Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Cox_ba12

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:39 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Empty
Live on Patrol

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Empty Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:20 pm

Until I get these out of my head, let me consolidate all into just one thread hopefully saving space here.  Those following my "Silver Wind" thread already know the history of these anyway.  

Big Guy.  During a three hour power outage here it gave me time to detail it a bit.  Simple Green, a screwdriver bumped in the correct place removed the castor laden canopy, Berryman's did the engine.  Turned out nice.  Yellow 6/6 prop is pull-though only. Waiting for a spinner.

Silver Guy.  Wing - Minwax sanding sealer, three coats sanded, aluminum paint also three coats - Looking for wing treatments.  

Symbol for silver diammine fluoride.  Probably some in your mouth right now. Left wing maybe.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Diammi10

Or maybe just silver bars in an oval.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Silver58

Wounded Guy.  Came with a badly mis-shaped right side horizontal stab.  Heat gun, clamps and luan removed 90% of it.  A NIB unfueled un-ran airplane. Still a work in progress.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017276

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017279

Family portrait

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017278
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017277

Oh heck, forgot to include Original Guy -

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017281
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017280

That last 10%

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017282

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Empty Re: Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.

Post  rsv1cox Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:34 pm

Found a spinner for the Big Guy.  Enterprise assortment kit.  Cheap but fills a hole.  I will replace it when the originals show up.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017283

Took the Wounded Guy as far as I can.  Passable but just barely.  I have flown some in worse condition.  To bad as it's a new model.  Unusual to see that amount of distortion limited to just one small area. Rest of the airplane is perfect.  Light dust-off and that's it.  No need to remove the engine.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017284

Silver Guy.  Get's just the Silver Fluoride symbol. No further decoration.  Somebody, somewhere down the line is going to have questions.   Clean my glasses

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017291

New Guy, Orange Guy, Dusty Guy.  Not sure where the PO kept it - under a bed maybe - but vacuuming is necessary.  You could grow tomatos.  Nicely boxed, saved manufacturers box from postal damage.  Masking tape comes off with a little heat gun application.  

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017286
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017287
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017285

Family has grown, or is that groan.  (Testors vice Cox) P-51 and F4U Corsair are true blister pack Fly-ems.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017289

Box shows it as a part of Testor's "Fly-em" series.  But it's larger by half and boxed instead of a blister pack.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017288
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Empty Re: Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.

Post  akjgardner Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:15 pm

Looking good Bob, I think I caught a bug from you , I just won a testors p-40 with no vertical or horizontal tail and no landing gear, it’s , how do you say ……. Crusty … Very Happy
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:15 am

akjgardner wrote:Looking good Bob, I think I caught a bug from you , I just won a testors p-40 with no vertical or horizontal tail and no landing gear, it’s , how do you say ……. Crusty … Very Happy

Thanks Joe, the investments are small and the rewards great.  I love to see these hopeless causes come together.  Next time find one with a beat-up box and join Charles and me in the wonderful world of box repair.  Almost as interesting as fixing up the model itself.  Witness below.  

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017292

It's interesting to see Testors packaging evolve from a rather complicated early box through a more simple box to just plain blister pack.  The orange plane with the early box, a mixture of folds, tabs and slots. Later, (the black plane) just a simple fold flat box to the cheap to manufacture blister pack. Gotta get me one of those.

Testors down-sized everything, from the eight page newpaper size instructions to a magazine size to a paper size stuck inside the blister.  

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017293
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017295
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017294
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017296

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017297

What's the solvent for masking tape adhesive?  Acetone?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:12 pm

solvent - lighter fluid

https://www.amazon.com/Ronson-ounce-Ronsonol-Lighter-Fuel/dp/B0017X1NGO/

i think I learned that trick from you?
on a cotton swab,
FIRST CHECK somewhere on a flap or fold, to be positive it wont affect the printing,

then dab it all over the tape - let it soak a little, and the tape peels right off.
Q-tip to scrub the remaining adhesive from the box.

YOU!!! YOU are the one who broke my brain, and now I know how, and enjoy restoring boxes Smile Smile Smile
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:26 pm

Smile Smile  But I removed the masking tape with a heat gun, heat with one hand pull with the other.  Lighter fluid.  I don't have that, maybe butane, got that.  

