Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Guillows B-17...just wow! Cox_ba12

Guillows B-17...just wow! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:10 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Guillows B-17...just wow! Empty
Live on Patrol

Guillows B-17...just wow!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Guillows B-17...just wow! Empty Guillows B-17...just wow!

Post  944_Jim Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:37 am

Gents,

I don't think we've seen this one before...Enjoy:
https://youtu.be/Yq1Gb9XTupA

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Guillows B-17...just wow! Empty Re: Guillows B-17...just wow!

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:52 am

Totally impressed. That fellow should be on the forum!

Lived my dream. After I finished the Scratched out P-38 I wanted to build a B-24 with four Babe Bees. The slab sided B-24 being an easier build than the complicated B-17. But I was pumped to fly a four engined job. Really nice Guillows airframe. Think I will go out and break a leg too.

Not sure if one or two were still working at the end.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:13 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
944_Jim wrote:Gents, I don't think we've seen this one before...Enjoy:
Totally impressed.  That fellow should be on the forum! Lived my dream.  After I finished the Scratched out P-38 I wanted to build a B-24 with four Babe Bees.  The slab sided B-24 being an easier build than the complicated B-17.  But I was pumped to fly a four engined job.  Really nice Guillows airframe.  Think I will go out and break a leg too.  Not sure if one or two were still working at the end.  
Nice, Jim. I made a comment on his video, encouraging him to join CEF.

Bob @rsv1cox , regarding paying for a build with a leg break, no thanks. Sad I think @Kim may have upped the ante regarding donating a left kidney. Laughing I already had 14 staples removed from back surgery. tongue Laughing También, nuestro amigo desde Argentina, @MauricioB ya ha pagado el precio con la cirugía reciente. Laughing Also, our friend from Argentina, MauricioB has already paid the price with surgery recently. lol! This Site Rocks!

Frank Baker made a single channel R/C rudder only with 4 Tee Dee .020's. If made at least 2 channel rudder and elevator, I don't see why 4 .049 reed valve engines couldn't be substituted.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6706
Guillows B-17...just wow! 670610
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:18 pm

Wow !
It is like,
Kieth Jarret, Paul J Guillow, and Leroy Cox got together.
Solving a tail heavy situation,
With two more .049s.
Very impressed,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:37 pm

Strange, looks like my YT video comment was deleted! Shocked
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:01 pm

944_Jim:
It's excellent work, there really is a lot of dedication there.
Thanks for sharing this amateur's video, I'm sorry about his leg, but I take advantage of the time to distract himself and create, that's great.
Regarding kidneys, staples in the back, rear surgeries, etc etc, and now a broken leg...enough guys, let's try to take a break and nobody has to be intervened anymore!....in my case still It's been almost 5 months and there are still some discomforts...so enough of surgeries!!...haha
Once again I congratulate the builder of that beautiful B-17!! Hand Shake
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:21 pm

MauricioB wrote:Regarding kidneys, staples in the back, rear surgeries, etc etc, and now a broken leg...enough guys, let's try to take a break and nobody has to be intervened anymore!....in my case still It's been almost 5 months and there are still some discomforts...so enough of surgeries!!...haha
Mauricio, regarding intervening, yo sólo estaba bromeando. Nosotros de CEF somos como una familia (Lupín 1982). Mauricio, I was just kidding, we at CEF are like a family. Very Happy Laughing
Guillows B-17...just wow! Lzpin811

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:25 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
MauricioB wrote:944_JimRegarding kidneys, staples in the back, rear surgeries, etc etc, and now a broken leg...enough guys, let's try to take a break and nobody has to be intervened anymore!....in my case still It's been almost 5 months and there are still some discomforts...so enough of surgeries!!...haha
Mauricio, yo sólo estaba bromeando. Nosotros de CEF somos como una familia (Lupín 1982). Mauricio, I was just kidding, we at CEF are like a family. Very Happy Laughing
Guillows B-17...just wow! Lzpin811

yes of course, I laugh while I make this comment!!! hahaha
I'm kidding, but it's hard for me to explain humor in the right way when writing and translating.
How can I explain it....??... I'm also joking in my comment!! ha ha Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:29 pm

Let's see if it's understood this way:
Guys: if surgery was a hobby, then let's change hobbies!! ha ha
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:16 pm

MauricioB wrote:Let's see if it's understood this way: Guys: if surgery was a hobby, then let's change hobbies!! ha ha
Mauricio, relájate por favor, no importa. Old Bugger Very Happy Ya tengo suficientes aviones rotos y motores rotos que necesitan ser reparados. Laughing Creo que tú también tienes lo mismo.
Mauricio, relax please, it doesn't matter. I already have enough broken airplanes and broken engines that need repairing. I believe you have the same, too. Cool
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:36 pm

So.. what "I'd do" (differently) with a four-engined  Babe Bee-powered aircraft...  would bee to fit all four engines with old 5cc tank-bowls that have holes drilled for external fuel-lines.. and plumb them to either a "central tank".. or to two separate "port and starboard" tanks. It would depend on how the model was being flown.

