Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by robot797 Today at 10:36 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:29 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by rdw777 Today at 9:55 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Today at 9:49 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by rsv1cox Today at 9:39 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 6:32 am

» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:54 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Box-o-Engines has Arrived!

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 Empty Re: Box-o-Engines has Arrived!

Post  Cribbs74 Fri May 25, 2012 12:20 pm

microflitedude wrote:Looks good, I need to try the dremel method of shining the heads again. Last time I did, the head flew across the room. Very Happy

Yeah looks great!

What did you use to buff the head?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri May 25, 2012 12:24 pm

cribbs74 wrote:
microflitedude wrote:Looks good, I need to try the dremel method of shining the heads again. Last time I did, the head flew across the room. Very Happy

Yeah looks great!

Thanks! Yep...ain't got a clue 'bout that whole "glowhead-poppin-outta-chuck-and-bouncing-round-the-shop-like-a-pinball-from-heck !!!!

Nope...never EVER happened to me !

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri May 25, 2012 12:29 pm

cribbs74 wrote:

I got some wet-or-dry black 600 grit laying around. It folds with a flat hem that fits between the fins real easy.

Did the spinner with some polishing compound on a paper towel:

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 7_29
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Fri May 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Kim wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:

I got some wet-or-dry black 600 grit laying around. It folds with a flat hem that fits between the fins real easy.

Did the spinner with some polishing compound on a paper towel:

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 7_29

I would be most interested in where you found that 5-40 nut.... Very Happy
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri May 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Yo! Microfasteners has them: http://www.microfasteners.com/catalog/products/NUTHN.cfm

But get me your address again (I may still have it...but you know how I can be) and I'll shoot you some !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Fri May 25, 2012 2:01 pm

SWEET ! Looks like a great price too on your engines!

Last edited by WingingIt74 on Fri May 25, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri May 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Nice engine, the bearings and reed were in good shape after many years?
I would think parts are hard to come by, do you know a source for parts?
I was thinking of getting one.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri May 25, 2012 3:39 pm

crankbndr wrote:Nice engine, the bearings and reed were in good shape after many years?
I would think parts are hard to come by, do you know a source for parts?
I was thinking of getting one.

Don't know for sure on the parts for the thing...I just sorta jumped in. Think I HAVE seen the spring and reed for sale somewhere...it's an "O" shape with two tabs...sorry I didn't think to post a photo.

It's insides looked like new,and with the bearing soaked with fuel and spun, there appeared to be no slop, so she looks to be pretty low time. It's gonna have a pretty easy life with me, boosting the B.O.T. with maybe some control line flying in it's future...

Last edited by Kim on Fri May 25, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri May 25, 2012 3:50 pm

WingingIt74 wrote:SWEET ! Looks like a great price too on your engines!

Yeah...I'm pretty happy... especially since the Olympic is apparently gonna be a good runner.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri May 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Kim wrote:
microflitedude wrote:Nice score Kim.

That is indeed a "Spook" engine, but I am not sure of their going price. The NIB ones pull some good $$$.

Selling any of it?

Hey Micro, you called it you get it. Yeah, I'm intending to keep the Olympic and recycle the rest out to the forum, with hopes of the the balance coming out to my getting reasonable deal on the .15.

The RR-1's already have dibs thrown on them...just got to work out some decent "none-rip-off" prices on them...once I'm done with them.

Gonna take me a while to get organized...got some other non-fun stuff I'm committed to.

The month of June, however, is gonna be "All Kim...All the Time"...I'm going stealth and claiming all my weekends for my own silly, selfish fun!

would you be willing to sell the .010 or trade for it?

I am really interested and have been looking for one for a while
thanks, Mitch
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri May 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Super job!! That engine really cleaned up nicely, not to mention, seems like you've got a runner too.

PS: I like shiney things --- must be the Old Crow in me. Very Happy

Last edited by andrew on Sat May 26, 2012 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri May 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Looks great and it ran great too!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 Empty magic box

Post  dankar04 Tue May 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Nice deal. You never know what will show up. Hace a good time getting them in shape you want. They look good.
Memorial Day Flying
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 Empty re: box o engines to KIM

Post  happydad Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:20 am

Kim wrote:Got up early to show some attention to this Olympic .15, and it turned out to be a very friendly engine.

I made a half-hearted effort to pull the cylinder/piston, but when it put up a fight, I simply soaked the whole thing for a while and then tried turning it over with a prop. To my surprise, it broke loose quite easily, so I just dodged on doing any damage to the fins. The engine seemed REALLY clean on the inside for a "lay-around" type.

The thing cranked up without too much messing around, and went up to the low 14's on a Master Airscrew 8-4 on Sig 15%.