I received two of the three ebay Testors McCoy .049 engines today different engines but both .049's.  Externally both are different but internally both the same with two intake flutes. One, with the attached fuel tank/mount is used on the larger Cosmic Wind, the other on the smaller "pipe bomb" Fly-em (top end) and other Testors airplanes.  Interesting to research, but raises questions.  Both the same porting/displacement but the larger 22" WS CW must be more powerful.

The larger CW engine has an attached fuel tank/mount with an interesting fuel pick-up.  Notice the fueling port and the pick-up tube guide positioned at the one o-clock position.  This locates the tubing at the correct angle to pick up all the fuel in the tank when flown counter-clockwise C/L.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017298

My standard procedure for insuring the NVA is clear. It was plugged despite looking clean externally.  I was burned once by this, couldn't figure out why my engine would not run.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017299
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017300
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017302
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017301
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017303

Really small fuel tank but when combined with the engines cavity probably gives sufficient flight times.  But if I recall correctly, Kims flight with the big Cosmic Wind didn't last very long.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:10 pm

More "scientific" box repair.  Changing from a glued together box to an open the flap box.  Necessary for a couple of reasons.  

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017304

What was not necessary was me buying another Big Guy Testors Cosmic Wind.  

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Wuaw9h10

But I found a reason.  The address on the box.  Coca-Cola.  Why would Coca-Cola want a model airplane....... a promotion maybe.  Some kid holding it with a big smile and a Coke in the background.  Or better yet, some kid actually flying it.  It's been done by other businesses. Or maybe just the mail room guy that flys C/L and doesn't want his wife to know that he's buying more stuff.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Coca_b10
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Coca_b11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:16 pm

Amazing. Never thought I would see another, let alone personally knowing who else has one! I am referring to teh black Testors Cosmic wind with teh lightning bolts on it.

That was my exact first ever engine powered airplane. My dad bought it for me from my cousin back in the mid 80's. Tried it and crashed a couple times. Then my dad screwed the bellcrank in a neutral position. Well, I did get more laps out of it than without, but the darn thing just kept going up and diving repetedly until it crashed. We had absolutely no clue what we were doing or how to do it!

Last time I saw it, dad had it hanging in his garage from the rafters. I may be over there this weekend and if so, I will try to remember to snap a picture of it. Thanks for teh memories.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:27 pm

Thanks Chancey, I would love to see a picture of that.

Finished mine. Repaired the box. Made a flap out of a cerial box and stuck the model in there. Left it unassembled and never fueled. Stacked it with the other NIB planes or "special" planes. One day either my son or I will turn them all back into cash. I have had my fun with them and lose interest pretty quickly when they are finished.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017307
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017305
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017306
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:30 pm

I don't even know whats UP BUT it has to Bee Good in here !!! That should do it Bob Very Happy This Site Rocks! I Love This Forum! Old Bugger Clean my glasses Clean my glasses Thumbs Up bounce bounce bounce bounce Airplane Hand Shake sunny Clapping Clapping Clapping 10,000 Club!! Beer Cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:30 am

getback wrote:I don't even know whats UP BUT it has to Bee Good in here !!! That should do it Bob Very Happy This Site Rocks! I Love This Forum! Old Bugger Clean my glasses Clean my glasses Thumbs Up bounce bounce bounce bounce Airplane Hand Shake sunny Clapping Clapping Clapping 10,000 Club!! Beer Cheers

Another Mr. 10,000!!!!!

Welcome to the CEF "Big Mouth Club"........or is that big Keyboard. Smile I always enjoy your posts Eric.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Empty Sprite!

Post  Boats13 Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:02 pm

With Sprite being a Coca Cola brand, I'll bet it was a prototype for a promotion... my uncle had two Cox or Testors cars when I was 4 or 5, one in Sprite livery and the other Coke. They looked like early '60's Indy Cars. I only saw them run once on parallel straight lines. Loud and screamingly fast!

CT
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:20 pm

Boats13 wrote:With Sprite being a Coca Cola brand, I'll  bet it was a prototype for a promotion... my uncle had two Cox or Testors cars when I was 4 or 5, one in Sprite livery and the other Coke. They looked like early '60's Indy Cars. I only saw them run once on parallel straight lines. Loud and screamingly fast!

CT

Thanks CT,

you can get deep into the weeds researching Coke promotions and advertizements, I know I have tried to find a promotion wrapped around that Testors Cosmic Wind sent to the Coca Cola facility in Atlanta with no luck.  They made a million of them.  

