Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Cox_ba12

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 08:04

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 07:41

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 06:46

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 06:17

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 00:34

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 21:03

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 16:16

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 07:31

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 03:16

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26 2024, 06:20

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25 2024, 22:25

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Empty
Live on Patrol

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Empty Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets.

Post  Admin Tue Sep 27 2011, 19:16

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Factor10
I have been making venturi gaskets for years now and I have tried many different ways. The best way so far is the way I'm going to describe below. All you'll need is a fresh sharp razor blade, bamboo skewer, and some Sullivan silicone fuel tubing.

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. -412

Slip the fuel tubing onto one of the ends of the skewer. While holding your razor blade tightly in one hand, steadily rotate the skewer slowly clockwise. I would suggest you go clockwise so you can see when the cut is finished and it also helps in cutting a straight edge.

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Cuttin10

You can make one or continue up the fuel tubing and make as many as you can. Sure there may be some messed up ones (too thick, too thin, uneven edge...).

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. New_cu10

Just slide them off the skewer and you're ready to install them!

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Ventur10
Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. -711

Admin

Last edited by Admin on Thu Feb 19 2015, 13:35; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Replaced missing pictures)
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Empty Re: Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets.

Post  Carl Tue Sep 27 2011, 19:50

I have never bought a venturi gasket as a part. i have always made them myself. the fuel tubing you are using should work but it has a small inner circumference. I used to use some black fuel tubing that was soft and had the large inner circumference about the same size as the original venturi gasket.
Carl
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Empty Re: Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets.

Post  microflitedude Tue Sep 27 2011, 20:33

Thanks so much! I think I'll go make one for my babe bee.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Sep 27 2011, 20:42

Nicely done.

I always keep a couple of packs of bamboo skewers of different sizes on hand all the time. For 1/2A (and in foamies), they have a lot of uses in building. They're tough, will flex before breaking, and CHEAP. They make great pushrods.
If you haven't used them, pick up a pack and you'll find lots of applications, if for nothing else other than mixing epoxy.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 27 2011, 21:29

Thanks, making venturi gaskets from fuel tubing is probably as old as the bee engines themselves. Mostly crap people come up with when they are stranded out at the field with a sad Babe Bee. If anyone is interested, I could put together a "How to make reed valves out of floppy discs" topic. I would probably have to do that tomorrow though.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Sep 27 2011, 21:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix some text)
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Sep 27 2011, 21:41

Admin wrote:If anyone is interested, I could put together a "How to make reed valves out of floppy discs" topic.

A good "Show and Tell" article would be great. I've been using floppies for some time for reeds. You can use acetone to completely clean the oxide from the surface leaving a clear mylar disk. I don't know if it makes any difference, but not having the oxide in the engine can't hurt.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 23 2012, 12:04

I have now made the how to on making reeds out of floppy disks!

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t3064-how-to-make-reed-valves-out-of-a-floppy-disk

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 19 2015, 09:55

Another method of making venturi gaskets for the Bee "in a pinch".. is to find some thick cardstock and punch/drill a 9/64" hole (.140") approx. 1/2" in from an edge. Using a scissor-type standard hole-punch; center the hole in the "eye" of the punch and proceed to punch-out your gasket. If too thin.. make a second one. It's so easy.. you'll probably want to make a bunch!

I actually made these using 1/8" and a 1/4" hole punches.

Card-stock..

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Dsc02513
Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Dsc02514

and rubber from an inner-tube..

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Dsc02515

Inner-tube rubber is a little "thick".. but will compress when tightening the four tank screws. A "Playtex" kitchen-cleaning glove is just about the perfect thickness of material to use.

Close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Feb 19 2015, 10:04

Thanks Roddie. I never cared for the ones we buy, and I always suspect them when anything seems won'y about the engine runs.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Feb 19 2015, 13:22

Glad to see others have given it a shot with success. I was lacking an O-ring gasket for the Babe Bee, and Sullivan fuel tubing came to the rescue two years ago. I'm also finding the newer RTV sealants work as good gasket replacements on my larger engines.

I love to hear success stories. Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 19 2015, 13:37

Good idea Roddie!

