Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Cox_ba12

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 1:53 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 12:38 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Empty
Live on Patrol

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Empty OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness

Post  roddie Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:58 pm

I'll go first.. I needed to cut a slot in the profile fuse of my current TBD1 design, for its 1/8" (3.18mm) balsa sheet-wing to fit into. The fuse is 3/16" balsa; faced both-sides with 1/64" plywood nose-doublers.

The slot is on the center-line of the fuse.. and the fuse's top and bottom are parallel.

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Wing-s10

I made a tool consisting of a small wooden block with a fence attached, to bear on the fuse.. with the block-component having the proper offset for a #11 hobby-blade to be attached so as to "score" the 1/64" plywood on both sides; top and bottom.

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Wing-s11

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Wing-s12

There are multiple depth-settings for the knife.

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Wing-s13

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Wing-s15

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Wing-s16

This same tool will be used to cut the slot for the stab. prior to my tapering the fuse's tail geometry.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Empty Re: OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness

Post  rdw777 Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:09 pm

When there is no specialty tool for the job….. Then one is created…. Mark of a good engineer….Good job Roddie Very Happy

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Empty Re: OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness

Post  Yabby Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:01 pm

Hey Roddie, thats insane man! cheers sunny Brilliant tool you have designed. I envy people with the mind that can come up with a tool that is able to do a job jsut perfectly rather than the rough manual way. Congrats on that. Thumbs Up Your build logs are awesome teaching tools in themselves. Beer Cheers cheers sunny

GaryB
'Yabby'
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:05 pm

rdw777 wrote:When there is no specialty tool for the job….. Then one is created…. Mark of a good engineer….Good job Roddie Very Happy

Robert

Thank You Robert! The slot was a bit wider than I'd have liked.. but it will make it easier to set the wing perpendicular to the fuse.. which can be a PIA with a tighter slot. I'd rather have some room for epoxy in that joint.. otherwise it can be a weak-spot under certain/unfortunate conditions.. where a gram of prevention.. is worth an ounce of cure. Shocked

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Wing-s17

Last edited by roddie on Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:07 pm

Yabby wrote:Hey Roddie, thats insane man! cheers sunny Brilliant tool you have designed. I envy people with the mind that can come up with a tool that is able to do a job jsut perfectly rather than the rough manual way. Congrats on that. Thumbs Up Your build logs are awesome teaching tools in themselves. Beer Cheers cheers sunny

GaryB
'Yabby'

Exactly Gary!!! I'm crazy.. but I enjoy the craziness.. Very Happy
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:47 pm

Devastating tool roddie simply devastating............

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Tbd-1-10

The other To Be Determined
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:04 pm

Ahh yes.. the Douglas TBD Devestator torpedo-bomber.. Designed in the early "30's".. and very advanced for when it entered serviced for the US Navy in 1937. Short-lived though.. decommissioned from active-service.. 1n 1942 after the battle of Midway, and completely in 1944............ for a multitude of problems later attributed to the USN's Mark 13 torpedo.. and was replaced by the Grumman TBF Avenger. Shocked (I site Wikipedia for the aforementioned info.)

Fascinating history when you start looking into these WW2 aircraft..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:28 pm

roddie wrote:Ahh yes.. the Douglas TBD Devestator torpedo-bomber.. Designed in the early "30's".. and very advanced for when it entered serviced for the US Navy in 1937. Short-lived though.. decommissioned from active-service.. 1n 1942 after the battle of Midway, and completely in 1944............ for a multitude of problems later attributed to the USN's Mark 13 torpedo.. and was replaced by the Grumman TBF Avenger. Shocked (I site Wikipedia for the aforementioned info.)

Fascinating history when you start looking into these WW2 aircraft..

Smile Smile You know how my mind wanders...........

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:13 am

Was thinking about your thread last night Roddie and think I fit some of those…. I love to strain at a gnat so to speak and enjoy getting in that zone….Here’s a contribution to the madness…. I can never find the right size little washers to solder on the landing gear to hold the wheels on (or other stuff) so I make my own from copper wire…. Coil it around a wire then hammer flat …. Cut it off and clean up with small files….

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness 4fccfd10
OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness 21caa810
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:22 am

Those washers are brilliant, RDW!

While a picture is worth a thousand words, could you provide a few details?

Are you using solid copper, or tightly twisted strand?
How do you keep the inner hole from collapsing into nothing? I would expect as the copper gets flattened, that it would grow in both inward (shrinking the hole) and outward directions.

No more staring at #0 washers and wishing they were brass or copper. Or cutting tin with a hole punch and drilling with my pin vise...I'll be doing "R(eally) D(one) W(ell) wheel retainers" once I try this!

Thanks much.

Last edited by 944_Jim on Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Syntax)

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:38 am

That is one way to do it, Robert, good going, once sweat soldered onto the music wire axle would seal the overlapping ends for a sturdy wheel retainer. I was lazy and went the Dubro and CG way, bought their retainers when still available. The CG ones used spring steel wire with backing washer, were at the time inexpensive and I used quite a few. Your forming method reminds me of the flattened pennies you could buy at truck stops and souvenir shops 20 - 30 years ago.

rsv1cox wrote:Devastating tool roddie simply devastating............

