Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Cox_ba12

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Today at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Empty
Live on Patrol

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada

Go down

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Empty Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada

Post  rsv1cox Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:54 pm

On auctions the word rare always scares me off.  But I have a vested interest in this ebay offering.  I had served in a Douglas AD-6 "Skyraider" squadron in the mid 1950's.  I have heard those big radials turn over, watched the airplane taxi out and take off.  I have also started and reved-up a very similar engine in a Grumman F4U Corsair.  Unforgetable.  

So, when I saw this ebay offering I had to have it even though I have sworn-off buying anymore plastic airplanes.  The fact that you seldom if ever see one for sale also entered into it.  I have never seen another.

But, Cox owns the AD-6 model.  I have two, one NIB another a runner. In my prejuiced mind the best C/L model that Cox ever put out.  

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016547

Mark Boesen is the authority on Wen Mac models and a collector, I hope that I wasn't bidding against him.  I made my bid in the last 20 seconds and another bidder hit it twice more in those last seconds.  Pricey but worth it.  

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10376p25-wen-mac-story

Auctoned as new but someone went wild with the stars and bars and unnecessary trim.  I hope my decal remover solution works.  Throttled engine, probably the Wen Mac standard found in my throttled Wen Mac P-26's.

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Wm_ad-12
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Wm_ad-10
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Wm_ad-11

VA-42 was a training squadron based at Ocean Virginia, I wasn't assigned but served at that base for four years with the AD-4 Skyhawk flight simulator.  Check out my avatar picture.

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Dougla14
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Dougla13
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Empty Re: Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:48 pm

Got it today, like four days from end of auction.  FedEx, put's USPS to shame.

This fellow knows how to box and pack.  Left him positive feedback.

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016581
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016583
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016582

Took it apart, no heat required. (soldering iron on the self-tapping screws)  It had been ran, some castor goo on the interior.  Despite what the wing leadout indicator shows there is no throttle on the engine.  I do have one I could use, thinking about that.  

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016584
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016585

This is strange, I found the same plane on WorthPoint not by the seller but by someone else.  Different pictures, different discription.  Asked the seller about it.

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Worthp10

Wouldn't you know it, a whole bunch of plastic/balsa airplanes show up on ebay. A blue Cox AD-6, A Royal Spitfire powered (balsa) Bi-plane and a very rare Aurora P-47.

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Cox_ad10
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Royal_10
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Auror117

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Empty Re: Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada

Post  rsv1cox Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:07 pm

While plastic go-arounds don't excite many, they are still an important part of the control line scene.  Many of us (but not me) have been introduced to control line flying through them, some never to return by disappointing experiences.  I was lucky enough to start with Walt's Scientific designs.  

But that does not discount the contribution that Plastics has made to our hobby.  Affordability and instant gratification are a couple.  I think I have at least one example (except Comet) plastic C/L model made in the US.  Aurora is far and away the best for detail and design, Wen Mac for diversity, Cox, well that engine! Gilbert, beautiful airframe, heavy engine. I still am impressed by the architecture employed by each manufacturer.  Basically the same but using different approaches.

This Wen Mac Douglas AD-6 (later A-1) is a fun comparison with the same model Cox.  To early to get into it now, but maybe later.  

Whoever had it before applied decals that were either incorrect or misplaced and they had to go.  A warm water soapy soak loosened the color enough to peel it off,  Berryman's and 91% alcohol did the rest.  

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016587
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016588
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016586

True to Wen Mac form the fuel tank nipple had broken off.  Aerosol straw will fix it.  Fuel tank got a cleaning with Berryman's and a hot water rinse. Filler and vent are subject to castor blocking too.  Needles down the stack ensure function. No fuel, no go.  

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016590
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016589

The engine and starter were castor locked, Berryman's and heat cured that.  And yet another different Wen Mac engine case, I have never seen an off the shoulder designator design like this.

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016591
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016593
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016592

Different needle too.  First one I have seen with a flat milled into the end.  Position feel maybe.

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016595

Oh yes, Forgot.  My son sent me this picture.  I remember those airplanes.  Probably touched them at one time.  409 and 411.  I worked on the second level in administration.  I could type.....learned in high school because that's where the girls were. (Future wife too) I used to go down and talk with the mechanics and pilots.  Contemptious of jets - "Sucking Air and blowing Smoke" they would say.  Smile

I can see Commander Harlan Foote (Commanding Officer VA-35) in the lead plane. I typed out a lot of things for his signature.

