Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:12 pm

Nice little Enya .09-III for U/control.
You can get a R/C carb for that, if you want to.

Just watch out for that bologna slicing APC prop. The edges are sharp on those flipping fingers!

Also, glad you are o.k. with the bike (no accident). Thank the good Lord for keeping you safe?
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:01 pm

Jim, Shadow VT-500C? Nice mid 1980's UJM (universal Japanese Bike). My 1987 Suzuki LS650 Savage had similar styling. Shadow morphed into the 500 Rebel, this year or last they brought back the 500, this time as a parallel water cooled twin but put a puny gas tank on it (less than 3 gallons). Mine had a 2.8 gallon tank, I was refilling every 100 miles of riding, a few times was riding on fumes. I remember the 400 and 450 UJM's had at least a 4 gallon tank.

This rider had some positive notes to say about the Shadow 500:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2020/03/04/living-with-the-honda-vt500c-shadow-35-years-later/ Very Happy

Looks like a really nice bike to ride, don't think you'll get anything better today. Glad to see you were able to nurse it home.

Enya .09-III is a really nice engine, good to see you got to fire it off. Peter Chinn in 1966 called it the second most powerful engine after the Cox .09 Tee Dee. It is a torque engine, able to run stronger pitched and wider diameter props with ease. Glad to see you got a good run out of it.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:12 pm

I owned the bike Jim has pictured the VT-1100. They were awesome bikes and plenty of power. They were offered 1985-86 and I believe they were the best Shadow's produced in terms of offerings and power. I always found it a bit comical that the gas tank you see is solely decoration and the tank is under the seat.  Later models reduced to 4 speed transmissions, no center stands, no tachometers, single disc brakes upfront and the styling went into the toilet with the engine's performance. I drove the bike from Pennsylvania to Key West and onto Brattleboro, Vt. I rode it up Mt. Washington as well. I started off at the base wearing a t-shirt and shorts  and was in a snowmobile suit when I made it to the peak.

I also owned the Shadow VT 500, mine was the grey and blue and that bike was wicked fast for it's size, my dad had it's smaller brother the Honda FT 500 Ascot. The Ascot was a single cylinder which had monstrous torque. He had the engine rebuilt with larger piston and cam and a high performance exhaust. This turned the Ascot into a beast of a bike. It totally amazed me how hard that bike could leave.  I truly believe the 1980's lineup of Honda bikes were the best of the best. They had terrific styling, power and great colors. I always wanted a V-65 Magna but I settled for the Honda V-30 Magna instead.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:15 pm

I put some miles on a Magna in the 80s. They were pretty new with shaft drive and water cooled. Smooth and quiet, good handling.
The shaft drive self destructed on a cross country in Colorado had it fixed under warranty in some small town don't remember name.
Me and my Pop, just lost him last September.

Happy Enya Day! Cbc49d10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:57 pm

My condolences, @crankbndr for your loss. If he knew the Lord, then all those who know Him too will see your Dad.
1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 WEB wrote:"For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with God’s trumpet. The dead in Christ will rise first, then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. So we will be with the Lord forever."
I crossed the Continental Divide on my Savage in 2009, but on I-40 in New Mexico west of Thoreau and east of Gallup, elevation is only around 7,200 feet, basically a foot hill. Navajo Reservation roads are a hoot to ride on. On a number of occasions, road out to Crownpoint taking the back roads from Tohatchi, about 30 miles north of Gallup, once up to Chaco Canyon, to Grants, Acoma and Laguna Pueblo Reservations. Stop and get gas and a snack at their gas stations and "trading posts". Sorry, the photos I took with my camera, didn't have a cellphone at the time, it doesn't do selfies.
Happy Enya Day! Savage11
Savage at Navajo Pines north of Fort Defiance on the Arizona side of the Reservation.
Happy Enya Day! Savage12
Savage at Window Rock near Navajo Tribe HQ in Window Rock, AZ.

Was surprised to see them locked up tighter than a drum during the pandemic.

Took the bike with me in 2005 to Okinawa, Japan. There, I could go anywhere fast in 3rd gear.
Happy Enya Day! 1987_l10
Savage prior to shipping to Japan.
Happy Enya Day! Savage10
Savage with Japanese tags.

Happy Enya Day! 22_jun10
Crossroads in northern Okinawa.
Happy Enya Day! Gas_st10
Gas station up north, think may be Futami.