If I get a chance, I'll post some video of it on the stand, but the photos pretty well cover the deal.

Now, to introduce it to the Big B.O.T. !!!!!

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 1_122

WOW. all i can say is do you offer any classes in photography, cleaning engines and most importantly bidding on engines on XYZ website.
you take fantastic, clear, FOCUSED pictures, offer excellent advice , with pics, for cleaning engines and seem to know where to go and how to get really, really good deals. i bow to your excellence oh great one. LOL
seriously have you made any videos or written a book on cleaning engines because you are correct, careful and cautious. thanks again for excellent everything. just happy to look.

happydad p.s. how can i give you 1000 points for your presentation?

Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:42 am

Geez H.D. Thank You !

The thing is though, most of this engine stuff has come to me from the guys here, I just love utilizing it! Two or three years ago, before finding this Forum and Mark Boesen's excellent Museum-Level .049 Collectors Group on yahoo, I wouldn't have known an RR-1 or Space Hopper if someone had bounced one off my head. Mark's site also pointed me to Warren Ledbetter's Wikipedia site...which let me know just how LITTLE I knew about the history of Mr. Cox's marvelous toys.

All of this, as you will see with your membership here, is boosted even further with the DEEP bucket of knowledge and experience of the guys here. We got the Real Players here ! Their passion for these engines can lead to a lot of exchanges and debates, but with a base of mutual respect that's absent on many internet forums.

I owe the photographs to my tortured little Cannon pocket camera...it lets me off the hook by doing the fancy figuring to make the photos I post.

I have a spare-change "Ebay War Chest" bucket that gets dumped into my Credit Union's Pay Pal-accessible account when one of these guys posts an interesting auction cranking up. I don't have the sniping skills of some of the guys here, but my one "Ebay Skill" that I take pride in is that I won't chase one of these deals off a cliff, so to speak. Like the guys here, I lose on most of them, but once in a while, a good deal falls on me...and allows me that highly addictive dose of childhood "Christmas Morning"!

You probably won't be "just looking" for very long once you put your foot in the Cox quick-sand here, and all these Enablers pounce on you !

As Eb pointed out in another thread..."It's all this Forum's Fault" !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 Empty Got the RR-1's Going

Post  Kim Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:15 am

Over the past two nights, I was able to get the two Ebay RR-1's up and running. They were disassembled, got a good soaking, toothbrush treatment, and gaskets before I put them on the stand.

The first one was the slightly more color-faded engine, and it cranked up the Cox gray 5-3 prop to the low 15's on Sig 25% with the standard glowhead that came with it. The needle valve adjustment was rock-solid, with the engine staying in a four-stroke "gurgle", or peaked with a slight break, depending on where I set it.

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 1_128

The second fought me a little. It's glowplug was bad, and the cylinder was determined NOT to let go of it! Out comes the heat gun, leather strap, and...GASP!!!!...my trusty Vise Grips! I also had a shallow dish of alcohol standing by for "shock value".

With the leather strap wrapped around the upper fins of the cylinder and the vise grips tightened just enough to scare me, I tried to break the head loose with one of my 'full circle' wrenches...no go. A little more torque on the vise grips, and good shot of heat on the cylinder ('you smell hot leather?')...no good the first time...then a reheat with the glowhead getting a quick dunk in the alcohol. The head came loose so fast, I thought for an instant that I'd twisted the top off of it ! 'Well...OK then!"

I had one of Bernie's standard plugs laying close by...there's actually a LOT of Bernie's stuff laying around the Skunk Works...so I stuck it all back together and headed out to Test Cell #1.

The RR-1 exploded to life with a scream that made me back up much like Rusty's son when he was confronted by an angry Tee Dee.

It burst to the mid-17's and blew on up to the mid 18's as I adjusted the needle valve like I was trying pet a hornet.

I had been REAL conservative with my first RR-1...just being happy to get a 50 year-old engine running...and hadn't pushed it. With this one, however, I was sucked into the chasm of 'Speed is Life', and right or wrong, let this dog go supersonic for a full tank of fuel (well, OK, I MIGHT have hot-fueled it a bit to stretch out this special moment).

So THIS is what the whole RR-1 thing was about...

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 1_129

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:05 am

Nice trick with heating the cylinder and then quenching the head in alcohol. That's a little tidbit I'll have to store away for future use. You're going to have to rename your shop: COX Rehab
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:38 am

andrew wrote:Nice trick with heating the cylinder and then quenching the head in alcohol. That's a little tidbit I'll have to store away for future use. You're going to have to rename your shop: COX Rehab

Thanks Andrew! So far, this box of old parts has been pretty kind to me !!! Sometimes this place is closer to be "Kim Rehab"...at least when stuff cooperates for a while ! I tend to sleep pretty deep after an evening of messing with this stuff.