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada 409_an10

Going over to my Son's house tomorrow, taking my daughters.  We are all going to the Fire House there for breakfast to celebrate Veterans Day.  Going to wear my VA-35 hat.  Mark was in VA-35 also coincidencely and also served on the Nimitz.

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016596
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:52 am

Well, my prized Wen Mac....ultra-rare AD-6 Skyraider isn't getting much (any) love, but I'm still going to keep banging away at it because I think that it's neat.  

The added trim probably created in the head of a 12 year old had to go.  I replaced the orange paper backed wing tip trim with red vinyl electrical tape and removed the misplaced decals on both upper and lower surfaces of the horizontal stab..  I also substituted a throttled engine for the non-throttled version and replaced the broken fuel tank nipple with an aerosol straw cut to length and cemented it in.  Progressivly larger drill bits up to 3/32" the diameter of the straw doesn't damage the plastic..  Overnight cure of the Testors.  

I took some comparison pictures with the Cox version.  The Wen Mac model is bigger and heavier and has more features.  The bomb release is a simple flexible release flap which a control line threads into, about the same action as the throttle control line.  The plastic on the Cox version has yellowed over time, even the NIB protected example while the W/M finish has held up well.  Elevator control exits from under the wing on the Cox, which I like.  The W/M line from above the wing which looks rather clunky.  

I still haven't found another example of the Wen Mac Skyraider or the MkVIII engine.

Ah.......I found a MKVIII running

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=wen+mac+mkVIII&mid=F3E6BDF0377E3278408AF3E6BDF0377E3278408A&FORM=VIRE

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016609
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016610
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016608
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Worthp11

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016611
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016612
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Wm_ad-13

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016613
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016614
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016615
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:13 am

I was going to let this thread die a natural death but I thought this add-on interesting.

My son was over the other day and reminded me that he had found me a Gilbert "Bombs Away" set and the bombs might fit on the Wen Mac AD-6. Dug it out and they do however a bit out-sized. Same tab friction fit as found on the W/M bomb. Pull the string and the bomb drops.

He also reminded me that he had given me a Gilbert "Stooge" which might do for the P-38. Probably not, it's new in the box and I don't want to get it all castor goo so Ill be going with the catapult ramp under construction.

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016619
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada P1016620
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:20 am

Just another fine example of a great 'restoration'! I really like the Skyraider as well. Never saw one in real life, but first saw them when they 'saved some bacon' in Flight Of The Intruder. Just something about their size and shape that drew me in I guess.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:45 am

NEW222 wrote:Just another fine example of a great 'restoration'! I really like the Skyraider as well. Never saw one in real life, but first saw them when they 'saved some bacon' in Flight Of The Intruder. Just something about their size and shape that drew me in I guess.

Thanks Chancey for breaking the ice. Wen Mac/Gilbert doesn't get much love here on the Cox Engine Forum. Smile Smile

Mark Boesen is a big fan though.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:41 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Wen Mac/Gilbert doesn't get much love here on the Cox Engine Forum.  Smile Smile Mark Boesen is a big fan though.
Bob, I don't think it is a matter of love, it is more related to what people here are familiar with and have played with. However all things considering, your posts has made us all aware of the Gilberts and Wen Mac RTF models and engines that I didn't even know. My brother had the last of the Wen Mac F4U Corsair (in shiny chrome back in Christmas 1966), but your posts made me aware of its long legacy history from the 1950's.

So, it has made me appreciate my Gilbert motor collection even more so. Wink Very Happy I Love This Forum!

@Kim has shown us the practical run aspects of the Gilberts on his various videos he's shown of his (I think, mind fuzzy - comes with age Wink ) Lazy Bee powered by the Gilberts. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:01 pm

@Kim has shown us the practical run aspects of the Gilberts on his various videos he's shown of his (I think, mind fuzzy - comes with age Wink ) Lazy Bee powered by the Gilberts.

I believe your right George. I noticed his post from long ago and thought...a miracle....Kim got two of them to run at the same time. I believe one was a 7 the other a 11.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:17 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I believe one was a 7 the other a 11.  
Bob, yes, he had both mounted in parallel, similar to the Cri-Cri, one of the smallest real aircraft around. (Cri-Cri is the sound a cricket makes in Spanish and possibly French.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colomban_Cri-cri
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:41 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:I believe one was a 7 the other a 11.  
Bob, yes, he had both mounted in parallel, similar to the Cri-Cri, one of the smallest real aircraft around. (Cri-Cri is the sound a cricket makes in Spanish and possibly French.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colomban_Cri-cri

Have you seen the new "flying car"? Switchblade or something like that........................
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:14 am

Bob,
Don't stop posting. I'm sure there are more people watching than you know. Unfortunately this site doesn't show a "views" counter.