The "Bee" (Cox .049 integrally-tanked reed-valve engines) engines have absolutely no problems drawing fuel through that backplate design. It works like a pump as observed when cranking the engine via an elec. starter.

If I were attempting to start/run X4 of them.... I'd definitely want more than 5cc's worth of fuel/run-time.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:26 am

I've owned this kit for more than 40 years. The old one like I own is pretty horrid, the wood is heavy and the parts are die smashed. The plastic parts were far better in detail and strength to the garbage they offer today. However, the now old plastic is so fragile that just picking it up out of the box causes it to break and shatter on it's own weight. One of the reasons why I wanted this kit is the wing mounted engines, I didn't want to sheet the fuse as in other single engine models. The firewall mount design isn't really a good one but it works on the B-17.

I have to give the gent credit, his model is beautifully done especially when one is in pain. I spent two years in a cast from my wrist to my shoulder. It's unpleasant and utterly aggravating. It drags you down and you don't immediately recognize things that you can't do until it's time to do them.

I commend him on his successful flight. That being said though, I feel that there was sheeting missing in and around the nacelles. Not only would've this made covering easier to do and repair if needed, it would've strengthened the nacelles. It was clear in the video that the engines were vibrating as the cowls came loose. Not that there's a great attachment method for the plastic crap.

I do agree that tanks would be a nice feature but in general flights on these are simple roundy rounds which I feel are adequately interesting. Typically, the landing gear provisions that Guillow provides are generally just good enough to allow for a static model let alone a control line plane which would certainly require attention.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:47 am

Love the build wish he had got the engine runs better . the sink was out pretty bad And I had my volume turned up LOL Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:24 pm

I've never been able to complete one of these models without accidentally breaking it a few times....before it's built.
For a plane like that I would have tempted to use spruce stringers
I was worried about the model until after the lone engine quit.
Such a monumental effort...I hope he has a nice place to display it.
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:56 pm

getback wrote:Love the build wish he had got the engine runs better . the sink was out pretty bad And I had my volume turned up LOL Very Happy
Eric, although a very fine work, I gather that his B-17 may have been a little on the heavy side, which seems typical for Guillow type builds compounded by the additional engines. With only a wingspan of 45.75 inches (1162 mm), using the G model data from

http://galbreath.net/493rd-bomb-group/b17-flying-fortress/b-17-specifications/

Original had a Wingspan of 103 ft. 9.4 in., Wing Area of 1,420 sq. ft. Assuming the Guillow kept the same proportions, by extrapolation, (older I get the harder it is to do tongue Laughing ) I came up with an equivalent wing area of 267 square inches.

That is about half way between the wing areas of my 36 inch wingspan Q-Tee (250 sq. in.) and my 39 inch wingspan Schoolmaster (285 sq. in.). Both those were designed for a single half-A engine, which they had with light weight R/C gear of the time, decent glides.

Here, we are quadrupling engines at a significant increase in weight, by the time you add fuel, without increasing wing area. So I gather, he had a very heavy wing load. In comparison, Frank Baker's 1966 B-24 had a 60 inch (1524 mm) wingspan and used 4 lighter Cox .020 Tee Dees, which had a decent dead stick glide.

TD ABUSER wrote:I've never been able to complete one of these models without accidentally breaking it a few times....before it's built. For a plane like that I would have tempted to use spruce stringers. I was worried about the model until after the lone engine quit. Such a monumental effort...I hope he has a nice place to display it.
Yeah, been there and done that with my rubber powered builds. tongue I've heard others doing this and see how it could be done. Nice thing about hard wood is one can use slightly smaller cross sections to keep weight withing limits and still increase strength. May be make every other stringer as hardwood instead of balsa.

Perhaps if he went with two engines instead of 4, may have resulted in decent flight yet perhaps a better dead stick glide?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:19 am

Perhaps if he went with two engines instead of 4, may have resulted in decent flight yet perhaps a better dead stick glide?

Good thought George, a couple of inboard Black Widows with the larger tanks and two dummys on the outside minus props...who can tell the difference in the air results in less weight and drag.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:06 am

Bob, I would have taken it an additional step, use 2 Cox .020 Tee Dee's instead. (Carl Goldberg's 37 inch span Skylark with 2 engines and about same wing area used the same approach.) With plastic tanks and lighter, would have ample power for such wing area.

