Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Been too busy to fly or run small engines Cox_ba12

Been too busy to fly or run small engines Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Been too busy to fly or run small engines Empty
Live on Patrol

Been too busy to fly or run small engines

Go down

Been too busy to fly or run small engines Empty Been too busy to fly or run small engines

Post  944_Jim Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:54 pm

Hi guys,

Know that I've been lurking from time to time over the last few months. I've been too busy to play with my airplane toys or share much. I apologize for my silence.

A few months ago my peer at work quit. It was tough as we are both skilled and experienced in our craft, and Boss man had straddled me with additional duties requiring more than one man should do. In fact, "Uncle Sam" decided the additional duty was actually enough to be a separate full time job. Since I had been doing it for the last 3.5 years, it was expected that I'd get the new, , higher paying job. My peer left when a different promotion opportunity presented. So I have been left doing the work of three. So I've been doing the work of three guys...This ain't the first time! Finally our two replacements started last week, so I can finally concentrate on the new job...and only the one job. Phew!

In that time, I've repaired my oldest son's New Years Eve acquisition...a 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650 that had been wrecked, but repaired cheaply. Kiddo got the bike for a really good price, so I ok'd the purchase but told him he couldn't ride it until he passed the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic Rider course. The PO basically zip-tied the bodywork together and beat the inner fairing stays to make the bike look ok. I certainly didn't want Kiddo getting creamed by bodywork falling off under the wheels, so I tore the bike down to the frame and running gear and spent a lot of time putting it back together correctly. His 1994 Jeep also needed a ton of work, so I spent weekends working on it so he could drive it safely and reliably. Let's just say he didn't inherit the "mechanic gene." Kiddo goes to Maxwell Air Force Base tomorrow to start AFROTC field training.

While all this was going on, I spied a Facebook Marketplace ad for an old Honda Interceptor. However, the ad didn't show a V4 bike from the 80's. It DID show a one-year issue 1983 Honda CB1100F in really and shape. After a couple of FB messages, I learned this was a failed engine replacement from almost 20 years ago. To call it rough would be an understatement. My own CB1100F (owned since 1987) needs an engine overhaul, so I offered the guy a reasonable amount for what is basically a spare engine with really solid, but ugly cases. So the Thursday and Friday before Memorial Day weekend I drove seven hours each way to go inspect and hopefully buy the bike. Since the engine was described as "not as good as we thought it was" by the seller, I got it for song. Kiddo took the MSF BRC the same weekend, and came home Sunday afternoon to show me his certificate and ask for the bike key. I and just finished hanging new tires on it Saturday PM, so I told him "no speeding around corners!" He was gone for 3 hours, but made it home safely.

While all of this was going on, Dan McEntee mentioned he has a J Roberts Cobra and Sabre. These are probably 65 year old kits designed to fly throttled engines with the J Roberts 3-line bellcrank. I have the kit on loan so I can trace parts, and scan the enclosed plansheet and factory literature. The scans are done. The tracings aren't. Thanks Mr. Dan. I planned on doing this during the 4rh of July time off work. Sorry, Mr. Dan, my oldest son brought the Jeep home so "we" could recover his headline in USAF DigiCam cloth.

Between the boy sweating his butt of pulling interior panels and sniffing adhesive, I worked on the CB1100F. Stripping-out the ignition wiring from an eBay procured CB900F wiring harness I was able to set up a test ignition system and my carbs to run the engine. Cold, but wet (tablespoon of oil per cylinder) compression after several minutes of hand-cranking the sparkplug-less engine yielded 210 psi on jugs 1/4, #2 was down at 120 psi, and #3 was 90 psi. Not awful considering this hunk hadn't run since the early 2000's. So I reinstalled the plugs, and hooked it up to my car vai jumper cables. Number three hole backfired out the intake during testing. I hope to have only stuck rings and a few tight valves.

With all the rain we've been getting in Mississippi the last few weeks, I wouldn't dare to put a shop fan in front of the engine for longer runs, but that is next. I plan on checking valve clearances after a couple off five-minute runs, and then checking compression. If the compression evens out across the four cylinders and the valves don't leak, my wife will be ok with me swapping out my worn engine for this ugly one. Otherwise, the engine will be stored for another day.

Wifey has been very patient this year. I was actually supposed to be working on her Porsche this spring/summer. So I really do need to make sure she feels appreciated since all the other stuff has been pushing the Porsche to the bottom of the list.

Like the Terminator says, "I'll be back!"

So for all you gearheads, here is run #1:

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Been too busy to fly or run small engines Empty Re: Been too busy to fly or run small engines

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:31 pm

You jogged my memory, Jim. I need to get my 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 touring bike up and running again, slacked off during Covid. Am taking it easy to allow my back to heal up again. Didn't hurt it like a year ago, when I had surgery, but weakened a little. Know i can't push things. Like your 4 banger bike, I like it because once a roll the throttle hard, the cars behind me disappear.

Road and Track 22 years ago clocked it at 12.6 seconds in the quarter mile stock off the showroom floor with a little bit of a break in. Probably a little slower than your bike with all the plastic storage and hard fairing, but still fun nontheless.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Been too busy to fly or run small engines Empty Re: Been too busy to fly or run small engines

Post  Ken Cook Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:55 am

I just finished repairing my Kawasaki 1500 A model. The rear rocker case developed a leak. This was a major repair, the dealer was asking a bit over $2000 to repair. I did it myself and I have to say there were times I wished I didn't. The engine had to be removed and this was a huge undertaking. The bike is a California emissions bike. There is more hoses and crap which essentially had to be removed as well. I managed to remove the engine which took nearly 10 hours but putting everything back together was more than a additional 30 hours. Once back together, it wasn't running correctly, first problem was the carb slides were hanging up. This was due to cable routing. Second problem was a wire got damaged in removal. The coil packs are so difficult to remove, I left them in and the engine scarred a wire on the way out of the frame. I replaced the wire but carbon core was not the solution. I ended up replacing all of them with new copper core and were back in action. I rode it last night for about 40 miles and it was quite rewarding.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:38 am

Our lives are parallel Jim, after 20 years in the Navy I retired and went to work for the Federal Civil Service. Years in I was told I was doing such a good job as head of the Audiovisual Section that they were giving me the Reports Processing Section as well. 21 people all together, Ok until it comes time to fill out yearly performance reviews. Pencil weary.

Good times father and son. We did a pair of non-running Hondas reported here some time ago. Continues with the Mazda RX-7.

Been too busy to fly or run small engines P1015743

Dan sold me the Gilbert Musketeer completeing my Gilbert collection. Nice guy.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:00 am

Bob, I got one step up from your Honda S90, 1971 CB100. Sweet spot was around 40 MPH (66 km/h), wide open 55 MPH (90 km/h). Loved it because it was my only ride in college, much safer than a moped, could outrun cars in Honolulu city traffic with its 5 speed manual transmission.

Now sports a CB125S motor, which has a few more poneys. (Totally wore out the already worn out engine, overhauled the CB125 motor, it had been bored to 1 mm oversized rings and piston.) Only thing bad was the engine vibration through the handle bars at high RPM's was tiring on the hands.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:44 pm

While not a bike rider myself, I have had a few in my days and liked to drive them around the block or locally in town...... All 3 were Honda motorcycles. Unfortunately no pictures....

1967 Honda S90
1968 Honda CL70
1969 Honda CL90
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:56 pm

Ken Cook wrote:..............I rode it last night for about 40 miles and it was quite rewarding.

After a difficult rebuild, the pudding is always sweeter.
a--
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down