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Tbd-1-10

The other To Be Determined
Regarding other to be determined, I came across this photo from WW2, a pre-war Martin B-10 flying over Oahu around the time of Pearl Harbor attack.
OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness 2023-036
Official US Government photo.

To me, it is a beautiful aircraft. This is 1930's technology, what our military was flying at the start of the war. The better stuff came later. I saved various plans of it from Outerzone and I think Hip Pocket Aeronautics downloads, with intentions to later make a half-A profile C/L aircraft for two .049's.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:22 am

Hi Guys, Glad you like the washers!!! A few more details;
You’re right Jim, The holes do shrink up as you peen them flat on a hard surface (I use the flat anvil-ish thing on the back of my vice and a small tack hammer)….. Use a bigger form ( sometimes I use close hanger wire) than the intended finish size….. As it’s shaped being from being OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness 617cbd10
peened flat keep checking the hole size against your landing gear wire…. If you happen to get it too tight you can bore it out a little with a round needle file….Spin the directions that would tighten the gap… Use the tails for something to hold on to

When it’s close snip the tails off as close as possible…. The round needle file makes a good holder while you dress the outside edge….. An alternative would be to leave one or both tails, Solder it on, Then dress it out…. I usually finish the washer and install as normal…. 18 - 22 gauge solid (not stranded) wire is about right for 1/16 music landing gear….About the size you would find maybe in a thermostat control cable….. If you happen to have an electrician buddy individual strands from cutoffs from # 4 or 6 copper are good too…. Just keep your eyes open for scrap copper wire…. Something should pop up…

Love that Martin B-10 George…. Looked at some of the color photos on the net… Beautiful and graceful…. Profile 1/2 A - CL would be the perfect way to model it too!!!
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:47 am

"Love that Martin B-10 George…. Looked at some of the color photos on the net… Beautiful and graceful…. Profile 1/2 A - CL would be the perfect way to model it too!!!"

I thought the same Robert, complex design to be accomplished by someone more talented than me. Air Classics did a piece on one awhile back, I will have to dig it out.

I was thinking about your copper washers. As kids we would place a penny on the railroad tracks hide and wait for the train to pass. Pressed very thin. Drill a few holes, center a quality 1/4" hole punch over each hole and hit with a hammer. Voila, a copper washer.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:41 pm

Very nice "life-hack" on the copper flat-washers Robert! The big "+" is being able to solder them in place. That's a wheel-retainer simplified.. that won't inadvertently come apart.. or loosen. That's what we strive for in our flying-machines. Components that don't break.. but need to be checked periodically for wear and replaced; once worn to a certain measurable point.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:26 pm

Hello once again.. and welcome back to "OCD TV" your humble host "Roddie" here.

What we currently have for your viewing pleasure... is a hack on a flux-brush; an item commonly used by plumbers.. or wanna be plumbers...

A thin rolled metal tube with brush/bristles crimped-onto one end.. and about 6" long.

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness 20230213

I use these brushes to spread epoxy.. but first I trim the bristles shorter.. by approximately 50%...

I wrap masking-tape around the bristles..

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness 20230214

and then cut them shorter with good sharp scissors.

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness 20230215
OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness 20230216

The shorter bristles really help to control the spreading of epoxy. When your using 5-minute pot-life glue; control is important.

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Epoxy_11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:09 am

Nice Roddie, I’m sure  the brush gives a lot of control on applying epoxy…. Never thought about trimming one for even better results…. Noted!!!…. I’ll have to grab a few next trip to the hardware store!!!

My team was doing a remodel at on of the schools I worked at a couple of years ago and part of the demo was to remove a couple of windows that had roll up bamboo blinds on them…. The blinds were going to thrown away… I thought to myself, No, Them’s airplane parts!!!

The round sections are a little less than 1/8 dia and the flats a little less than 1/4….36” long… I use them for poor boy carbon fiber reinforcements, pushrods, dowels, glue mixer’s, etc, etc, …. I have a life time supply of this stuff ….

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness 2385d110
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:38 am

Acid swabbing brushes. I buy them by the dozen at Harbor Freight.

Cut to length they serve many purposes, and disposable without guilt.

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness P1014959

Enjoying this thread roddie
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Empty alignment madness...

Post  roddie Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:45 pm

my current build.. before it was too late... Doh!  I tapered the leading and trailing-edges of my sheet-wing before proceeding in the alignment process.. and before applying the 5-min epoxy to the joint.

Still no glue; I've regressed back to my childhood, and am playing with blocks..

not bad..

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Tbd1-a10

better...

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Tbd1-a11

better still...

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Tbd1-a12

now if I can just find my T-pins.. Neutral
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:08 pm

OCD roddie you bring it!.........

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness 20230210

I just chop-em off.... Smile

So, when are you going to let us know..............power?  and final configuration?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:14 pm

rsv1cox wrote:OCD roddie you bring it!.........

So, when are you going to let us know..............power?  and final configuration?