I'm working on the .010 now, and can't get it to settle down into a steady run and quit surging all over the place. I get the sense that it's sucking air from somewhere, though the carb mounting area looks good. The plastic carb body has a plug in the tiny pressure tap, so this thing MIGHT have been drilled.

Got to shut down for now...so maybe get back to it late tonight or early tomorrow. Got myself a beautiful Saturday with no previous promises, and the Train's got a full gas tank. Time for a little air!

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 1_130

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 2_84
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 Empty re: box-o-engines Kim

Post  happydad Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Kim wrote:Geez H.D. Thank You !

The thing is though, most of this engine stuff has come to me from the guys here, I just love utilizing it! Two or three years ago, before finding this Forum and Mark Boesen's excellent Museum-Level .049 Collectors Group on yahoo, I wouldn't have known an RR-1 or Space Hopper if someone had bounced one off my head. Mark's site also pointed me to Warren Ledbetter's Wikipedia site...which let me know just how LITTLE I knew about the history of Mr. Cox's marvelous toys.

All of this, as you will see with your membership here, is boosted even further with the DEEP bucket of knowledge and experience of the guys here. We got the Real Players here ! Their passion for these engines can lead to a lot of exchanges and debates, but with a base of mutual respect that's absent on many internet forums.

I owe the photographs to my tortured little Cannon pocket camera...it lets me off the hook by doing the fancy figuring to make the photos I post.

I have a spare-change "Ebay War Chest" bucket that gets dumped into my Credit Union's Pay Pal-accessible account when one of these guys posts an interesting auction cranking up. I don't have the sniping skills of some of the guys here, but my one "Ebay Skill" that I take pride in is that I won't chase one of these deals off a cliff, so to speak. Like the guys here, I lose on most of them, but once in a while, a good deal falls on me...and allows me that highly addictive dose of childhood "Christmas Morning"!

You probably won't be "just looking" for very long once you put your foot in the Cox quick-sand here, and all these Enablers pounce on you !

As Eb pointed out in another thread..."It's all this Forum's Fault" !!!!

Kim: what was that you said? could you repeat it all again. Especially the part about learning from "the guys here". well said. and keep up the good work. especially posting your engine cleanup projects so other modelers can see how to do it right. thanks again.

happydad

Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Kim wrote:
andrew wrote:Nice trick with heating the cylinder and then quenching the head in alcohol. That's a little tidbit I'll have to store away for future use. You're going to have to rename your shop: COX Rehab

Thanks Andrew! So far, this box of old parts has been pretty kind to me !!! Sometimes this place is closer to be "Kim Rehab"...at least when stuff cooperates for a while ! I tend to sleep pretty deep after an evening of messing with this stuff.

I'm working on the .010 now, and can't get it to settle down into a steady run and quit surging all over the place. I get the sense that it's sucking air from somewhere, though the carb mounting area looks good. The plastic carb body has a plug in the tiny pressure tap, so this thing MIGHT have been drilled.

Got to shut down for now...so maybe get back to it late tonight or early tomorrow. Got myself a beautiful Saturday with no previous promises, and the Train's got a full gas tank. Time for a little air!

man that teedee 010 looks nice Smile i will have to get me one of these days
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Kim wrote:

Check for a good gasket seal on the rear of the tank. I had a bad seal once and because of the proximity of the gasket to the fuel pickup nipple it tends to draw air into the fuel line.
Same symptoms you are having.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:20 am

cribbs74 wrote:

Check for a good gasket seal on the rear of the tank. I had a bad seal once and because of the proximity of the gasket to the fuel pickup nipple it tends to draw air into the fuel line.

Thanks! Will Do. Ought to be able to look at it this afternoon!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:42 am

No prob Kim, could just be the NV and venturi holes need some love. Although seeing as you're a Wiz at cleaning up old engines you probably had that covered already.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:28 am

Kim wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:

AND...what might be an even BETTER idea...PUT a GASKET in it to begin with !!! Man...time to load up the Train for three-day get-away.

I hereby resign any former "Wiz" status that might have been over-generously bestowed upon me !!!!

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 No_gas10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Kim wrote:
Kim wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:

AND...what might be an even BETTER idea...PUT a GASKET in it to begin with !!! Man...time to load up the Train for three-day get-away.

I hereby resign any former "Wiz" status that might have been over-generously bestowed upon me !!!!

lol!

Hey Kim, we are all human. Honest mistake, reedies don't have one and seeing as the tanks appear similar it would be easily overlooked. A gasket should have you turning 30K in no time.

Box-o-Engines has Arrived! - Page 2 No_gas10
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next