Had my Savage for 10 years, 2004 - 2014, then got myself a low mileage used 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII full dressed tourer. All those years riding that little Savage all over New Mexico, parts of Texas, Arizona, and Colorado prepared me for it. Strange, would show up at a motorcycle rally then get asked how I got there is such a tiny bike. I don't know, I just did it, told them that in the 1970's, a 650 was a big bike.

On the Kawasaki, I'd roll the throttle and watch the cars behind me disappear. A road and track magazine back in its day clocked the stock bike at 12.6 seconds on the quarter mile. Stock is 96 HP. It's got cruise control, which comes in handy on the open highway, plus 4 speaker radio gets louder the faster I go, so it isn't blaring at idle. Since I installed Progressive Springs, it now rides really nice on these rough NM roads.
Happy Enya Day! 2014-012
Some of the member riders of my short lived CMA Chapter, I'm toward middle right in black.
Happy Enya Day! Russel10
Ride to Russell's Truck Stop off I-40 in NM near Texas Border, I and my Voyager are at the far right.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:13 pm

George,
I've always had a thing for the S-40/Savage 650.

My sister bought one, and put only about 1500 miles on it.
She had mid-size leather saddlebags and a mini handlebar windscreen on it. It was a very pretty medium blue, with factory flat bars (no buckhorns) and a low-rise backrest.

Several years later, she sent it my way for me to tune and sell. I did the typical Savage "fixes" for it. The seat front got shimmed up so I didn't slide into the tank every time I hit the brakes. The carb needle got shimmed with one washer, and the idle-bypass valve was blocked with a piece of Coke can and a flap from a cereal box. I think I put about 500 miles on it to ensure it ran right with the mods, and then sold it. I got her asking price, but it was so low I kicked myself for not buying it for myself. I consider this one "one that got away." In all honesty, I had too many toys at the time anyway.

I'll ride this Shadow for a while, but plan on selling it to keep room for those toys. This isn't one I wanted, but at least it is no longer a 2.5 year boat anchor. You should see my 1983 Honda CB1100F (owned since 1987)!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:34 pm

CB1100F bike is a beautiful lightweight bike. Following is a photo from Dennis Kirk website. I've bought parts from there before, a reputable firm.

https://www.denniskirk.com/garagebuild/1983-honda-cb1100f-super-sport/

Happy Enya Day! Kirk410

You have a keeper, Jim. It is fairly lightweight, cruise capable, plenty of power where you need it.

Yes, the Savage is one of the best minimalist yet cruise ready bikes. I've kept up with other riders at 75 MPH on the Interstates for shorter jaunts of an hour or less before stopping. With no cooling system and belt drive, there is little to go wrong, little to service. Sweet spot is 65 MPH and under, ideal for traffic and rural roads we have in the southwest.

About the only down side is they being an air cooled will use a little bit of oil on hot days, the nature of the beast. Cool weather, used hardly any. Hottest weather, above 95 Deg F, I may had to add a quarter of a quart every 3rd fill up. I just packed a quart bottle with pouring spout and checked every fill, topped when necessary.

I am not alone, as I heard that the Kawasaki KLR650's, although a water cooled single, had a tendency to use a little oil, too. Some owners got stuck with an expensive bill for not checking their oil periodically. The Voyager on the other hand rarely needs to have the oil checked, similar to a car engine. I fill it with Diesel engine oil, cheaper and runs well, recommended on the owner's group.

Regarding an all around go to bike, you can't beat the Savage. I remember taking the MSF Safety Rider's course, back in the mid 2000's a requirement for civilians working on military bases. After riding the school's Rebel 250 twin and Kawasaki Marauder 250 single, riding home on the Savage felt like riding on a big bike. Pop the clutch and with the wide ratio 4 speed (mine was the earlier version), I was already at 15 MPH.

Only difference between the earlier 4 speed and later 5 speed is 300 RPM at top cruise. I was able to mount a universal electric Harley Tach on mine (Drag Specialties), with double fire ignition worked like a charm. At 75 MPH I was turning 5,200 RPM. Redline is 6,500 RPM. AFAIK, this is or or less typical of mid sizes.  The Voyager, I am turning around 4,300 RPM.

When the traffic gets nuts on the Interstate, I usually just find a trucker heading down the road around 68 MPH, back off a little and follow him, let the cars pass. Life is too short to become a statistic.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:25 pm

Question ? Does this model have high and low gear Surely no I think the 1980 Honda CB900 Custom model had road and city speeds I think if my memory serves me right the 1100 look cool And certainly very fast Nice bike Thumbs Up
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:24 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:CB1100F bike is a beautiful lightweight bike. Following is a photo from Dennis Kirk website. I've bought parts from there before, a reputable firm.

https://www.denniskirk.com/garagebuild/1983-honda-cb1100f-super-sport/

When the traffic gets nuts on the Interstate, I usually just find a trucker heading down the road around 68 MPH, back off a little and follow him, let the cars pass. Life is too short to become a statistic.