DAMMIT! I had a reply Robert.. and it somehow slipped away into cyberspace.. Mad

attempt #2

Yea.. so.. The name of this design is T-Bee-D1.. and was meant for Cox .049 reed-valve glow power. Not necessarily integrally-tanked engines.. but definitely reed-valve induction.

more OCD madness making a fin template....

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Tbd1-f19

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Tbd1-f20

Fin-template #1 just doesn't fit with the rest of the design-geometry..

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Tbd1-f21

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Tbd1-f22

so I'll save the French-Curves for if I go with a canopy-profile.

Here's fin-template #2..

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Tbd1-f24
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:35 pm

Aha........rectangles and sharp corners morph into a very appealing curved sail..............I like temp #1, but, I could go for #2............
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:01 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Aha........rectangles and sharp corners morph into a very appealing curved sail..............I like temp #1, but, I could go for #2............

Thank you Robert! Smile I "sort-of" like the curved sail lines of template #1. I haven't cut any balsa-wood for the fin yet... Popcorn
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Empty Sig SH234 bellcrank bushing-mod

Post  roddie Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:31 pm

I recently sourced some small nylon bellcranks from Sig Manufacturing Co. In Iowa (USA). Sig has long been a great source for aeromodeling supplies, and I'm happy to report that the company is in the process of relocating to a larger/state of the art facility. They will however continue to fulfill orders for "in-stock" items, until the new facility is up and running.

Amongst a few other somewhat related items; I ordered X8 pieces of their #SH234 "1/2A Nylon Bellcrank with control horn assembly.

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Sig_sh13

Many of my models utilize this bellcrank.. but none of them utilize the supplied wood-screw for retention. My earlier builds utilize a 2-56 machine-screw/hex-nut combo with either a "lock-nut".. or some other means to "lock" the hex-nut from loosening. I've used CA as a thread-locker.  

The fact is; the Sig #234 assembly's nylon bushing has an ID measurement of .089" and a 2-56 machine-screw's OD is .084" which works fine despite there being .0025" of concentric-slop in the bushing..

So............. I decided to increase the .089" dia. bore-size of the nylon bushing to .098" which is the OD of a 3-48 machine-screw which I have a supply of on-hand. This was done with a #40 (wire-guage) drill.

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Tbd1-s19

It's a snug fit.. which I like.. but also notice; I'm using a 3-48 "cap-screw" which has approx. 3/16" of non-threaded shank below the head. Just a little OCDetail that I wanted to point out.

The wood-discs are 1.000" dia. 1/64" 3-ply for the bellcrank-mount to bear-on.. top/bottom of a 1/8" balsawood sheet-wing.

Last edited by roddie on Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:36 pm

Roddie, did you actually purchase from SIG very recently, or from a 3rd party or another website selling SIG? Feedback from Stunt Hangar has someone hanging in limbo because apparently, SIG shipped him Epoxy that already appears to be hardened, basically "new" old stock.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/sig-selling/msg653011/#msg653011
Chuck Matheny on March 02, 2023 wrote:SIG recently sent  me 5 minute epoxy with Part A about the same consistency as cheese. I notified them about 2 weeks ago and so far they have not replied to my complaint. If this happened to me I wonder how many other customers have recently experienced the same thing ?  In the mean time they will continue to lose my business until they make amends.
There is a trail of history (for lack of a better term) in the thread, if you follow back. And,

RCU Clubhouse: Old Timers Look Here, Must Be 50, Post #12760646
FlyerInOKC on Feb. 1, 2023 wrote:I just got a newsletter from Old School Models, here is what I read: Secondly, our supply of CA hinges has dried up and it’s taken a bit of time a negotiation to find a substitute. I’ve found another supplier that I hope will be a good replacement.

But the biggest problem has been the loss of Sig Mfg. There's a lot of rumors going around as to what's going on with them - well I can tell you that as of 1/31, they have ceased all manufacturing and what's left will be an importer of ARF kits, moving somewhere up in the Chicago area. That's a shame, as there's a massive history and knowledge base that's apparently going to be lost. As you may or may not know, I purchase a good deal of items from Sig which are included in our own kits. Some wood, landing gear (music) wire, nose gear assemblies, etc. Their shutdown has sent me scrambling to find other suppliers. I'm well on the way to solving some of these, but let's just say it's taking ALL of my free time to make sure things are still shipping on time.
From what I heard, they are discontinuing a lot of items and going to be an ARF distributor hence forth, relocating from Montezuma, Iowa to the Chicago area or somewhere thereabouts.

However, if you have more up-to-date facts, then may be you can enlighten us, because others are saying different, to include a kit maker who was using SIG parts in his kits.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:56 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:...............
From what I heard, they are discontinuing a lot of items and going to be an ARF distributor hence forth, relocating from Montezuma, Iowa to the Chicago area or somewhere thereabouts.

However, if you have more up-to-date facts, then may be you can enlighten us, because others are saying different, to include a kit maker who was using SIG parts in his kits.

It would be nice to know what the situation is, particularly WRT to wood and building products.  I've heard stories similar to those George has posted.  The following is on the home page of their site:

OCD TV-a pictorial of modeling madness Sig10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next