Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Guillows Cessna build advice needed  Cox_ba12

Guillows Cessna build advice needed  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by getback Today at 2:32 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Guillows Cessna build advice needed  Empty
Live on Patrol

Guillows Cessna build advice needed

Go down

Guillows Cessna build advice needed  Empty Guillows Cessna build advice needed

Post  Cessnapilot28 Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:31 am

Hello again all!
Slow progress on my Guillows Cessna 150 I’m converting to 3ch rc rudder elevator ailerons thought about flaps but that’s probably over kill having a screaming cox pee wee on it !
I’ve not ran one of these engines for a while
A couple of questions
Am
I correct that 2 D size batteries in parallel 1.5v is the required glow power?
I’m going to use an external tank so I have to drill a hole inside the original tank and
Connect to the fuel feed inside ? Or how is this done  ?
Finally what fuel works best for the pee wee I’m in the U.K. btwGuillows Cessna build advice needed  D8dc1a10
Guillows Cessna build advice needed  844b4310
Guillows Cessna build advice needed  4465d010
Cessnapilot28
Cessnapilot28
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Guillows Cessna build advice needed  Empty Re: Guillows Cessna build advice needed

Post  getback Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:37 am

You are correct on the parallel batteries and the connection to the nipple inside the tank. The fuel in UK ? I don't know were but 20 % castor with 25% Nitro % will make the PeeWee easier to start and needle for you . The plane is looking Good so far keep it up you will get there . Very Happy Here is some more info on the fuel > https://coxengines.ca/public/files/FG.pdf

Last edited by getback on Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add on)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Guillows Cessna build advice needed  Empty Re: Guillows Cessna build advice needed

Post  MauricioB Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:19 am

excellent!!!... I will be attentive to your progress.
Don't pierce the stock tank!...you can fit a plate from the cox chopper, or else check to see if Ex model engines or Cox international still have the back plate for the Cox .020.
Sure you can pierce the original tank, but out there, if you get a plate, then you keep it in its original state!

Guillows Cessna build advice needed  Dsc02113
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:16 pm

Let us know the all up weight when the R/C conversion is complete. I flew the Guillows Super Cub free flight with the Pee Wee many years ago and it flew like a bird.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cessnapilot28 Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:21 pm

getback wrote:You are correct on the parallel batteries and the connection to the nipple inside the tank. The fuel in UK ? I don't know were but 20 % castor with 25% Nitro % will make the PeeWee easier to start and needle for you . The plane is looking Good so far keep it up you will get there . Very Happy Here is some more info on the fuel > https://coxengines.ca/public/files/FG.pdf
That’s awesome thanks so much it’s a slow process with these kits just hope the pee wee delivers !!
Seems to be the easiest way reading that advice is to buy 25% nitro fuel and add the castor oil yourself using the chart interested to know what everyone does
More progress tonight ! Trying to save as much weight as possible Guillows Cessna build advice needed  Ce0b7c10
Cessnapilot28
Cessnapilot28
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cessnapilot28 Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:46 am

MauricioB wrote:excellent!!!... I will be attentive to your progress.
Don't pierce the stock tank!...you can fit a plate from the cox chopper, or else check to see if Ex model engines or Cox international still have the back plate for the Cox .020.
Sure you can pierce the original tank, but out there, if you get a plate, then you keep it in its original state!

Brilliant thank you ! Your model looks great will try and source the back plate I just love these tiny engines real screamers !!!
My last Cessna weighed in at 130 grams it needs 10 grams of nose weight hoping for less with this one I’ll use tissue and dope
Cessnapilot28
Cessnapilot28
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cessnapilot28 Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:56 am

Guillows Cessna build advice needed  06126210
Guillows Cessna build advice needed  4b5c5910
Cessnapilot28
Cessnapilot28
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Guillows Cessna build advice needed  Empty Peewee

Post  Coxfledgling Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:14 am

Hi cp28,

Which kneck of the woods are you in ?

You know of dens model supplies for smaller Cox parts ?

Fuel, Weston's fuel contains no castor oil. Model technics fuel is still available but not sure if 25 percent is made anymore, legislation may have killed it off.

eBay/Amazon sells some stuff but I believe PAW engines can supply castor.

I have a peewee which I will probably never use....