Also, I would have gone for a lighter finish in say, Polyspan, only use paint for trim. Being lighter yet resembling clear doped tissue, (say beige or green Polyspan on the top and Polyspan gray or sky blue for the underside), let it shine as a work of art with framework showing through.

Plus like others have suggested, sheet in plank engine nacelles to give better resistance from engine vibration. May be plank portions of the underside with a strip of plastic from a plastic bleach bottle as a skid, leave off the landing gear.

(The Guillow landing gears weren't that great on the rubber powereds, better left off to reduce weight and prevent tearing up the structure on landing.)

Being lighter, then it would have been a total blast to fly, plus do some simple 2 channel aerobatics with it.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:56 am

Yes, they look great in natural too. This one in Air Classics caught my eye.

Guillows B-17...just wow! Scan_166
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:34 am

This gentleman did an outstanding job on the B-17 and is a superb modeler…..A lot of directions this project could have taken but I really like it as is….. Four engines,Challenging and realistic….. CL, So graceful around its arc….The double tissue covering was kind of the long way around but the result is amazing….The whole thing has that just right vibe…..Love how he nursed it til all shut down…..Kudos to the builder and pilot…. Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:24 pm

Not criticizing his work, he did an amazing job of building, finishing as well as piloting. We all have our preferences, plus we all approach solutions differently.

Regarding Bob's idea of a scale like finish, grey Polyspan could also approximate that also.

This is what makes us uniquely different and adds a spark to life. If we all did things the same way, we'd just be another ARF flying world with the exact same radios, now just electric motors with the same props, batteries, and a whole bunch of safety features (like stability control) just so we could say we flew it. Doh! Laughing

Then we'd be CEFINO. (CEF In Name Only). lol! lol! lol! lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:04 pm

None perceived Friend Very Happy ….Just acknowledging a job well done…. Agree with you, There would be many ways to model it that would be totally cool!!!

Love the B-24 you posted and have went over it a few times…. Then I tell myself, Look away…. Look away!!!! lol! lol! lol!

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:45 pm

The back story on that B-17. The matte black anti-glare in front of the cockpit and on the insides of the engines narcilles is always neat to reproduce on a model and they add a lot to the models character. I'm not sure if the black on the leading edges of the wing and tail section are anti icing boots or not. Maybe they post-date the B-17.

Guillows B-17...just wow! Scan_167
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:50 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I'm not sure if the black on the leading edges of the wing and tail section are anti icing boots or not.  Maybe they post-date the B-17.
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deicing_boot, deicing boots were developed in the late 1920's.
History wrote:Deicing boots were invented by the B.F. Goodrich Corporation in about 1929–1930 in Akron, Ohio. The work was begun by retired Ph.D chemist, William C. Geer. In its quest to develop deicing boots, the company built a large indoor facility in Akron to replicate bad weather and icing on aircraft wings.
Additional pay dirt, the original pilot's manual (free download):

https://jasonblair.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Pilots-Manual-for-Boeing-B-17-Flying-Fortress.pdf

PDF page 8 (manual Page 9) show diagram.
Guillows B-17...just wow! 2023-087

PDF page 20 (manual Page 19):
c. CONTROLS AT PILOT'S LEFT. wrote:(3) DE-ICER CONTROL. - The de-icer valve on the floor panel controls the operation of the surface de-icer shoes. In the "ON" position it starts the deicer distributor and connects the exhaust pressure from both vacuum pumps, and the suction from one vacuum pump to the distributor valve. In the "OFF" position the distributor motor is turned off and the pressure from the vacuum pumps is bypassed overboard. Suction remains connected to the distributor valve in order to keep the de-icer shoes deflated.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:30 pm

944_Jim wrote:Gents,

I don't think we've seen this one before...Enjoy:
https://youtu.be/Yq1Gb9XTupA

Jim, Thanks again for providing the weblink.

A couple of things I'd like to further point out to all who've watched the vid and/or have replied here; The builder of the model (a U-Control flyer) stated that the Guillow's instructions said to use "only two" Cox Babe Bee engines.. but he found that the model balanced perfectly with four engines.

Yes; tough to get all 4 engines sync'd... (I'm surprised that a tach wasn't obtained/used on either day..Huh... ) but nonetheless.....

Take note that this model (as built) will still fly (maintain altitude) with X3 engines-out.......... just like the full-scale aircrafts had reportedly done; often after sustaining punishing damage during the bombing missions of WWII. A testament mainly to the builder.. (for his mods applied to the kit...) but also to the Guillow's designer(s) of the kit.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:50 pm

And all this time I thought de-icers were heaters. Huh...

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next