Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Cox_ba12

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Empty
Live on Patrol

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy.

Go down

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Empty ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy.

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:08 pm

I like the engine. Just now. Sniper cost me a bit. Expected. Winter time project, haven't done one of these for awhile.

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Lotus10
ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Lotus_14
ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Lotus_13
ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Lotus_15
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Empty Re: ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy.

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:26 am

Looks good Bob. Everything's there and should clean up nicely. Main concern I have is the amount of corrosion to the engine. Head looks pretty crusty and hopefully the rust on the cylinder hasn't made its way to the piston & bore. I'm sure you'll have spares!!

One question I have, does it have a recoil starter? In that case, I guess you just pull it back a few inches and lift it to let it rip!

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Empty Re: ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy.

Post  getback Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:36 am

Crispy /crusty but i believe You Can Do It , bring it back to life ! Looks like 2021 was the last restore you did on one of these baby's , it had a rope pully on the right side wheel for starting . https://www.coxengineforum.com/t15745-wen-mac-049-lotus-restoration Let the good times roll ,
Very Happy lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:38 am

The design that broke the mold at Indianapolis. I love the 60's era, I believe more technology came out of that decade than any other time. While I'm a die hard Mopar enthusiast, Ford certainly had the best of the best in that era. I've owned a few of these Testors Indy cars. The most common version I see is the Sprite version which is white. I believe Testors also made the Jim Clark #82 Lotus car which was green.  As a kid, this car was very underwhelming. It was a success if you could just get one to run.  Due to being less knowledgeable, your interest lies in seeing it go and not actually making it work 100%. This car needs lead in it's chassis, the wheels are a hard like plastic somewhat rubber and they don't hook up correctly. The lead and I'm talking ounces helps with that. In addition, the control arms up front are extremely fragile.

The arms can break during  use so choose wisely the driving surface. As a kid though, the car was bouncing up and down practically doing a wheelie. This could've been the issue I encountered with the front end breaking. But, I had more than one of these puke the crankshaft out. Again, the intermittent slamming of the rear wheel onto the ground and into the air and back again, could certainly contributed to this.

I had a friend one block over who had a older brother. He saw me playing with mine and asked for me to stop over. I went over and he had several items boxed up for me. 2 Cox Eliminator dragsters, 1 Gurney Eagle and several Manx Dune buggy's and parts. In addition, he handed me the small Cox Pitts bipe in white. He never really knew how much that meant to me. The hours of enjoyment and excitement I received from those items. The Gurney Eagle was extremely fun. My dad painted painted it yellow for me and it was just the neatest car ever. It too required lots of lead in the belly.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:56 am

"I love the 60's era"

We share that Ken.

I was a big follower of Eddy Sachs and the big Watson specials.

Eddie Sachs; Born: Edward Julius Sachs, Jr. May 28, 1927 Allentown, Pennsylvania, U.S. Died: May 30, 1964 (aged 37) Speedway, Indiana, U.S. Champ Car career; 65 races run over 13 years: Years active: 1951, 1953–1964: Best finish: 2nd – 1961: First race: 1953 Golden State 100 : Last race: 1964 Indianapolis 500

I was watching that race when he lost his life.  Big pile-up on the first turn.  Stopped the race.  Decided to look him up on ebay and just made an offer on this:

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Eddy_s10

Jimmy Clark too.  I watched every race.

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Jim_cl11

I'm curious about the engine on the ebay Lotus.  Probably just stock, but it looks sleeved.  Max crud probably. Compared it with the ones I already have.  All bought very cheap.  I think I have a boxed new one on "The wall of Shame" but I never pay it any attention.

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. P1015680
ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. P1015679

Taking a day off from beating myself up on the ditch, dirt pile, burn pile.  Yesterday was the big push to finally clear off the ditch, briars sticking me and epic muscle strains last night convinced me that I'm not 75 anymore.  So the Cox P-51 Razorback gets some love today.

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. P1015686
ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. P1015685
ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. P1015684

Haven't forgotten the RX-7.  Transmission oil cooler bracket needs attention.

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. P1015687
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:47 am

Great purchase Bob, hopefully, the car restores well without breaking any parts.

Talking about Watson, it must be 30 years now, that I have a Bendix Scintilla magnéto off an Offenhauser engine. The cover is engraved "A.J. WATSON. L C" I believe it's authentic because I got from a chap who owned a Kurtis Offenhauser. I don't know whether LC stands for Leader Card or not... Maybe a mag from an Indianapolis 500 winning car?

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Img_2020

ebay Wen Mac Lotus - just a little crispy. Img_2022
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:56 am

Such a nice piece Lieven.  I like it!  I thought maybe LLC, but no.

Safety wire caught my attention.  We learned to do this in Airman prep school.  Science, twist must go in the right way, etc. etc.. Made a Dzus Key too.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:45 pm

A helicopter is a vibrating nightmare. Every nut, bolt, screw, etc. is safety wired, cotter pinned or Locktited. The "Jesus nut" that held the main rotor to the mast on the UH-1 Huey was torqued to 600 ft.-lbs. then lock-wired. (Loss of the nut meant the helicopter became a lawn dart.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down