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=coca+cola+promotions&qpvt=coca+cola+promoutions&form=IGRE&first=1

I do remember this ad on TV back in the 1970's and thought "Good Luck".  With Vietnam and racial strife rampant I gave it little chance.  Not much better today.  

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=id+like+to+buy+the+world+a+coke+youtube&mid=BC60C26DC56109A4D674BC60C26DC56109A4D674&FORM=VIRE
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Boats13 Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:10 pm

Thanks CT,

you can get deep into the weeds researching Coke promotions and advertizements, I know I have tried to find a promotion wrapped around that Testors Cosmic Wind sent to the Coca Cola facility in Atlanta with no luck.  They made a million of them.  

We call it "Going Down the Rabbit Hole " referencing Alice of course,  and the later Matrix reference... yes, I, too, waste too much time on things like that, most recently on here! I've spent hours wandering through here... the Speed Thread I've been keeping out of for days, now! I read through the first half of it and all the side clicks and videos until 0400... his meticulous research and experiments fascinate me, and the only thing I've never worried about speed... was... wait for it: my model airplanes! Boats, Jeeps, Sailing, Cars (yes, I watch all forms of racing !) are avidly devoured! Unlimited Air Races,  NASCAR,  Sail GP (hydrofoiling catamaran sailboats), America's Cup (hydrofoiling Mono hull sailboats), even Cycle Karts are all fair game for me to shout at! I used to race sailboats,  too!

I do remember this ad on TV back in the 1970's and thought "Good Luck".  With Vietnam and racial strife rampant I gave it little chance.  Not much better today.  

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=id+like+to+buy+the+world+a+coke+youtube&mid=BC60C26DC56109A4D674BC60C26DC56109A4D674&FORM=VIRE[/quote]

Yes, sir I was but a lad, but, I still know every  word! Chuckle out loud... yup, still a pipe dream!
CT
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:52 pm

As an idealistic person I still get chills listening to that song.  If only............

My Daughter-in-law is a big NASCAR fan, hubby not quite so.  They go to the races.  I have met Mike Joy, he's a MG fan, therefore the connection.  Delivered a differential to me in a new BMW i8.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Empty Niiiice!

Post  Boats13 Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:35 am

rsv1cox wrote:As an idealistic person I still get chills listening to that song.  If only............

My Daughter-in-law is a big NASCAR fan, hubby not quite so.  They go to the races.  I have met Mike Joy, he's a MG fan, therefore the connection.  Delivered a differential to me in a new BMW i8.

He has always struck me as down to earth and so earnest about knowing and communicating to all levels of fans... I remember him as a young man starting out... he's come a long way!

MG's huh? My best friend from high school had a '74 (maybe) MGB... I remember how light everything was compared to my Detroit Iron. It was like working a model... my big block Chevy boat engine (with water cooled manifolds and marine reduction gear/transmission) weighed just a little less than his whole car.
I have a soft spot (on my head) for the e36 convertible with the m52 engine, and the old 2002 and the 80's 7 series two door.

CT
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:37 pm

When I was in the Navy I had a good friend that drove a 2002 until the wheels fell off.  A northern car rust bucket victim of salted roads.  He loved that car and spent the rest of his life looking for another.  When I retrired in 1993 I bought a new 325is a retirement from me to me.  I loved that car, but traded it for a new 1995 Volvo 560 station Wagon. I loved that car also but withing two years it started falling apart.  Everything, name it.  When the dealer said you need new motor mounts, that was it.  Came back down to earth from the exotics and bought new Nissan Altima which I kept for years and finally gave it to my daughter.  

Yes, MG's.  Loved the TC - a Classic, but the best driver was the MGB-LE looked good coming or going.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Scan_217

Testors/McCoy engine for the big 22" W/S Cosmic Wind.  Got hooked on them, I didn't set out to gather them but If I had I could not have done better, I think I have every color fuel tank that they came with.  

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017312

Got this one coming

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   White_10

Got to thinking.........what airplane does this shape lend itself to?

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P1017313

Well, a couple a T-28 or a P-47 Thunderbolt.  I have done the T-28 over and over, so maybe the P-47.  I just have to find a kit to build around it.  