I replaced the missing pictures.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Feb 19 2015, 17:36

from the other post Cold  
been making them awhile but have not tried the skewer . I have been using a sharp pair of small dikes and stretching the ring over the tube with a probe pick and my finger nail holding it in place.  makes a really good seal . Haven't tried the floppy disc for reeds but need to just another way to cut back on expenses. I use to get O-rings from 2 cycle engine carb. kits from work but not no more  What? I still have A friend that will save them for me  Thumbs Up    

Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Feb 19 2015, 22:53

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Empty Amazon O-Rings

Post  ikuraprime Sat Jul 08 2017, 08:22

Followed the link posted here and bought the set. They fit perfectly. Soaked one in Nitro 25% Glow Fuel for 8 days and the rubber seems fine and unchanged. Asked there what kind of rubber but no reply. Just in case you wanted to know. Regards
ikuraprime
ikuraprime
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Jul 08 2017, 09:17

I've used them for years and think they're better then OEM.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Empty O-rings

Post  ikuraprime Sat Jul 08 2017, 12:26

So cool to know! I've been out of the Cox 'everything' for more than 43 years now but last month too much wine made me buy a 1963 PT-19 I'm souping/restoring up, which meant the engine too. I had bought a gasket off ebay and it just squished flat and remained flat- almost broke apart.
ikuraprime
ikuraprime
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Aug 02 2017, 13:06

I just made these using my aforementioned "hole-punch" technique..

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Kitche10
Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Kitche11
Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Kitche12

The "purple" material was cut out from the cuff of a common kitchen-glove. It is spongy-rubber (Latex??) and .015" (.4mm) thick. The plastic sheet was needed for some rigidity behind the rubber to get a clean cut-out of the gasket using the paper-punch. The plastic is only .005" thick.. and might be a good material for making reeds.

It seems that a "single-thickness" of this rubber should do the job as a gasket.. because when assembling the tank-bowl to the backplate, there's a very slight gap that closes with a light "pinching-together" of the assembly.

Incidentally.. punching some 1/4" blanks of this rubber and piercing the centers with an awl might make good gaskets for sealing underneath the case-screw heads in the backplate.. or helping to seal a backplate that's damaged where the screws seat. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Aug 02 2017, 18:13

roddie wrote:I just made these using my aforementioned "hole-punch" technique..

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Kitche10
Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Kitche11
Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Kitche12

The "purple" material was cut out from the cuff of a common kitchen-glove. It is spongy-rubber (Latex??) and .015" (.4mm) thick. The plastic sheet was needed for some rigidity behind the rubber to get a clean cut-out of the gasket using the paper-punch. The plastic is only .005" thick.. and might be a good material for making reeds.

It seems that a "single-thickness" of this rubber should do the job as a gasket.. because when assembling the tank-bowl to the backplate, there's a very slight gap that closes with a light "pinching-together" of the assembly.

Incidentally.. punching some 1/4" blanks of this rubber and piercing the centers with an awl might make good gaskets for sealing underneath the case-screw heads in the backplate.. or helping to seal a backplate that's damaged where the screws seat. Smile

Awesome Idea. I will have to look into a couple of holepunches for this alone! And I'll hear the screaming from down here when the other half washes the dishes.... Shocked
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Aug 02 2017, 21:52

NEW222 wrote:

Awesome Idea. I will have to look into a couple of holepunches for this alone! And I'll hear the screaming from down here when the other half washes the dishes.... Shocked

Just blame me Chancey!!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Aug 02 2017, 23:06

....for the cost of a pair of dishwashing gloves or a hole punch, you could just buy a couple dozen o-rings?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Aug 02 2017, 23:13

It's interesting that the first run of Babe Bees didn't used the 'fillister' head screws and had leak issues:
Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. 002_210
Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. 006_310
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Aug 03 2017, 13:03

Mark Boesen wrote:....for the cost of a pair of dishwashing gloves or a hole punch, you could just buy a couple dozen o-rings?

This is true Mark.. but many people already have these items at home.. and in a pinch, sometimes you have to be inventive. Laughing .
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Aug 03 2017, 14:34

These dishwashing gloves might be the best home made gasket yet. They're cute too, maybe I'll get some pink ones, easy to find on the dirty floor.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Aug 03 2017, 16:01

roddie wrote:
Mark Boesen wrote:....for the cost of a pair of dishwashing gloves or a hole punch, you could just buy a couple dozen o-rings?

This is true Mark.. but many people already have these items at home.. and in a pinch, sometimes you have to be inventive. Laughing .

lol, just trying to help out the home life, i hate to say, but i know from personal experience the better half doesn't alway appreciate inventiveness :^ (...
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Quick and easy way to make venturi gaskets. Empty Commercial O rings

Post  Bob A Wed Aug 14 2019, 19:49

It seems to me that if an accurate size measurement and/or correct stock number could be found for the Cox venturi O rings, that a lifetime supply of a box of 100 or more could be purchased at a reasonable price from a commercial O ring supplier. Has anyone ever done this? Bob A
Bob A
Bob A
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next