Smart George, I remember when I attended classes the instructor quoted "There are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists, but there are no old bold motorcyclists.  "

A truism mostly.  Stayed with me, but still one day I almost took out a fruit stand.  Never laid one over though.  

The first time I got close to any motorcycle was in my early teens.  A Honda Dream.  I remember how it started.  No starter grinding. A press of a button and it was running.  

Got Mark a Honda XR75 for Christmas, about 12 I think.  Sort of reckless, lost some skin on his butt.  Cops etc. At 16 with his own money he bought one like this from a friend.

Happy Enya Day! K_moto10

I made him return it.  Perhaps why he is still with us today.

Today, he has that Honda Dream, and I bought a S-90 like I used to have.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:58 pm

davidll1984 wrote:Question ? Does this model have high and low gear Surely no I think the 1980 Honda CB900 Custom model had road and city speeds I think if my memory serves me right the 1100 look cool And certainly very fast Nice bike Thumbs Up

I guess in a way you could say David, it has high and low gear. At city speeds, you can go anywhere fast in 3rd gear. Very Happy

rsv1cox wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:When the traffic gets nuts on the Interstate, I usually just find a trucker heading down the road around 68 MPH, back off a little and follow him, let the cars pass. Life is too short to become a statistic.
Smart George, I remember when I attended classes the instructor quoted "There are old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists, but there are no old bold motorcyclists." A truism mostly.  Stayed with me, but still one day I almost took out a fruit stand.  Never laid one over though.
Yeah, good saying adapted from what aircraft pilots used to say. Every now and then we hear of a crop dusting pilot who bit the dust. Stuff happens. Sad

rsv1cox wrote:The first time I got close to any motorcycle was in my early teens.  A Honda Dream.  I remember how it started.  No starter grinding. A press of a button and it was running.
My first bike was a well used 1971 Honda CB100 5 speed, sweet spot 40 MPH but could do 65 wide open throttle. I was in college and 25 at the time. It could keep up with Honolulu traffic. I borrowed a friend's Honda moped, fastest speed was 32 MPH, was truly spooky to ride in Honolulu traffic, good way to get injured or killed. Gas bill dropped from $40 per month (with a 1968 Chevy Caprice full size) to $10, insurance dropped from $330 to $50 per year, was the best thing for me economically to finish college with. Still have it, even have the small ABS hard saddle bags I used for college with it.

rsv1cox wrote:Got Mark a Honda XR75 for Christmas, about 12 I think.  Sort of reckless, lost some skin on his butt.  Cops etc. At 16 with his own money he bought one like this from a friend.

Happy Enya Day! K_moto10

I made him return it.  Perhaps why he is still with us today.
Yeah, a really fine bike, good mid size cruiser, wouldn't mind having one like that today.

rsv1cox wrote:Today, he has that Honda Dream, and I bought a S-90 like I used to have.
Dream's a good bike, S90 too, can keep up with the traffic but fun to tool around in in inner city traffic or on a quiet country road. If I were in your neighborhood, your son, you and I on the Dream, S90 and CB100 could ride down one of those rural West Virginia roads and have a blast one afternoon. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:52 pm

davidll1984 wrote:Question ? Does this model have high and low gear

Nope.
The DOHC 16 valve CB-Fs all had 5-speed trannies only. The CB750C (for Custom) was also a 5-speed. I can't remember if the CB900C has the 2-speed final drive, but I think it did. I know for a fact the CB1000C did have it. The 2-speed final drive is an add-on external to the bottom engine case, so there is quite a bit of cross-over/interchange within the aircooled DOHC family from output shaft to camshaft.

Europe got the CB-F (Bol d'Or) 750/900, and the CB1100R for a few years, which was based on the CB-F, but Europe got that sexy 1/2 fairing very similar to the HondaLine CB750/900F before settling for the ever so much sexier full fairing.
I think Canada and Australia got the CB1100F for a few years, but without the USA-only 1/4 fairing as shown above. I think Australia also got the CB1100R. USA got the 1100 for only one year. Neat note regarding our one year only bike...only about 6200 were built/imported. I hate to say I stripped one to finish mine.
This is 1994, just after rebuilding it in my apartment living room in Massachusetts. It has held up appearances better than I have, but we're still together 35 years later!
Happy Enya Day! Img_1_10

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down