Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

WL917 mini RC Sprint Boat Cox_ba12

WL917 mini RC Sprint Boat Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by getback Today at 2:32 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

WL917 mini RC Sprint Boat Empty
Live on Patrol

WL917 mini RC Sprint Boat

Go down

WL917 mini RC Sprint Boat Empty WL917 mini RC Sprint Boat

Post  roddie Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:08 pm

Should I have posted in "Models and Modelling"? I dunno.. but I recently purchased (via Amazon Prime) a small RC scale-model of a Sprint Boat. A Sprint Boat uses vectored-thrust similar to how a ducted-fan propulsion-system works for aircraft. The boat's "pump" is internal and there's an intake opening in the bottom of the hull.. which the pump-housing interfaces. There's a watertight seal there. The hull is smooth.. all the way from stem to stern. No rudder.. no exposed propeller or strut. Instead.. there's a "nozzle" protruding from the center of the transom.. which expels water from a "pump"... driven by a high-speed motor. There is a propeller and shaft... except the propeller is generally referred to; as an "impeller" when discussing pumps. It's a very similar propulsion-system that you'll find in full-scale personal watercraft.. like a Wave Runner.  

Because there are no "exposed" conventional drive components; a craft with this type of drive can operate in the "shallows".. with much less concern for damage via fouling on the bottom. Less tangling on weeds.... as opposed to an exposed drive also.

So......... it's a niche-drive for the model-boat enthusiast.. but I really enjoy watching the full-scale sprint-boats run.

Here's a really "short" vid.. that pretty much sums-up what the sprint-boat is.. for those of you who don't know.

The boat that I recently bought cost me $31.00. It's a "WL917" (model name)... and it seems to be in direct competition with the original Pro-Boat "Sprint Jet" variant which lists forf $90.00 through my source. Both models are the same size (about 9" length 4" beam)

A few photos of mine.. It's small but came with a nice zippered case. I was impressed by that.

WL917 mini RC Sprint Boat 20231214

WL917 mini RC Sprint Boat 20231215

WL917 mini RC Sprint Boat 20231217

WL917 mini RC Sprint Boat 20231216

The lights (LED) atop the roll-bar work... which is kinda cool..

Here's someone's YouTube vid; reviewing the WL917

(deleted for inappropriate language..)

There's several YouTube vids... on upping the power via installing brushless motor/ESC.. yada yada yada..

IMO.... the OEM/stock model can exceed the full-scale speed without modification.

There are jet-pump/drive-kits out there currently, for brushed 540 elec. motors for less than $50.00 that might be candidates for .049 glow-engine power. I was searching them.. when I came upon this little boat.

I'd love to simulate a scale Sprint Boat circuit. Wouldn't it be cool... to build boats that were powered by Cox engines!!!

Last edited by roddie on Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:16 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : alternate review vid..)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

WL917 mini RC Sprint Boat Empty Re: WL917 mini RC Sprint Boat

Post  Ken Cook Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:39 pm

We need plans for a Donzi Sweet 16.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:24 am

Very good model Very Happy  I have a Lama helicopter of WLtoys.

Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:38 am

Watching that video makes me think of Red Bull air races in boat form. Pretty cool
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:44 am

That little boat is really neat! Something young kids could drive without mangling the propeller. I was impressed that the motor was water cooled. Looks like the modified model in the video could hit 12-15mph or so. I imagine that the full sized sprint boats end up on shore sooner or later.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:17 pm

706jim wrote:That little boat is really neat! Something young kids could drive without mangling the propeller. I was impressed that the motor was water cooled. Looks like the modified model in the video could hit 12-15mph or so. I imagine that the full sized sprint boats end up on shore sooner or later.

yea.. definitely neat Jim. Smile especially for $31.00 through Amazon Prime.. (free shipping).. My wife (Lynne) has the Prime account through a work perk.. so $31.00 was total-cost to me. I've been sourcing a few modelling needs on that account as of late. Supplies/tools for my muffler design.. mainly.

Most of these little later-model RC boats have water-cooling, which surprised me. This model has a brushed 370 series can-motor.. which seems to deliver scale-like performance. I don't see the need for upgrading to a brushless-system except for extreme applications; such as heading upstream in swift currents. That would be fun I suppose.. and there's only the "hull" to be concerned with; as far as bottoming-out.

The full-scale Sprint Boats certainly do wipe-out.. but are probably safer than many other types of high-performance racing-boats.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down