Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains Cox_ba12

No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:23 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:27 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Wed May 08, 2024 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains Empty
Live on Patrol

No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains

Go down

No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains Empty No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains

Post  944_Jim Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:25 pm

After seeing RSV-Bob's "HO Ho ho" thread, I thought it fitting to do a small Show-and-Tell.

This layout is from a really early train magazine. I have a scan of the plan someplace, which was made from the original article titled "Rubble Creek and Thunder Mine." As my boys got a bit older, I dragged it out of mothballs and we played with it for a short set of consecutive Christmas holidays. The oldest gave up...the youngest wanted it in his room. I took it back into hiding when I caught him and a buddy playing "Demolition Trains." It was too late...one locomotive wound up with a nose job onto onto the  concrete  floor.

Since I started cleaning up the Hobby Closet, I figured I'd introduce it...I've "threatened before," and would hate to die without having shown it to somebody else.

This build started in grade school over 40 50 years ago with the basic Bachmann oval diesel loco set. A casual friend with more money and space showed me his magazine collection, and I saw the Rubble Creek and Thunder Mine article within one of the magazines. My late step-dad always wanted to play with trains, so I showed him the magazine and stash. We organized a build period while my mother was on a trip, so she came home to a table with the mainline already nailed down.

You can count the number of old school isolated blocks and switches. This IS a lot of railroad on a 2 foot by four foot table, plus the dual cab control and switch board. Yes, this is before digital operations...and is all analog! The hobby closet is still a train wreck (yuck, yuck, yuck), so I didn't pull out any locos or cars. Since the theme is supposed to be a coal mine, I have a small coal-burner switcher, a couple of diesels and a pile of short coal cars. Time frame for the era would be late 40s through 60s.

It does look a lot better once the tunnel openings, walls, and structures are in.
No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains Img_2106
No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains Img_2105

Last edited by 944_Jim on Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:22 am; edited 3 times in total

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains Empty More

Post  944_Jim Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:27 pm

The coal mine goes on the white. A loco servicing building goes where the three way switch is.
No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains Img_2109
No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains Img_2108
No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains Img_2107

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains Empty Re: No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains

Post  getback Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:19 am

Sweet set up!! You really should give it a run this Christmas That is N Gauge correct ? Its what i think  you had said before , I was just looking through my few left YouTube vids and seen this sososo ..  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irq9pQGm1Xc  I got more train stuff stuck away (more than track) LOL Its the O Gauge in 27 the same my dad and brother had cause i had seen some of it in the attic and enough track to only make a circle Doh!  Was looking at more but my room here has shrank with all the Fun stuff i don't seem to have time to play with ... Wish I were a kid again with all the time in the world and energy to Go go go This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains Empty Re: No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:30 am

You sure tucked a lot into that small space Jim, and nicely done also.

Sidings, split levels, switchbacks, main lines and maybe a reverse loop. Gotta be N scale as Eric noted or smaller. Lot's of room to add stuff too.

I like it!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:15 am

Eric,
Yes, N-scale. The joke was the N in "No HO Ho" after Bob's "HO Ho ho."

Bob,
No reverse loop. As much as I wanted one, I was too chicken to try to figure out where to squeeze one in. I lifted the plan straight off the page using an old school over-head reflector projector. The image was shot onto a wall and the projector moved back and forth (old school zoom in/out) until I got the 2x4 image. Paper was taped to the wall, and away I traced. Then it was easy to build the underlying frame work, purchase the sheet of plywood, and trace/cut as indicated on paper.

The spurs at the front left/rear right are as in the article. I always wanted to remove the bumpers and use them for expansion.

If the train on the main line is reasonably short, and kept at slow/scale speed, then the second cab/throttle can be used to run a smaller train in the opposite direction using the spurs and sidings as a hide-away from the main train. It gets very busy very fast...even when run slowly.

I doubt I'll ever finish it, and just yesterday even considered finding a young family to gift it to...still scratching my chin on that one as I'm not one to let things go very well. I suspect it's an internal struggle from not having much as a young boy, and a driving factor behind wanting to do the Scientific P-40 again.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:02 am

Your still young yet, wait until you hit your 70's, then model railroading becomes more attractive.

Yes, for a reverse loop you need an Atlas Controller, makes it simple.  I have ran three trains at one time but it's work to stay ahead of it.  Your all arms and fingers.  

I have the same set-up, but I added this MRC "Sound and Power."  Diesel and steam sounds and bells and whistles.  Woo-woo... chug chug.  

No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains P1014221
No HO Ho...a small response to Bob's HO model.trains P1014222
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down