Know that you post remarkable restorations that do inspire us to "do things." Sometimes what you do is just so clean, fabulous, out-of-this-world that any more words from "the peanut gallery" might just sully the work and documentation.

I'm digging this overhaul. I wish I had fewer responsibilities and more personal time. I'd love to add a Wen-Mac or Testors engine to my collection because you make the marque look so interesting.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:38 am

944_Jim wrote:Unfortunately this site doesn't show a "views" counter.
It does if you click on MORE LATEST TOPICS at the bottom of the LATEST TOPICS list on the left menu bar (desktop web version).
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada 2023-116
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:59 am

Don't feel badly Jim, I did not know that site existed within the forum either. Not that I thought much about it.

BTW........Thanks for the "Atta boy".........Smile I post a lot of stuff. Too much maybe.....I ought to keep my keyboard shut! This is the only forum that I visit so I might post to excess.

Jacob to his credit established an "Off Topic" option and I take advantage. "One does not live by bread alone." Diversity I believe helps keep this forum alive and active. I would hate to see it die due to lack of interest or participation.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:19 pm

Well, well, well! As of this morning this thread had over 300 views. See, Bob, we do pay attention. Keep those fingers nimble and the projects visible.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:40 am

Neat. My brother in law restored a 90's Cox Skyraider with Plastex. Greatest stuff ever for plastic repair.
He restored it to Glossy Sea Blue paint and markings from my dad's squadron during the Korean War, VF-194.
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:05 pm

stuntflyr wrote:Neat. My brother in law restored a 90's Cox Skyraider with Plastex. Greatest stuff ever for plastic repair.
He restored it to Glossy Sea Blue paint and markings from my dad's squadron during the Korean War, VF-194.
Chris...

Hi Chris,

I had heard about Plastex but never used it.  Looked it up on ebay

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Plasti13
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Pastix10

Not cheap and shipping @ $23+ isn't either.  Must be some hasmat in there somewhere.  But, if it works the results are worth it.  I believe your Dad's squadron flew the F2H Banshee.  I remember them from Pensacola.  Neat aircraft.

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Xf2d_110
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:49 pm

They could have at another time. I believe they were an F-4 squadron when it was disbanded. During Dad's cruise they flew the Skyraider AD-3 and -4's. Interestingly, the ship's company were a quartet of foto recon Banshees. He said they only flew at night and were all lost by the time the ship went home. USS Boxer, Task Force 77, 1953 .
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:42 pm

Hi Bob, Great post, i need to check in more often!
The Testors Skyraider is pretty rare and pretty cool! I remember an article in Flying Models (?) early 70's somebody building a semi-scale stunt ship of the Skyraider)
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada S-l16020
Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada 93357610

Here's mine, total rebuild from two baskets, needs decals:

Unusual Wen Mac model - "Rare" yada yada Ebay_111
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:22 pm

Enjoy a Cox Skyraider flight… 😬

https://youtu.be/ydulMG0i1zg?si=LJRNIpAcxhmIJtG8
Jerry
Jerry
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:27 am

Jerry wrote:Enjoy a Cox Skyraider flight… 😬

https://youtu.be/ydulMG0i1zg?si=LJRNIpAcxhmIJtG8

Good one! Thankfully the three bladed prop has that spring starter, I have been bit by them a few times.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:31 am

That was a good flight and Greased the landing ! Good Fun ! St.Pats Beers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Greenman38633 Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:59 pm

Hello Bob. Just caught on to this Topic. Nice planes. Earlier you said that the Skyraider was Cox best C/L plane. Is that because of its flying qualities ? Thanks. Mark
Greenman38633
Greenman38633
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:18 pm

Greenman38633 wrote:Hello Bob.  Just caught on to this Topic.  Nice planes.  Earlier you said that the Skyraider was Cox best C/L plane.  Is that because of its flying qualities ?   Thanks.  Mark

Accuracy in detail and quality Mark. I never flew one. But I have seen youtube videos of it flying C/L along with my R/C Airfield model, both pretty fantastic especially the Airfield model. The flyer did everything with it, and fast..really fast. That electric motor really tore up my knee, still is healing and sore.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Greenman38633 Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:32 pm

Oh I’m sorry.  I didn’t hear about your injury.  Hoping you will have a quick recovery
Greenman38633
Greenman38633
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down