The modern very light weight RC stuff opens up the viability of RC control for lots of small scale kits, even slight enlargement possibilities for the gaggle of 049's I have.
Silencers and RC carbs available for these.

Snowed in in Snowdonia.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:34 am

I agree with Mauricio. Please don't damage the original tank. It's not something which is reproduced like the .049 tanks and is irreplaceable.
The 3D printed backplates which have been on offer seem to do the trick. If a chopper backplate like Mauricio's is available, even better.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cessnapilot28 Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:49 am

Coxfledgling wrote:Hi cp28,

Which kneck of the woods are you in ?

You know of dens model supplies for smaller Cox parts ?

Fuel, Weston's fuel contains no castor oil. Model technics fuel is still available but not sure if 25 percent is made anymore, legislation may have killed it off.

eBay/Amazon sells some stuff but I believe PAW engines can supply castor.

I have a peewee which I will probably never use....

The modern very light weight RC stuff opens up the viability of RC control for lots of small scale kits, even slight enlargement possibilities for the gaggle of 049's I have.
Silencers and RC carbs available for these.

Snowed in in Snowdonia.
Hi there
I’m in the uk if you have any direct links for this area that would be great otherwise I’ll just have to search for what you’ve said I’m sure we can still get model technics fuel here
I am aware of dens model supplies and have bought a few things from him fuel tank propeller fuel line and a glow clip as they seem to be hard to find also
Just had a search for a back plate none over here that I can see maybe If someone has a 3D one they could sell that would be ideal
Crazy gear has got so advanced and tiny now everything is possible
I’m using a spectrum A6420 receiver brick I’ve read that the mufflers if you can get one are not very effient I’d love to get hold of a throttle sleeve to tame the engine down but they also seem to be hard to get hold of I put another post on here asking if anyone has the details. On how to make one
Cessnapilot28
Cessnapilot28
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cessnapilot28 Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:36 am

Hi
No I’m not going to put a hole in the tank doesn’t seem right maybe I’ll find a spare tank hopefully
Cessnapilot28
Cessnapilot28
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cessnapilot28 Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:38 am

706jim wrote:Let us know the all up weight when the R/C conversion is complete. I flew the Guillows Super Cub free flight with the Pee Wee many years ago and it flew like a bird.
Hi Jim
Will do also have a super cub kit in the box after this project is completed
What was your AUW on that one ?
And what rc gear did you use
Cessnapilot28
Cessnapilot28
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:40 pm

My Super Cub was free flight only. No R/C gear at the time (1971). I think it weighed 4oz all up but could be wrong about this. It's been gone a long time. I hope to build another one sometime out of nostalgia and possibly put R/C into it.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cessnapilot28 Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:52 am

706jim wrote:My Super Cub was free flight only. No R/C gear at the time (1971). I think it weighed 4oz all up but could be wrong about this. It's been gone a long time. I hope to build another one sometime out of nostalgia and possibly put R/C into it.
Awesome you should make another and convert it !
Cessnapilot28
Cessnapilot28
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cessnapilot28 Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:55 am

More progress !
The pee wee had an airframe or at least the bare bones of one
I’ve trimmed as much as I can from the fuselage formers to keep the weight down it’s always a challenge in these small models! I’m on the look out for a base plate if anyone has one spare or can 3d print one for me ? Guillows Cessna build advice needed  9d1bbe10
Guillows Cessna build advice needed  0f070210
Guillows Cessna build advice needed  A789ec10
Cessnapilot28
Cessnapilot28
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cessnapilot28 Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:02 pm

Guillows Cessna build advice needed  E9957510
Cessnapilot28
Cessnapilot28
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:27 pm

Cessnapilot28 wrote:Guillows Cessna build advice needed  E9957510
My comment is no reflection on your building skills, but that Guillows balsa looks like rubbish! Appears to be soft and mushy from the pictures.
Well done on the build, but if it was me I'd be substituting some of the parts for more stable balsa.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cessnapilot28 Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:20 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
Cessnapilot28 wrote:Guillows Cessna build advice needed  E9957510
My comment is no reflection on your building skills, but that Guillows balsa looks like rubbish!  Appears to be soft and mushy from the pictures.
Well done on the build, but if it was me I'd be substituting some of the parts for more stable balsa.
Yes I agree to a point I always thought the laser cut kits were better quality oh well a little bit too late now !
Cessnapilot28
Cessnapilot28
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down