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   P-4710

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Top_fl10
Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Sterli11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:04 pm

Robert, I appreciate your time taken; to capture and upload the photos of your many projects that you spend your time on. I copy/save most of these photos in the rsv1cox folder in my archives. It's good "modeling mojo".. IMHO.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:39 am

roddie wrote:Robert, I appreciate your time taken; to capture and upload the photos of your many projects that you spend your time on. I copy/save most of these photos in the rsv1cox folder in my archives. It's good "modeling mojo".. IMHO.

Smile Smile Thanks roddie. Here's another perhaps to be filed under lost causes

Seller accepted my offer this morning.

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   No_spi10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:58 pm

roddie wrote:Robert, I appreciate your time taken; to capture and upload the photos of your many projects that you spend your time on. I copy/save most of these photos in the rsv1cox folder in my archives. It's good "modeling mojo".. IMHO

Me too Bob,  A virtual, historical tour of the 1/2 A model world….. Examples we would have never seen in the detail you have presented apart from your restorations ….. Or their history chased down…,The side trails are always interesting and entertaining as well…. Appreciate your efforts on these Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:07 pm

Ah shucks - Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Thanks guys, and to all that actually read my drivel. It's just fun for me saving/restoring/rebuilding this stuff. Hopefully one day in the future some Doc will rebuild me to operational condition. Smile Smile........Not much hope in that. There just isn't going to be much left of this body when I'm through with it. Old Bugger
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:47 pm

Bob, if you got one these early 1960's Wen-Mac .049 Hot Shot engines in your collection, they are keeper powerhouses.

After a little research, I am amazed at the power of the Wen-Mac .049 Hot Shot engine. It is in the same power class as the Black Widow and its predecessors -- the same year Cox .049 Silver Bee used in the heavier RTF's like the Spitfire, P-40, Super Bee prior to that, etc. Here is Peter Chinn's power curve from his engine test in the 1964 Feb. Model Aircraft Mag.

https://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Wen%20Mac%20.049%20Hot%20Shot%20%282%29.html

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Wen-ma10

This would explain why the heavier slightly larger Wen-Mac AD-2 Skyraider (size compared with Cox's AD-2) was able to fly.
The Hot Shot version is a decent engine in its own right.

IMO, they should have stayed with this one as the later Testors .049 McCoy Red Head Rotomatic went back to Babe Bee milder power instead.

https://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Testors%20McCoy%20.049%20Rotomatic.html
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:58 pm

Thanks for that link George, I bookmarked it.

I'm intent on running these engines. When I get the two inbound engines I will build a jig for them around that attached fuel tank and run them. Maybe something through that 9/16" nose-weight bolt hole into a specially formed jig. Attention to detail they blackened it. They must have special ordered them though the manufacturer, I see no other reason for a bolt of that length.

Such a beautiful thing! Smile

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   No_spi11

I'm getting offers to buy those balsa models from the sellers. But the W/S's are 30 - 36" way to big for the engine. Still looking for a P-47 with a 20/23" spread.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:06 pm

Hi Robert! I have a soft-spot in my heart for the Testors Aero-Models and their engines.

The plastic RTF airplanes were (and still are...) "eye-candy".. but soOoOo heavy. Would be fun for an exhibition; to convert/mount a Cox TD or Norvel .05 in the nose of a 22" version for all-out speed..

IMHO.. Testors' .049 engines (FRV or reed-valve) are better suited for light-weight balsa airframes.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:29 pm

Roddie, I think you're right on Bob's example in the photo, its a Testors McCoy, which came after the Wen-Mac Hot Shot.

The one particular model of Wen-Mac engine I was referring to -- pre-Testors days, was the Hot Shot. Yup, unfortunately the later Testors aligned with Babe Bee power, as you allude to.

McCoy label came when Wen-Mac became a Testors brand.

It was the pre-Testors front rotor valve version Peter Chinn was referring to in his 1964 test. This had the higher compression head instead of plug, and no doubt additional porting changes.

Just like the Cox's, not all Coxes came with dual bypasses except the Silver Bee, P-40, and the earlier Super Bee (I believe).

I have the later Red Head Rotomatic with black plastic tank mount and another later example.

Following is its HP curve from Jan. 1970 Model Airplane News, Peter Chinn's test:

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Testor14

Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.   Lil_to10
Testors McCoy .049 Red Head Rotomatic on my Goldberg Little Toot CL bipe.

When Bill Netzeband got involved with the Testors 8000 and its "pipe bomb" RTF power variants, he added a touch of class with those powerful reedie creations.

Clean my glasses This Site Rocks! lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next