Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Brodak Baby Ringmaster Cox_ba12

Brodak Baby Ringmaster Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rsv1cox Today at 7:41 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 6:10 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Brodak Baby Ringmaster Empty
Live on Patrol

Brodak Baby Ringmaster

Go down

Brodak Baby Ringmaster Empty Brodak Baby Ringmaster

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:22 am

I recently attended our last swap meet of the year. We used to have one the Sunday after Thanksgiving and I certainly miss that. It was a good time to have it and I always looked forward to it. However, renting the firehouse hall became increasingly expensive, guys have gotten older, and just the lack of attendance brought a very enjoyable day to a stop. While the attendance was low at our current location, the items the attendees brought were high quality items. I have a lot of 1/2A stuff dormant on the shelves and I wanted a quick build for one of my engines. I purchased this Baby Ringmaster for $50. I was thinking, I'm out of my mind but it would've been + $70 from Brodak.

I purchased it 2 weeks ago and I opened it last evening. I should've looked closer at this model prior to buying. I opened the plans and immediately noticed the no room for a fuel tank behind the engine. Keep in mind this is the newly redesigned kit for beam mounted engines.  I was highly disappointed and I kept my head high and moved on to the rest of the kit. Leading edge is solid and hard. While it might be a bit heavy, I was very satisfied with this part with the exception it was really bowed.

The trailing edge is so bad I threw it right in the trash. Absolutely useless punk wood which has no integrity whatsoever. The fuselage even though laser cut, took multiple knife passes to get it out. I found that quite poor and the wood was badly charred. Now that the fuselage is too short due to no tank area, the doublers provided were now also too short which now has me throwing out 2/3's of the kit. I now have a rib kit which cost me $50. The elevator is ok but I would've preferred better.

Essentially, if one was to use a integral tanked bee this plane would be satisfactory. Pat King does a exceptional job at providing high quality good fitting kits. I could kick myself for not going that route. I jumped on something without looking and now I have a useless turd in a box.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Brodak Baby Ringmaster Empty Re: Brodak Baby Ringmaster

Post  Eddy Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:31 pm

Hi Ken, If it is of interest to you, Outer Zone has a revised Baby Ringmaster plan with a beam mount. I built it several years ago along with a little thicker wing, going from 5/8 in. to 7/8 in thick. There is, 3 & 5/8 in. from the leading edge to the end of the beam mount, plenty of room for the motor of choice. I flew with a Cub .049 that has a glow head on it along with a 1/2 oz wedge tank. Used a 1/4 oz in the wing tip for weight. and trimed the tail with 1/8 oz wt. for stunting.The glo head Cubs had a redesigned piston with a round turned con rod along with a new cylinder that gave it a little higher compression ratio I believe. I hope this helps you some, good luck. Eddy
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:26 pm

Eddy, thanks for the information. I think what bothers me the most is the cost. Obviously, times have changed and costs have risen but it's impractical anymore. Sterling models was relatively close to me. The Baby Ringmaster was $5.95 when I started purchasing them and the larger .35 size was $19. This was many years ago but when you think about it today the Brodak baby Ringmaster is over $70. It's as if the world has gone absolutely nuts. I can remake the fuse and replace the trailing edge but when your paying what I feel is astronomical money, you shouldn't have to do this.

I purchased many many Walter Umland kits. Many called me foolish and felt why would you spend the money for a kit. If you ever had the pleasure of building one, it needs no explanation. Lately, I've been passing off most of my planes and selling off a few because I want to make room for the kits I've retained.

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:23 pm

It's a little late, but I whole heartedly recommend the Willie Nillies Baby Ringmaster.  I've built the BRM and used two wing kits to build my Wildcat and Hamp planes.  It's only $29.95 and if you are military/retired/first responder he gives a discount.  I think it's 5% (here).  They fly great.  I can't fly it to its potential, but I had the field hotshot take it up and wring it out.

The Winging-It Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:28 pm

batjac wrote:It's a little late, but I whole heartedly recommend the Willie Nillies Baby Ringmaster.  I've built the BRM and used two wing kits to build my Wildcat and Hamp planes.  It's only $29.95 and if you are military/retired/first responder he gives a discount.  I think it's 5% (here).  They fly great.  I can't fly it to its potential, but I had the field hotshot take it up and wring it out.

The Winging-It Mark
Mark , I was just getting ready to suggest them . Although, I didn’t know about the military discount. I bought several and also they sell just the wing kit. I stocked up on those too
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:18 am

That is disappointing $50 for a 3rd of a kit and having to make the rest of it with your wood , Yes everything has gone nuts it seem even if stuff didn't cost no more to make/manufacture they just jack the price up because everything else has Sad I hate going to the grocery store anymore !! Well at least you can make it work with your skills and sure it will fly as intended Cool
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Droobie Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:16 am

Hey Ken- I don’t have enough posts yet to send you a Pm, but I wanted to reach out about the upcoming ringmaster event. My dad and I met you a few weeks ago at the Cumberland Co swap meet, and you gave me the prop off your Flite Streak after we talked your ear off in the hot sun for an hour. If you can, send me one so we can catch up? Thanks!
Droobie
Droobie
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down