Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Cox_ba12

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:10 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Empty
Live on Patrol

This is going to be fun! "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal

Go down

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Empty This is going to be fun! "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:28 am

I don't normally name my models but in this case I tagged this one after the river known as "The Big Muddy."  Kim knows it well.

Nicknamed the "Big Muddy," the Missouri River has long been one of America's most important natural resources. Every bend in the river is saturated in history. Her waters have offered a spiritual centerpiece for many American Indian tribes and have nurtured an astonishing amount of wildlife. The river served as the path for the Lewis and Clark expedition, later evolving to become the primary pathway for our country's western expansion. She has witnessed the rise and fall of the steamboat era and given birth to countless communities that settled near her banks

No such glory with this nasty ebay purchase,  ya buy junk some times you have to use brutal (a term I use a lot) measures to clean them up.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Lotus_17

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015729

TBC
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Empty Re: This is going to be fun! "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:34 pm

From the "Big Muddy" to the Big Sudzy.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015734
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015735
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015736

To the..........

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015742
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015740
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015741
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015738
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015739
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015737

Gears look good. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Empty Re: This is going to be fun! "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:34 am

Bob, good catch, well used but not abused, looks like it is cleaning up quite good from its previous parked after a mud run and never run again. Perhaps from a child who grew up, last run in high school, then off to college or military, then married with a family and career to manage after? Grandparents hoping his children may one day have an interest?

(Bit of speculating on its unknown past). Good resurrection going on, except for a little patina, see another being restored to its post showroom appearance. Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:59 am

Waiting on your magic!! That engine looks pretty crusty, though.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:01 pm

Thanks guys.  

Yes, played with.  I'm always happy to see that. Fulfulled it's mission.  Rear tires quite scuffed, started and dropped onto a driveway I suspect, ran though a mud puddle to much delight then put away.  

And Andrew, see what I can do about that.

This morning, started out with a visit to the local Family Practice.  First time in five years I have seen a doctor then only at my daughters prodding.  "You need your ears cleaned Dad, you're not hearing so well."  (Perhaps by design I thought.)  Both daughters (in their 60's) had theirs done.  So the usual stuff, all turning out normal for my age, including my ears which didn't need cleaning.  Got to hold that over them.  Smile

So, got home and started on the W/M Lotus.  Brought the worst half out to the garage and dumped them in Berrymans.  Engine a story in itself.  Totally locked up.  Heat got the needle out, but the spring came out in three pieces.  Same routine - Berrymans 20 minute soak, tooth brush, Simple Green, warm water rinse, compressed air blowout, Marvel Mystery Oil, and heat.  Removed the glow head.  

Filled the fuel tank with Berrymans until bubbles stopped, slopped it around and let it set.  Then blew it out with low volume compressed air.  Filled it again with Simple Green, blew that out.  Filled again with warm water and blew that out.  Result is a clean tank.  Black in the picture below.  The supply nipple did break off when I removed the tubing so it's another aerosol straw fix.  

Heat gun to a smoking engine, MMO in all ports.  Gear not a prop. so I used common slip joint pliers that fit amazinging well in the brass gear and with a wet rag on the case (HOT) slowly rocked the crank back and forth adding MMO as it freed.  Piston got to a certain point and stopped in both CW and CCW directions.  

I'm not forcing anything!!!  So, got out the Cox engine tool and inserted the fork fully through the exhaust openings, added more heat and bumped it with the palm of my hand loosening it but not easy.  Cylinder and piston a mess.  Hardened castor coated the top half of the cylinder and traced a vertical line on both sides of the piston.  I have never seen that before, usually it's a "window" where it came to a stop on the exhaust ports.  

Heat, MMO and fine steel wool removed most of it in the cylinder and on the piston.  One port on the two port cylinder was almost completely obstructed with crud. Took a carefully applied .22 caliber brass brush to remove it.  Passed a common pin through the NVA to ensure it was clear and put it back together.  Surprisingly good compression considering.  

Now, do the other half and fine clean with 91% alcohol.  Then reassemble.  Only new part I will need is a needle spring.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015744

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Wm_cru10

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015745
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:27 pm

Finished.

Still a little crusty but the engine is fine. The body is quite beat-up missing the trumpet exhaust pipes, rearview mirrors, and wheel protectors. Found an original needle valve spring in parts and was able to save enough of the fuel tanks nipple to attach the fuel line. Added some decals and at worst we have a penny waiting for change. Love it anyway. (Someone has to)

A hassle getting the suspension apart. None of the wheels would turn, all castor locked. Rear suspension the worst. The hexagon axle was castor locked within the suspension which runs in the machined round surfaces as the engine is locked to the axle through the gears.

I got one wheel off, enough to use a torch to free the rest, dicey as too much heat would also melt the plastic.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015746
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015747

Added some decals from stock and a strip of green vinyl tape provides driver glare protection.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015750
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015749
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015748

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015751

Not sure which one I like best, I'm a car guy who loves airplanes.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015752

Managed to squezze it in.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015753

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:23 pm

I may be resurrecting a dead horse here but I found an AJ Watson/Dean Van Lines Special Indy car powered by the ledgendary Offenhauser engine and modelled by Carousel on ebay.  Driven by Eddy Sachs in the 1960's but not the car that he lost his life in in 1964.  I was watching that race live when it happened.

Also significant as it was the last race won by the traditional Indy racer, after that it was all rear engine cars, Lotus powered by Ford mostly.  Jimmy Clark etc..

Seller had it listed for awhile at a reasonable price but with make an offer, which I did and which he ignored.  A week passed and he contacted me with "Resubmit your offer."  Ok, did and accepted.  Probably would not have except I followed Eddy Sachs in all his races.

A nice compliment to the Lotus.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Sachs_10
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Eddy_s11
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Eddy_s12
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:26 pm

Seeing these cars makes one wonder how it felt to see a race live back in the day with them. Even the sounds muct have been something to remember.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:57 pm

Arrived today and I'm quite pleased with it although it doesn't do anything for me other than being an attractive shelf-sitter.  Carousel, made in China a new one on me.  Obvious quality and a step up from normal offerings in this venue.  Nicely detailed, heavy and all metal, The hood removes showing the engine, also the front wheels turn and it's numbered.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015762
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015761

Smaller than the Wen Mac Lotus and Cox Thimble Drome cars.  Around 1/32nd or less I would guess.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015765
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015764
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015763

Only one that put me to work was the yellow Prop Rod.  A mess when I got it.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015766

But the little Thimble Drome .045 remains the favorite.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015767

Last edited by rsv1cox on Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:02 pm

The Lotus cleaned up nicely Bob, And the Deans Vans Line Indy car is really cool with a lot of detail….I need to make it over to the Permian Basin Petroleum Museum one of these days…..about an hour’s drive from me…. It has a display of Jim Hall-Chaparral racers that would be fun to see …. From their web site…

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Acebb110
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:12 pm

Jim Hall, quite a history.  

Thought it interesting to post pictures of the evolution of Indy cars.

Mauri Rose of 1941

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Mauri_10

Graham Hill of 1966

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal 1966_g10

The STP Turbine car

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal Stp_tu10

1978 Al Unser/Jim Hall car

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal 1978_a10

Todays radical

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal 2022-i10

In contrast, the down-to-earth vehicle that serviced my tractor yesterday.  Spotless and just as well kept as the best Indy car.

This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015770
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015768
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015769
This is going to be fun!  "The Big Muddy" AKA W/M Lotus - Brutal P1015771
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down